Photo

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

cheeses condiments Bread Fisting

234 replies to this topic

Poll: Grilled Cheese (very important) (46 member(s) have cast votes)

What bread do you normally use?

1. White (19 votes [27.54%])

Percentage of vote: 27.54%

2. Wheat (13 votes [18.84%])

Percentage of vote: 18.84%

3. Texas style (thick) (3 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

4. Sourdough (16 votes [23.19%])

Percentage of vote: 23.19%

5. Ciabatta (1 votes [1.45%])

Percentage of vote: 1.45%

6. Pullman (where do you even buy this?) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Other (7 votes [10.14%])

Percentage of vote: 10.14%

8. vin fiz (10 votes [14.49%])

Percentage of vote: 14.49%

What Cheeses do you regularly use?

1. American (fancy OR Kraft, etc.) (15 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

2. Mild Cheddar (9 votes [7.83%])

Percentage of vote: 7.83%

3. Medium Cheddar (10 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

4. Sharp Cheddar (23 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. Havarti (6 votes [5.22%])

Percentage of vote: 5.22%

6. Muenster (6 votes [5.22%])

7. Gruyere (5 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

8. Provolone (8 votes [6.96%])

Percentage of vote: 6.96%

9. Swiss (10 votes [8.70%])

10. Gouda (6 votes [5.22%])

11. Other (10 votes [8.70%])

12. vin fiz (7 votes [6.09%])

Percentage of vote: 6.09%

What do you regularly dip it in?

1. Ketchup (2 votes [2.99%])

Percentage of vote: 2.99%

2. Mustard (3 votes [4.48%])

Percentage of vote: 4.48%

3. Mayo (i.e., I'm a disgusting human) (1 votes [1.49%])

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

4. BBQ sauce (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Marinara (4 votes [5.97%])

Percentage of vote: 5.97%

6. Tomato Soup (18 votes [26.87%])

Percentage of vote: 26.87%

7. Nothing (25 votes [37.31%])

Percentage of vote: 37.31%

8. Other (5 votes [7.46%])

Percentage of vote: 7.46%

9. Vin fiz (9 votes [13.43%])

Percentage of vote: 13.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:46 PM

If you put put anything other than cheese in between the bread slices you are no longer making a grilled cheese sandwich and need to fuck right off.

I usually use a thick Texas style bread, real butter, 1 slice of mild cheddar and 1 slice of harvarti or meunster. I prefer Sharp cheddar in most situations, but mild just melts better. My wife's Earth Balance vegan whatever butter substitute is surprisingly acceptable.

I'm a heathen who dips in mustard, admittedly. Sometimes I feel like it's something only my dad, brother, and I do. Tomato soup and ketchup are also fine, but mustard is so good!

Although Kraft singles are considered a peasant cheese by some, they are really good for grilled cheeses.

BANDCAMP - Featuring my newest release, Maiden Voyage a tribute to the Star Ocean games
SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#2 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,065 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:49 PM

Proper grilled cheese:

YCCMofC.jpg

GwZ0xka.jpg

You need sharp cheddar if you use any bread with a strong flavor of its own. Sometimes I'll do thick white bread which is decent in a pinch. Dipping in anything sounds gross.

DNa7A7D.jpg

#3 Paragon

Paragon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:52 PM

what's the difference between white and wheat? isn't white bread usually made of wheat?

and apparently pullman bread is the same exact thing, just normal white bread sandwich loaf??? mods, ban this topic

#4 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:58 PM

You need sharp cheddar if you use any bread with a strong flavor of its own. Sometimes I'll do thick white bread which is decent in a pinch. Dipping in anything sounds gross.

But sharp is so dry and takes forever to melt. I need shit that melts. It's always a party when you've got havarti.

what's the difference between white and wheat? isn't white bread usually made of wheat?

and apparently pullman bread is the same exact thing, just normal white bread sandwich loaf??? mods, ban this topic

lol, didn't know this. The internet seems to make a big deal about it for GC.

BANDCAMP - Featuring my newest release, Maiden Voyage a tribute to the Star Ocean games
SoundCloud

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#5 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,065 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:01 PM

But sharp is so dry and takes forever to melt. I need shit that melts. It's always a party when you've got havarti.

I've never had any issues getting sharp to melt.

DNa7A7D.jpg

#6 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:05 PM

And why the nine grain bread, out of curiosity? I'm not trying to chew oats and shit while I'm having a gooey sandwich. Not to be a pretentious prick, but that ruins mouthfeel for me. 

SoundCloud

#7 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,065 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:13 PM

That bread is the bread of gods. It's not chosen for grilled cheese because of the # of grains, it's chosen because it tastes the best.

Also:

DNa7A7D.jpg

#8 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:24 PM

If you put put anything other than cheese in between the bread slices you are no longer making a grilled cheese sandwich and need to fuck right off.

I'm a heathen who dips in mustard, admittedly. Sometimes I feel like it's something only my dad, brother, and I do. Tomato soup and ketchup are also fine, but mustard is so good!

whoah whoah whoah, buddy.  I completely agree with your first point, but if you're dipping it, I'm gonna claim that you are not eating a real grilled cheese.  I've dipped in tomato soup and in mustard.  Both are great!  Both are impure.  (Butter/margarine/oil/salt are ok - especially if their purpose is cooking the bread)

Anyway I voted "none" for dipping, but Vin Fiz for the ingredients.  I actually don't really know how to make grilled cheese!

I think plain bread is best, whether that's white, wheat, texas toast, etc.  Oats won't ruin it for me, but...I guess that's kinda like my sauce point: if you add oats, you're venturing too far away from bread+cheese.

The cheese has gotta be melty.  But it's also gotta taste great.  I wish I could make a grilled cheese with parmesan, for the taste...but it just doesn't liquefy.  My dad used to use Velveeta.

#9 Kirk

Kirk

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 14,209 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:34 PM

ive seen mayo used instead of butter for the cooking process.  i've never had it, but i'd be down for it.

put some pickled jalapenos in it

my dead dad made the best grilled cheese.  typical white bread, butter to fry, 1 slice american cheese, iodized salt on top to finish

sgy5Biv.gif

#10 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:36 PM

whoah whoah whoah, buddy.  I completely agree with your first point, but if you're dipping it, I'm gonna claim that you are not eating a real grilled cheese.  I've dipped in tomato soup and in mustard.  Both are great!  Both are impure.  (Butter/margarine/oil/salt are ok - especially if their purpose is cooking the bread)

Anyway I voted "none" for dipping, but Vin Fiz for the ingredients.  I actually don't really know how to make grilled cheese!

I think plain bread is best, whether that's white, wheat, texas toast, etc.  Oats won't ruin it for me, but...I guess that's kinda like my sauce point: if you add oats, you're venturing too far away from bread+cheese.

The cheese has gotta be melty.  But it's also gotta taste great.  I wish I could make a grilled cheese with parmesan, for the taste...but it just doesn't liquefy.  My dad used to use Velveeta.

I don't care for cheddar in grilled cheese sandwiches, it tends to get a little oily and loses a lot of its flavor when it melts. The best cheese I've found is American, but not the packaged Kraft American, get the stuff in the deli that actually has flavor and texture.

This shit here:

https://boarshead.co...ese-loaf-yellow

Sometimes I like to add a slice of swiss, as swiss toasts and melts really nicely. A good dense sourdough is the ultimate bread for a grilled cheese. Also this poll is incomplete as it's missing the critical "Which fat do you use?" category, as any grilled cheese sandwich made without butter is a mockery and should be re-labelled a panini because that's what it fucking is eat my ass.

amTr0fm.png

#11 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:51 PM

Grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup is the perfect pair during winter months. High grain bread is best because white bread is too plain for me.

Martha Kent original anti baconator

#12 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:56 PM

As far as the most "enjoyable" grilled cheese experience is for me, I like to add bacon bits inside the grilled cheese and eat it with tomato soup. But if we're talking about purity then I'll have it plain with nothing on the side (and then I'll usually eat two because I'm a fat fuck and who the hell eats only one grilled cheese sandwich without a side those things are tiny).

amTr0fm.png

#13 weener

weener

Sleeveless

• Shizzified
  • 12,282 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:00 PM

When I'm not dipping a grilled cheese in tomato soup, I might make instant ramen and dip it in the broth. Yum.

#14 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:05 PM

I hear you, but: pickles. Try it. Thank me.

Also, "wheat" bread is made with a proportion (not too much, or that shit will never rise) of whole wheat flour. White flour is made from only the germ of the wheat.

#15 Trohnics!

Trohnics!

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:08 PM

One type of cheese on each slice of bread. Dear lord I need to get some cheese...

Sy3yrKe.png?3

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users