Photo

Optovania -- (My NES dev, hax & music site)

18 replies to this topic

#1 SSS key

SSS key

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:50 PM

Just an update on what I've been up to after all this time of being reclusive and out of touch with the universe in the last 5+ years or so:

http://www.optovania.com

I made this site last year and then reprogrammed it again this year. It is a site detailing the portfolio of my works as it pertains to the NES, mainly homebrewing, rom-hacking, and soundtracks. It includes combination of completed works, works in progress, and incomplete / abandoned works.

My current project is an NES sound engine and a sidescroller homebrew game. I am picking up work on them again after nearly two years of inactivity on them (thanks to getting sidetracked with rom hacks and dealing with some life issues).

The goal here is to get involved and excited about making things NES and support others who are doing it as well. I am done with being a basement troll. I went through a lot of changes personally within in this decade and have been letting go of a lot of things that I used to do, but I this is the one major thing I have not let go of because the NES I feel is important to me and is the one thing that has been consistently exciting to me throughout the course of my entire life.

I will make it a priority to post updates frequently so I'll be excited to hear thoughts, feedback and criticism and respond to them.

Yay.

Bingo... O ho ho ho!!

#2 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:57 PM

we <3 u
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

#3 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,797 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:29 PM

Whoah I actually really want to play your Bomberman and Pyronaut...hopefully they'll work on my hacked Vita.

Wait there's no ROM...How do I play?  (Don't worry, Nintendo of America, it's cool)

#4 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:38 PM

Yo this Pyronaut title track is some juicy jam!

#5 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • 8,648 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 03:09 PM

Awesome! I'm thoroughly eager to read. I've also dipped a toe into nesdev stuff, may want to pick your brain at some point.

Just a note about the site, on mobile for me, the menu links don't actually work, they highlight but don't go anywhere: https://i.imgur.com/iX3vja4.png

Was the same in Android chrome and Firefox focus.

banner.png

#6 SSS key

SSS key

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:41 PM

I can PM you a test rom.

Thanks for letting me know. The web programming is pretty volatile. Maybe I can pick your brains on that. I only tested it for iPhone with mobile.
Bingo... O ho ho ho!!

#7 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:47 AM

Really cool.

Are you doing everything in asm?

Is there a decent set of C tools for the NES? I'm reading through and seems to be a lot of asm involved.

How are you building the levels for Rollie? metatiles?

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://tibone.bandcamp.com

#8 SSS key

SSS key

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:59 PM

Everything is done in 6502, yes.

There is some library out there that uses C, but I've obviously have never touched. It's author is known as Shiru.

The levels are constructed with metatile chunks writing offscreen every split second the screen is scrolling during gameplay. They are predefined by a list of screen-sized "pages", which in turn contain four predefined "quartiles" of metatile data. So screens, quartiles, and metatile objects (like a 16x16 metatile block of rock) are often recycled. The rest of the background, like the trees and the black, exist by default. About the easiest way I can explain it at the moment.

Bingo... O ho ho ho!!

#9 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:59 PM

Yes! All the technical stuff goes over my head, but I love playing around with these homebrew roms and being super impressed. Glad to have you around again, Chris

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#10 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:52 PM

SSS Key, weren't you like...REALLY good at Ikaruga back in the day?

#11 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:04 PM

You might be thinking of that Shiner guy

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#12 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:05 PM

Oohh yeah.

#13 SSS key

SSS key

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:18 PM

I saw a video of Shiner play my Guardisn Legend mod some years back along with a bunch of others. They did some kind of blind play through race and he won. He was very entertaining.
Bingo... O ho ho ho!!

#14 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:00 PM

So i had no idea you were Optomon. CV: Chorus of Mysteries is one of the two romhacks (the other being Redrum's Blood Moon) that i played back in the day. Glad to see youre still doing stuff.

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

sig_2.png

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com  ||  Castellum Sanguis LXVIII: Castlevania X68000 Tribute Album

#15 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:13 PM

Everything is done in 6502, yes.

There is some library out there that uses C, but I've obviously have never touched. It's author is known as Shiru.

The levels are constructed with metatile chunks writing offscreen every split second the screen is scrolling during gameplay. They are predefined by a list of screen-sized "pages", which in turn contain four predefined "quartiles" of metatile data. So screens, quartiles, and metatile objects (like a 16x16 metatile block of rock) are often recycled. The rest of the background, like the trees and the black, exist by default. About the easiest way I can explain it at the moment.

so, you're building your levels by hand? Not using some sort of predefined tile/metatile map and dynamic loading that from rom into ram?

interesting.

I'll look into the C library, asm is not really my thing. I'm working on a game for the SMS, but since i'm using only the background tiles, it's all premapped, without real metatile data.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://tibone.bandcamp.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users