Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:05 PM

#1 winzip84 - Dragon Saber - Ice Cave - good -0.01
#2 Ivan Hakštok - Ristar - Frozen Fingers - good -0.49
#3 Katamari - Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! - North Polaris - above average +0.32
#4 Cory Johnson - Donkey Kong Country - The Northern Hemisphere is Melting, And We're All Going to Fucking Die - above average +0.11
#5 Czyszy - Mega Man X - What's with this duck? - above average -0.1
#6 tibone - Super Mario Kart - Bossa Snowva - above average -0.16
#7 Ben - Dragon Saber - Ice Cavern - above average -0.35
#8 Sybil Grace - Stardew Valley - The Wind Can Be Still - above average -0.44
#9 The Punxsutawney Cactuar Club - Seiken Densetsu 3 - Secret of the Snow Plow - average +0.23
Voters: 13

Congrats to winzip84, Ivan Hakštok, and Katamari for winning Snow month!

Next month is...

Nobuo Uematsu Month!

19-03-Uematsu.jpg

The theme for this month is Nobuo Uematsu! Any track composed by this most famous of veterans is elgible. Dip deep, because while he is best known for the Final Fantasy series, there are a few other hidden gems that exist out there. Best of luck to all competitors, and have fun! This month's banner was created with love by Robby V!

Thanks to Impact Soundworks, the winner will be getting a prize - one of the following ISW libraries: Shreddage Drums, Shreddage Bass 2, Shreddage, Shreddage 2 or Super Audio Cart!

Also: Did you know that we now have a Discord server? As well as a whole new Music Player? Keep up with the times!

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#2 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

this banner is amazing

amTr0fm.png

#3 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:13 PM

Damnit, Robby.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#4 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:26 AM

Congrats winzip84, your song was kickass!

Really happy with my 2nd place, especially since I've literally had to record my entry with frozen fingers due to the weather suddenly getting really cold here last week.

Now, I want everyone to bring their A-game for Uematsu month because I'm going all out. Gotta make up for not making a FF spoof alt for the last brevity month. :)

#5 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:39 AM

Nice theme. Now let me say something about my entry for the Snow month. So basically the title came from this video.

The brass is Samplemodeling Trombone pitched up a bit and filtered with lots of reverb cause I thought it would sound better that way. I didn't steal the morse code from that Megaman medley. It was more like a homage to DYKWIM by Oasis. The message says "THIS DWELLING OF DUELS ENTRY IS GONNA BLOW YOUR MIND". I know it really didn't but I was really happy with my entry at that moment. You know the feeling when you're really excited about what you've just made. And yeah, the guitar and bass tones should've been less in ya face.

iu_10481_5243319.jpg?raw=1

#6 Smeg

Smeg

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:31 AM

I heard trombone and assumed it was hat :P Didn't even notice that it was synthetic.

#7 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,161 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for that rundown!  I was super curious about the trombone...it sounds realllly good.

I think your tones are fine!  The playing (especially guitar) is the weak link.  A lot of the notes are accidentally slid/hammered/pulled too early, making it all sound less clean/accurate.

Also, the wrong notes don't help.  Check the bass line of the original, and compare to your rhythm guitar chords.

#8 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:18 PM

TBH I didn't care that much about the notes being right. I sometimes change things up here and there to fit my arranging style a little better. As for the playing, then you're absolutely right. I'm still in the process of improving my timing/legato.

#9 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:28 PM

There are no "wrong" notes in my book (there are, however, bad ones, but that's a whole different topic). If we were all meant to cover everything 100% as it's written, there'd be no DoD, no ocremix and no VGM arrange albums. We'd be left only with lame rips.

#10 Hat

Hat

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:39 PM

The brass is Samplemodeling Trombone pitched up a bit and filtered with lots of reverb cause I thought it would sound better that way.

Great job using that.  It sounded really good.  An occasional gliss (i.e. change the portamento time controller in that instrument before one note and then change it back after - maybe lay in on the velocity on that note as well) would have added bit more nuance, but it was good enough that I spent a few minutes wondering, "was that a real trombone?"  The vibrato was tastefully done, and that's huge.  :wub:

I heard trombone and assumed it was hat :P Didn't even notice that it was synthetic.

I bet a bunch of people didn't notice!  :D

Also, the wrong notes don't help.

There were problems with the SNES carts, and some of the notes wouldn't play back correctly in certain consoles.  He fixed them.  :D

TBH I didn't care that much about the notes being right. I sometimes change things up here and there to fit my arranging style a little better. As for the playing, then you're absolutely right. I'm still in the process of improving my timing/legato.

I love taking liberties, especially when it's appropriate to the style of music.  :ph34r:

:ph34r:

#11 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,161 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

eh, at some point wrong/bad are interchangeable.  And there can be "wrong" notes, if you're working in a frame with certain expectations of "correct".

I'm not saying "since the notes were different from the original, they're wrong".  I'm saying: given the style that the recording sounds like it's going for, some of the notes in the rhythm and lead guitars sound like mistakes (or rushed arrangement choices) instead of conscious arrangement choices.

Like, what if someone wanted to cover Master of Puppets and instead of

A-7----5--4--3--------------------------

E------------------------------------------

They did

A-7--------------------------------------

E-------7-6-5---------------------------

(Reminder: even though I like my bands to be accurate to the originals, I still listen to stuff like Metroid Metal and Super Guitar Bros, cause they're good​!)

#12 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:11 PM

Like, what if someone wanted to cover Master of Puppets and instead of

A-7----5--4--3--------------------------

E------------------------------------------

They did

A-7--------------------------------------

E-------7-6-5---------------------------

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#13 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

You made my day!

#14 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:35 PM

Sample modeling stuff is incredible, when used right it sounds authentic.

amTr0fm.png

#15 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:06 AM

I think I really outdid myself this time regarding my DoD entry. 12+ hours of working time so far (according to FL Studio's mouse movement based timer). For my standards, that's a lotta work that went into the entry already. Not only that, but I also made sure that every detail was refined so that it would really shine. And I'm still working on it.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwelling of duels, uematsu, nobuo, you are rock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users