20 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,832 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:55 PM

I was just thinking about Super Mario Bros 3 and wondered what was the first game to come up with that kind of map overworld. I then realized bionic commando is the first instance that I can think of, so I'm wondering if there is anything earlier. I would want to exclude games like Zelda 2 which, while you do technically remove on a grid and go into side view areas, it's more of a free roaming map rather than a node connected set of areas. I wouldn't count games that have a linear set of connected notes or even a set of connected nodes with path branches but you can't backtrack on to those branches, but it would still be good to identify those games to perhaps layout the evolution of the idea. I guess also this wouldn't have to be confined to just games with the top down over world with a side view action area, if there are others which use some other combination a worldview and action view.

banner.png

#2 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:39 PM

ET for atari? Move around, fall in a hole, boom side view your way out.

Edit: I see the error of my ways

BRAINMEAT (and POWER METAL CHIPS) - My original metal and chiptune albums on Bandcamp (all free/name your price)
SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#3 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:01 PM

ET overworld is free-roaming though

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#4 urvile

urvile

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,572 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:24 PM

I don't have an answer for you but I just thought of that weird map system they used on Godzilla for the NES

tumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.gif

THIS PCB IS NOT KILLING

Click here to download Clash Of The Champions 1 & 2! Voted the best text-based fighting game series of the 90's by no one.

EVERY FOREIGN FOOD IS A LIE.

“well, if you get kidnapped and sent down a river for real, yeah, they probably aren’t gonna give you any trail mix.”

Follow me on Twitter: @LowPursuit, @TheUrVile, and/or @LeftTurnDanger

YouTube *** Twitch *** Tumblr *** Mixer *** Giphy *** Instagram *** Everywhere else

#5 Tina

Tina

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:35 PM

I wouldn't count games that have a linear set of connected notes or even a set of connected nodes with path branches but you can't backtrack on to those branches, but it would still be good to identify those games to perhaps layout the evolution of the idea.

The first thing that came to my mind for that is Darius.

#6 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

It was released AFTER both SMB3 and BC but, does Clash at Demonhead count?

edit: I know it doesn't count because of the release date, but does it at least fit the description of networked node map?
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#7 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:21 PM

I don’t think you can backtrack in Darius so that’s probably a no.

Clash at Demonhead should count.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#8 Smeg

Smeg

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:12 PM

It seems like such an obvious game design element that surely something precedes Bionic Commando, and yet...I got nothing. Certainly I don't remember finding it novel in BC at the time, but I guess as kids we just took it all for granted.

#9 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • 8,832 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:20 PM

I was thinking about Clash at Demonhead but it's not a map you can actually move around without moving through the stages, right? Hmm, watching a video now...I see you make choices at the crossroads, so it kind of works.

It seems like such an obvious game design element that surely something precedes Bionic Commando, and yet...I got nothing. Certainly I don't remember finding it novel in BC at the time, but I guess as kids we just took it all for granted.

Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking too, hence the topic.

banner.png

#10 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:45 PM

Chip and Dale?

It's not older than Bionic Commando.. so, no.

Wait, Kenseiden on the SMS ?

After you reach the map (it doesn't start on it, you can back track and it's not free roaming).

Edited by tibone, 20 March 2019 - 06:53 PM.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://ko-fi.com/tibone/

#11 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:01 PM

Isn't the Mega Man stage select a map screen of sorts? The snag is you always start from the center and the paths aren't visible.

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#12 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • 8,832 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:17 PM

Isn't the Mega Man stage select a map screen of sorts? The snag is you always start from the center and the paths aren't visible.

UtACLLk.png

banner.png

#13 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,099 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:36 PM

Clash at Demonhead

#14 jmr

jmr

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:40 AM

Wikipedia calls this one the first, but the source it cites is a dead link:

Apparently this game may also be the first one with a life bar.

#15 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:02 AM

We may have a winner here.

How did you search for it? I'm curious. Or you knew about it beforehand and just used wikipedia to confirm the release date?
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users