14 replies to this topic

#1 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

Are many of you south of the 49th familiar with native affairs in Canada? Does anyone remember the Oka crisis?

Right now different branches of government have been officially apologizing for abducting children in the 60's and putting them boarding schools that have fatality rates like concentration camps.

At the same time stuff like this is going down.

https://thetyee.ca/A...toten-Blockade/

Given that they're actually not part of Canada but another nation that has held continuous occupation since the ice age, if a cop fires the first shot and they return fire and start killing cops and when all the dust settles the U.N. is going to have to side withe the indigenous peoples, it sure is a good thing that people are more interested in peace!

This is riotworthy!, good thing we handle shit like Canadians...

Edit: and for those who don't know me so well, I'm grew up in a backwoods corporate sacrifice zone at the 56th parrallel, that was barely more than a fur trade post prior to WW2.

startrekanimated_zpsolyb2v0x.gif

#2 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

One of the objections to development in remote areas is that there are rapists and serial killers whom target indigenous women, and they probably reside in the temporary work camps.
I've stayed in them, I spent christmas in one as a child, I notice some people I know who spend lots of time in them tend to become some of the most brutish, racist, misogynistic trolls I know personally.

https://en.wikipedia...ndigenous_women

https://www.macleans...digenous-women/

#3 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:09 PM

Well that's a shitshow.

How do you even begin to solve this nonviolently, though?  Chevron has enough money that they don't really need to follow laws.  And they can buy people with low enough morals/critical thinking skills to be policemen for them.

#4 Coward Crutch

Coward Crutch

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

I had no clue that this was still ongoing. How terrible. Thanks for sharing..

shitty is now.

#5 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,785 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:13 PM

At the same time stuff like this is going down.

https://thetyee.ca/A...toten-Blockade/

I don't understand any of the acronyms in the article, many of the terms, or any of the history. When the article says stuff like "pre-Confederation" I get lost never to recover. Is there an Explain-Like-I'm-Five version somewhere?

banner.png

#6 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

I will try to write a thoughtful post on this at some point. I work on the industry side of things (well, until I start my new job in 2 weeks!) but have also had a lot of interaction with First Nations (indigenous) people in this region and spent a lot of time there; it’s very dear to me.

#7 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:47 PM

LNG Liquefied Natural Gas, or liquefied methane, a technology in its infancy that has a history of blowin' up real good. However rare the accidents may be there isn't a long history of safe use of this technology, and placing it in a poor remote community of mostly minorities... geez. Natural gas is allegedly one of the cleaner variations of fossil fuel, but that's only if you ignore the complications from upsteam production (fracking).

RCMP Royal Canadian Mounted Police, a term that goes back to Canada being a British colony.

NDP MLA, New Democratic Party, Member of Legislative Assembly, basically a regional governor.

Treaty vs unceded land. Some natives signed exploitative contracts that allegedly afforded them protections on their way of life but put them onto reservations, nations that have not signed treaties essentially haven't renounced their land title rights which have first and continual occupation as their argument as they are a pre-document society they don't own their land on paper according to the colonial government when it suits them, in negotiations between Canada and these nations, eminent domain can't be enforced legally. What is and what should be are 2 different things though.

I had no clue that this was still ongoing. How terrible. Thanks for sharing..

There was a solidarity with Unistoten event in Phoenix.

#8 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:55 PM

I read a little bit of it but thought it was basically like the Dakota Access Pipeline protest that happened last year. This seems more complicated. Regardless of what has been signed and such, I feel that all new fossil fuel lines and activity should be halted in order to make the transition to renewable energy.

#9 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:33 AM

https://news.vice.co...LoJCkEYtxi8fW0I

This happened a while ago. None of the Canadian Associated Press would use this photo, they all chose ones that made it look smaller.

This is a regular methane pipeline, the liquefied stuff blows up much more severely.

There is constant fake news from Industry shills that say that the first nations have all agreed to the projects and that certain companies have accident free histories and it's just completely fake... they get consent from first nations that are thousands of kilometres away from the affected areas. They spit their companies up into smaller bits so they can claim a certain segment is accident free and just go bankrupt that one department if they're found liable, and it's also useful for paying less taxes, capital costs up to a certain amount are tax deductible so the more splinter companies you have the more you can not pay.

#10 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:40 AM

I read a little bit of it but thought it was basically like the Dakota Access Pipeline protest that happened last year. This seems more complicated. Regardless of what has been signed and such, I feel that all new fossil fuel lines and activity should be halted in order to make the transition to renewable energy.

I've met some veterans of the Standing Rock showdown and to hear about the overt white supremacy and human rights abuse that happened there is sickening. Young female activists going missing, pigs using pepper spray and rubber bullets and freezing water on elderly women and children just concerned about protecting their water... and guess what happened? A new pipeline built to world class standards blew up and contaminated a bunch of water just like they were trying to prevent.

#11 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

49135524_2391508597590038_66681261995222

News 1130 on the television says the road is open. It's not.

#12 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

https://thetyee.ca/O...0TREwhBK8HoP9_c

This one covers the indigenous land title issue pretty well I think. There are a bunch of nations that are in this situation, and of the ones with treaties most of them were not negotiated in good faith, an agreement that affects future generations negotiated in haste in a foreign language, resettling people into ghettos and destroying their traditional food supply or abducting their children and refusing them treatment for tuberculosis wasn't legal back then either.

I grew up in treaty 8 territory, besides the museum you could spend your life never seeing traditional place names or acknowledgements of former first nations use of the area.

#13 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:27 AM

http://amp.kiro7.com...se from street.

Solidarity with Wet'Suwet'En in Seattle, 5 people arrested for failing to disperse from street.

#14 Leonidus

Leonidus

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:03 PM

I'd like to inform my fellow Americans that there's also been a lot of reports of unauthorized sterilization continuing in modern times on USA reservations, typically during a completely unrelated medical surgery.  The women find out years later when trying to conceive, which really hinders any recourse. 

I mean, if there was one thing I thought we didn't have to do anymore, it was fuck with the native americans who are now such a small percentage of the population that you would think even if they were hypothetically some scourge on the rest of society, there's so few it wouldn't matter?  Like we still can't leave them the fuck alone when there's almost none left?  Unbelievable.  It's fucking infuriating, really.

Pimps don't commit suicide

#15 Jadbgjoka

Jadbgjoka

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:41 AM

Canada also bears the shameful burden of either coercing, or misinforming our native population into sterilization. Up to and including 2018.

It really hurts the soul that this sort of thing still happens.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users