Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:42 AM

DWELLING OF DUELS ARCHIVE EXPLORER

h67qwTE.png

I've been working on this project for a while now leading up to the 15th anniversary of DoD, and I need some QA testing/feedback on it.

Inspired by the music player known as "vip.swf" , I noticed how we have over 3000+ SONGS in the DoD archive, but with no easy way to listen to them all in a playlist or shuffle mode. I went about to try and fix that.

Try it out, if you find any songs that are broken/any other bugs, let me know! I've been using this a lot to listen to tracks while writing the Legacy Month Artist Spotlights, as well as while working on this project itself (so meta).

Features:

• Search bar that filters within song title, game, artist, and month title
  • Hit the stars on the left to save a track to your favorites (saved to your browser, different browser = no favorites). Hit the "Faves" heading to filter the list down to your favorites
  • Download link next to the fav button
  • Shuffle mode
  • Volume slider

KNOWN ISSUES:

• Images are broken when viewing on my s3 site
  • I didn't test it at all on mobile so it might not work at all (going to redesign with a mobile-first design in the future, wanted to get this out as soon as it was functional though)
  • I can't get anything to play when I hit the shuffle button. It just kind of freezes up for a second. Then when I hit the play button and then hit next, it works.

My expectation from using other music streaming apps is that when you hit the shuffle button it'll automatically start with a random song if nothing is playing.

• The volume bar seems really small like it is kind of just squeezed in there. Might be better to make that slightly bigger and make the length of the time bar a bit shorter.

• clicking the "progress bar" before doing anything else results in a JS error popup here on Firefox.

CHECK IT OUT HERE

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png
PC Game Metal

#2 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:02 AM

You are my queen. <3

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#3 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:05 PM

This is one of the better achievements mankind has made using the power of the internet.

BRAINMEAT (and POWER METAL CHIPS) - My original metal and chiptune albums on Bandcamp (all free/name your price)
SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#4 3ngag3

3ngag3

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:20 PM

You are my queen. <3

You looked so serene!

3fb.png

Use 800 gigabytes of samples, I give approximately 0 gigafucks.

Where does Mario poop in the airship? Behind his chair? In Cappy?

#5 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,705 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:08 PM

La-prueba-de-las-destrucci%C3%B3n-del-au

The music I make.

Simpsons Shizzposting

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#6 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,648 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:08 PM

Holy shit

banner.png

#7 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:51 PM

Holy shit

amTr0fm.png

#8 clansmaneddie

clansmaneddie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:17 PM

Im generally horrible at catching up with dod, this makes it such a dream, shuffle mode has already paid dividends. I am glad.

I'd take Snapple's satirical pestering over your tired ass trolling ANY DAY.

#9 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:52 PM

This is amazing. Great job!

cncdacs.png?raw=1

#10 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,797 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:31 PM

Holy shit, dude

#11 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:57 PM

not much, just spending hours hitting the next track button till one of mine comes up, you?

Problem is once I do finally get one of my tracks I'll start cringing and ALT+F4 till I accidentally close out of every app.

amTr0fm.png

#12 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 04:34 PM

This is awesome! Great job! Here are a few thoughts:

1) Sick.

2) It takes a while to load. That might be my computer or internet connection right now, but are there any plans to maybe dynamically load all of the songs when the user first visits the page, so they can get started more quickly? Or something along those lines. 

3) I can't get anything to play when I hit the shuffle button. It just kind of freezes up for a second. Then when I hit the play button and then hit next, it works.

My expectation from using other music streaming apps is that when you hit the shuffle button it'll automatically start with a random song if nothing is playing. 

4) The volume bar seems really small like it is kind of just squeezed in there. Might be better to make that slightly bigger and make the length of the time bar a bit shorter. 

5) Displaying the track length next to the current timestamp would be cool too.

6) What tech did you use to build this? Is it all client side JS? What kind of backend? Any kind of front end CSS framework like Bootstrap or Foundation?

7) Do you (or DoD in general) plan on open sourcing this so other programmer shizzies and VGM-minded devs can help out? :)

#13 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:22 PM

This is awesome! Great job! Here are a few thoughts:

1) Sick.

2) It takes a while to load. That might be my computer or internet connection right now, but are there any plans to maybe dynamically load all of the songs when the user first visits the page, so they can get started more quickly? Or something along those lines. 

3) I can't get anything to play when I hit the shuffle button. It just kind of freezes up for a second. Then when I hit the play button and then hit next, it works.

4) The volume bar seems really small like it is kind of just squeezed in there. Might be better to make that slightly bigger and make the length of the time bar a bit shorter. 

5) Displaying the track length next to the current timestamp would be cool too.

6) What tech did you use to build this? Is it all client side JS? What kind of backend? Any kind of front end CSS framework like Bootstrap or Foundation?

7) Do you (or DoD in general) plan on open sourcing this so other programmer shizzies and VGM-minded devs can help out? :)

1) Barf

2) Not sure if the issue for you is with the songs loading or the actual page loading, the html file of the page contains a table with a row for every song with all of the relevant links, so clicking a song is just like playing a track on the normal duel pages. No way I'm gonna pre load 3k songs XD

3) The shuffle button is a toggle for what track queues up next, but good idea on having it start playing no matter what. Originally I had the page autoplay a track, but that was bad UX and Chrome didnt like that, so I turned it off. I can repurpose it for this use though.

4) Noted

5) Noted

6) adamzap designed the current version of the DoD website and it's generator, which builds the pages using python and jinja templates, and Bootstrap for styling. I didnt use any Bootstrap styles in this though(just inline styles in the html lmao) The HTML here is just generated using the jinja templates, then the interactivity is all just jQuery and Howler.js for sound playback. A lost of the basic stuff I had already done when I made the music page for Stroggos Rising (which is currently down right now, ill get around to bringing that back online sometime)

7) adamzap's code is already on github, which is the only reason i started on this project anyways, haha. I forked his repo to work on this code, haven't made a PR yet until I had some feedback and fixed a few bugs.

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png
PC Game Metal

#14 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:55 PM

Ya but can it stream hentai, Yet? I want my bible black

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#15 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:49 AM

Now i know why Ivan told me to be patient, when i showed him my prototype for this idea a couple of months ago.

Indeed way cooler than my idea. (althrough i have a prototype version running as a native android app, if you're interested in that code just pm me.)

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://tibone.bandcamp.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users