165 replies to this topic

#1 FoxxDragon

FoxxDragon

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:33 PM

This existed on the shizz facebook, started by Weener. But It would be really great to push that over here for those not on FB and also just for the sake of having it.

I had people send me some videos recently, so i'll post those. Starting with this

From Streifig:

I had to upload it to youtube so people could play it here, but if people want to upload their own vids instead of having me do that, please do so!

I have also archived the FB thread with a ton of screenshots. I'm sorry they are totally disorganized. I haven't had time to sort it yet. But:

https://www.dropbox....fNcJwm57Pa?dl=0

Please share your stories, re-share the FB posts in a better format, etc.

The other threads are a lot of grieving, lets make this one a celebration.

CDSig.jpg

LOL I am so busy I can't even update my Signature of Things I did. SAAAAAAAAAAAD.
CD Art, Banners, Logos, Graphics, Illustrations, and so on. Want something? hit me up.
Website!:LightningArts.com
My Day Job is a 3d animator for videogames mostly: 3d Animation Demo Reel

See New art before it's released!: Right here

#2 Warrior Bob

Warrior Bob

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:12 PM

This is an FB video, and not mine (thanks Monte!) but here's Daemon when he filled in for Clerian in a Koopas set: https://www.facebook...id=301407309568

He was so stoked, and so nervous about it beforehand, I was like shut the fuck up dude, it's *our* honor to play with *you*! And of course he was amazing. I walked up to him after and slapped him on the shoulder and said "you'll do" and got one of his famous hugs. The excitement and power and musicianship he brought was something we've since cited many times as an inspiration and a drive for us, all thanks to him just being him.

I don't have a video of this one, but one time he jumped in on Storm Eagle without telling anyone outside of us, I forget what Scrab Cakes said but it was something like "you sneaky bastard!" and Daemon flashed him of those big awesome grins like "haha, yep!" It makes me smile just thinking about it.

#3 weener

weener

Sleeveless

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,194 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:44 PM

I was a little nervous about going to MAGWest by myself and trying to wander around and find friends. I hadn't been out of my cab in front of the hotel for five seconds when I hear "WEENER!" and the guy yelling my name is obviously thrilled to see me. I thought of Daemon as clean-shaven so I didn't recognize him at first with his big beard. But when he stuck out his famous tongue I knew it was him, and he gave me a huge hug. Minutes later, we were in Mr. Tame's car on the way to brunch. It was the perfect welcome to a great weekend.

"This thing is vibrating like a $50 milkshake!"

#4 Bano

Bano

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:20 PM

At MaGFest 2018, we met up in the console room to play some Super Smash Bros Melee. We've been playing at every meetup with a console room since I met him, and it's always a good time just trash talking each other, win or lose.

There's a dude playing alone and we ask to join in. This dude was not-quite-EVO level, and Sean got destroyed. I was up next, and I lost even worse. 

The guy was really good, but not fun and not enjoying playing the game. He'd just smirk off any attempt to engage in conversation, and seemed to get more upset that we weren't pissed off about losing so badly to him. He ended up leaving all pissed off for I don't know why, after wiping the floor with us.

After he left, I said to Sean "What was that dude's problem?"

Sean responded "I don't know, but fuck it; let's play some real smash!"

So we did, shit-talking and smiling until like 4am. It was the best!

#5 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,577 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:51 PM

At MaGFest 2018, we met up in the console room to play some Super Smash Bros Melee. We've been playing at every meetup with a console room since I met him, and it's always a good time just trash talking each other, win or lose.

There's a dude playing alone and we ask to join in. This dude was not-quite-EVO level, and Sean got destroyed. I was up next, and I lost even worse.

The guy was really good, but not fun and not enjoying playing the game. He'd just smirk off any attempt to engage in conversation, and seemed to get more upset that we weren't pissed off about losing so badly to him. He ended up leaving all pissed off for I don't know why, after wiping the floor with us.

After he left, I said to Sean "What was that dude's problem?"

Sean responded "I don't know, but fuck it; let's play some real smash!"

So we did, shit-talking and smiling until like 4am. It was the best!

Fuck....i miss him so much..

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#6 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,963 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:07 PM

Thursday, August 9th, 2018. I fly into the 2nd MagWest a day early so I wouldn't feel like I missed out on any crucial hanging out. I was the first shizzie to arrive. I had some Philz delivered to me and played some Octopath Traveler on the hotel TV. It was good. Then daemon was the 2nd person to show up. We had a good 2(?) hours to ourselves just chilling and talking. Since Daemon knew Warrior Bob of The Koopas fame, that led us to having dinner with Warrior B. and 2 of his friends by the hotel pool. It was a good time, felt very adult-ish of us. But the best part was hanging out in Bob's room as more shizzies showed up like the Runaway Four, Eric Dude, etc. What made this great was:

1. Claiming Episode VII sucked

2. Boldly claiming that Janeway was a better captain than Picard (I was not serious for the record)

Both led were the most heated, passionate nerd rants I'd ever experienced in person and they were glorious. Daemon wouldn't shut up and I think everyone was either in full on debate mode with Daemon, laughing, enthralled, or all of the above. Throughout the rest of the weekend, I made it a game to get him back onto these subjects when different people were around just to duck out of the conversation myself. Kinda like tossing a grenade out. Daemon knew exactly what I was doing and would give me these "really Josh" looks, but he still couldn't stop himself. I'm pretty sure I locked FoxxDragon (or BornInCrimson or Tame or Eric Dude...) into one of these rants on the walk to get burriotes. To anyone who was there, I'm sorry (not sorry) about that.

DNa7A7D.jpg

#7 Bimmy

Bimmy

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:40 PM

MAGwest 2018. I enter into the main entrance and am at registration, I look up and it's Sean on the escalator going up pointing at me with his whole arm, not just a finger point, and a look of astonishment on his face.
I was weiry of going to another shizz event after so many years away, mostly because of the bridges I burned and drama I stirred up in the past.
But that one moment, with no words said, made me feel like everything was going to be alright.
Sean didn't even have to say anything. Just his presence was like a warm familiar blanket.
I got to see him for a bit a couple months ago, that smile...

#8 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:01 PM

Thursday, August 9th, 2018. I fly into the 2nd MagWest a day early so I wouldn't feel like I missed out on any crucial hanging out. I was the first shizzie to arrive. I had some Philz delivered to me and played some Octopath Traveler on the hotel TV. It was good. Then daemon was the 2nd person to show up. We had a good 2(?) hours to ourselves just chilling and talking. Since Daemon knew Warrior Bob of The Koopas fame, that led us to having dinner with Warrior B. and 2 of his friends by the hotel pool. It was a good time, felt very adult-ish of us. But the best part was hanging out in Bob's room as more shizzies showed up like the Runaway Four, Eric Dude, etc. What made this great was:

1. Claiming Episode VII sucked
2. Boldly claiming that Janeway was a better captain than Picard (I was not serious for the record)

Both led were the most heated, passionate nerd rants I'd ever experienced in person and they were glorious. Daemon wouldn't shut up and I think everyone was either in full on debate mode with Daemon, laughing, enthralled, or all of the above. Throughout the rest of the weekend, I made it a game to get him back onto these subjects when different people were around just to duck out of the conversation myself. Kinda like tossing a grenade out. Daemon knew exactly what I was doing and would give me these "really Josh" looks, but he still couldn't stop himself. I'm pretty sure I locked FoxxDragon (or BornInCrimson or Tame or Eric Dude...) into one of these rants on the walk to get burriotes. To anyone who was there, I'm sorry (not sorry) about that.

Those were EPIC rants and you knew exactly what you were doing. Enthralled.. that’s the right word. I think some of the other R4 guys were scared off :) Janeway. Come on. I would have engaged if I could possibly have gotten a word in edgeways!

#9 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,963 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:10 AM

I can't remember if it was in 2017 or 2018, but Daemon was leaving MagWest to go home in time for his son's birthday the next day. As much as we know Daemon as the guy who rocked out front and center and traveled all over the country to support his friends' bands, he was even much, much more excited for his son's birthday. MagWest was just the opening act.

DNa7A7D.jpg

#10 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:13 AM

For 15 years - 15 years - nobody has made my projects feel more worthwhile. If I made one person happy I feel like I did something useful, and he was -always- there for that.

8ED3DDF2-A616-4B59-92A3-BDCE6FFC2A9C.jpg
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

#11 Kevin Gnartinez

Kevin Gnartinez

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:49 AM

I posted about this on Facebook, but Sean was almost (at least temporarily) the bassist for Dark Warriors (the Wizwars + Riders + Jiggs Chiprock Supergroup)...In 2010 after our loud as fuck set at the Minibosses 10th Anniversary Pre-Show, we were contacted about opening for the Minibosses at the DEFcon Ninja Party in Vegas that summer, which we accepted. Ranger (our then bassist) couldn't make it, and I can't remember how Sean got roped into it (he probably volunteered, tbh) but he learned the set and was really stoked to play those songs with us. It didn't end up happening because work fucked him over the day of, and I didn't end up meeting him IRL for another 7 years after that. And it really bums me out that I never got an opportunity to play music with him and I'll never get that opportunity now. 

Unfortunately I stopped going to Shizz events for the most part by the time he started coming out to them, so most of my experiences with him were online, but they were always positive and friendly experiences. And I mean to be honest, I was an exceptional piece of shit as a human being back then, and at any given time the vast majority of the population of this forum would've been completely justified in telling me to go fuck myself. But even tho we weren't particularly close or anything, it was still never like that with him. Even when our contact was few and far between, he always treated me like a long time friend. 

the artist formerly known as wizwars.

now in the night we met.

#12 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:11 AM

My Daemon story is pretty recent history. I has already been interacting with a few of you via Facebook (Ian, Erik) so when the first MagWest rolled around, I said fuck it, I need to go meet these people in person and this is the perfect opportunity. I was the ambassador to hopefully get Runaway Four on the radar for a future invitation. I spent that weekend in awe of this crowd, and got introduced to a lot of amazing people. At one point someone asked if I was from theshizz because of the circle of people I was standing in which I think included mig and stemage. That was the first I heard of this place.

I’m not a super social person, I tend to be a wallflower and get overwhelmed by big events and parties. Even in conversation I can nerd out a bit too hard and push people away. But at MagWest, I cornered Warrior Bob and we nerded out over MIDI and keytars for what felt like hours. This felt like home, fast friendships were made, everyone really made me feel welcome and included and hyped.

By that point I was aware of Sean because, how could you not. I saw this guy rocking out harder than anyone and I thought a) how can I be friends with these people and this guy in particular, and (a little selfishly), B) how can I manage to get my band in front of this crowd and this guy in particular, because I knew how awesome that would feel.

It took a little while to come down off that high because it was such an amazing weekend, and it was followed by a flurry of conversations and Facebook friending: I probably bugged ErichWK a little too much about getting R4 to MagWest. Meanwhile Facebook was doing a funny thing with the “people you may know” list. I used to laugh at it because whereas previously it was a pretty reliable gaydar based on being part of a different community (you may know this person... 54 mutual friends... oh, hmmmm), it turned into a guessing game where high numbers of mutual friends started to mean a VGM person instead. I think Sean was top of that list for months, with the picture of him rocking the fuck out on stage during KDB Deluxe. I hesitated to add him because we hadn’t directly interacted at West, and because frankly I was in awe of this person, clearly he was a legend and I was a newbie awkwardly trying to make friends over the internet. Really wish I had gotten over that sooner.

In the meantime I had actually found this place, and waited a few months to get approved. Robby was the first to welcome me, Daemon immediately complimented me. It took me a little while to make the connection to the IRL avatar of enthusiasm from MagWest yet.

With a little persuasion (it didn’t take much) from Erik and Warrior Bob, I made plans to go to the big Mag in Jan 2018. It was overwhelming and amazing, and I was on a mission to meet people and hang out with people. Annoyingly, my phone couldn’t keep a good connection in the Gaylord so I spent half the weekend wandering around trying to find people the old fashioned way, with the most success being had in the concert hall and the DoD panel. I finally ran into Sean after one of the shows and awkwardly said hi. He turned and looked a little confused when I introduced myself as Chris, until I said “angry polar bear” and then his face went from 0 to 11, he yelled “oh hey man!” and gave me a big hug. It was a proper “meeting someone from the internet in real life” moment, and for people who don’t socialize in this way I think it’s hard to explain that rush that you get when you can finally hang out with someone who you’re already building a friendship with remotely. I feel the same about all of you who I’ve gotten to spend time with over the last couple of years. Being a newcomer in an established group of friends can be challenging especially when you have isolating tendencies to begin with. But when someone like Sean is standing at the door of the party, holding it wide open and saying “what are you doing out there? get the fuck in here man”, you know that you’re dealing with some pretty exceptional people, and in particular someone whose mission in life is to lift the spirits of new friends and old friends alike. And he did eventually get to see us perform, he was of course in the front row, rocking the whole world around him.

#13 Opalmara

Opalmara

Shizz n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:17 AM

Thank you all for bringing so much joy to his life, for always being there for him, for letting him go on his passionate rants (you know the ones I’m talking about), for cheering him on, for supporting him, for loving him, for being his tribe- a community he truly felt a part of, for making him laugh, and just all-around unconditionally showing him the love and support he deserved. I love you all even though I don’t know you. I love you because he did. Because he thought the world of all of you and anyone that Sean thought was important, is important in my book. I have no doubt you all will carry on his spirit, his enthusiasm for life and for music, how he lived every day of his life (to be true to yourself, to love unconditionally, to revel in the little things in life). I just wish I could have met all of you with him by my side - he would have been so happy to introduce me to each and every one of you and I know you all would have been so happy that Sean had someone to share intimacy with, to call a lover, a best friend, a life companion, a soul mate. Please let me know if there will be any tributes at MagWest. I would love to come and hopefully meet you all, to hear your memories and stories, to laugh, to cry, to headbang in the front row (although we all know no one can headbang like Sean can). Thanks again for listening and for being you. Also if anyone could help me find a good way to filter his posts on here, I’d like to read through them. I’ve already found some nuggets from years past about good memories of us and the way he loved me even way back then. It really meant a lot. I am looking forward to meeting some of you at his celebration of life next week. I know others are in touch with you all but his mom’s work is comping rooms for folks so we just need the names. You are also welcome to stay with me at my parents’ house...there’s a few beds, couches and floor space. Also, she wanted me to work on the music for the service. Please message me with any songs you feel Sean would have wanted to be played. I was thinking of making a Spotify playlist so it’d be great if they were on there but if its a song that Sean particularly loved, I can purchase and upload to Spotify. Try to send me the top ones as I want to make sure there is enough room for everyone’s wishes, especially his family’s. Thanks again, everyone.

#14 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,577 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:30 AM

Thank you for posting this. Really. It was both sweet..and also brutally hard to read in knowing what he has left behind. I hope to see you at MAGWest. I'm pretty sure i got the Minibosses to play (gotta work out a few things but pretty sure it will happen), so it will be an awesome tribute to Sean.

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#15 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:09 AM

Oh my god, Shevawn.  Thank you for coming and sharing that with us.  I saw some photos of you and him on facebook in the past day or two and could instantly tell you had a special kind of relationship.

Absolutely nothing you said is surprising, that was Sean.  I've never had someone tell me how proud of me they were, unprompted, like Sean did.  I teared up reading this, and our community mourns with you.  Myself and many others from here are going to try and be at his memorial, I hope I see you there, we have infinity hugs for you.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users