6 replies to this topic

#1 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:58 PM

Entries are up! 15 mains, 4 alts. Go check them out over at http://dwellingofdue...els/19-04-free/

Votes are due on Wednesday, May 1st at 3PM ET. Send votes over to dodsongs@gmail.com .

And write some reviews if you can!

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#2 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,203 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:59 PM

Alien
Great bass synth holy crap.  Great mixing, cool tones all around.  The guitar palying could be a bitt better...it's that thing I don't have the term for, like it needs to be a tad more legato, without accidental slight hammers/pulls.

Bahamut Lagoon
A lonely clean guitar.  I don't know the original, but this sounds like a good arrangement!  Cool backing instruments.  The lead could be played better, sounds like there's a bit of accidental sliding and stuff.

Castlevania 2
Not my thing but good for what it is!

Ferrari Grand Prix
God that lead patch is so gooooooood, great filtering.  The backing tracks are great too.  Holy shit that key change!!!  Amazing!

F-zero
Nice choice intsruments.  Verrrry nice!  Wrong notes, not very nice :(  Check your lead.

Guilty Gear
haha funny isntrumentation, kinda J-poppy...or maybe that's the composition.  Awesome lead!  The piano is like....tooo honky-tonky for me (though I don't know the original).  Drums could be waaaay bigger.  Good palying, good ideas, but mixing is severly lacking!

Kirby Superstar
Cool arrangement.  Guitar playing could be way less staccato.

Mega Man X 2
Yessss I pretty much don't get tired of this song.  The guitar tone is such a good recreation of the SNES!  I prefer lessc chorus usually, but in this particular cover it works.  Nice.

Mythgard
Good lord.  That's just incredible even for YOU

Resident Evil 3
Excellent tone and excellent guitar playing!!

Shadowgate
Whoah good job on the trve cvlt sound (sorry if cultural appropriation).  I don't know the original but it sounds like this is a great arrangement of it.

Star Gladiator 2
Amazzzzing tones, excellent production, but the lead palying needs a lot of work!  AWesome patch choices.

The Legend of Zelda
oooooof TAKE NOT everyone, THIS is how you arrangement.  That meter change.  That slide guitar.  That possibly live keyboard.

The Wonderful 101
HOLY SHIT I have no idea what this game is.  I need to look it up.  Seriously good singing!  Like REALLLLLY good

Zybex
Sick synths!  Sick bass!  Pretty good guitars.  Ok drums.  Wait wtf, that lead guitar rules, why did the rhythm ones not rule?

Mega Man Network
Sick tones everywhere!  I love this style.  Rofl @ the end

Metal Gear
kbye

Phoenix Wright
Great tones and production, but that lead is so...pull-off-ey and slidey.

Pokemon Gold
Great guitar tone int he beginning, but really distracting slidey pulloffey playing.  Nice synths all around.

#3 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:07 AM

Reviews by moi.

MAIN MEAT:

Alien 3 - The Beast Within

Nice tones, solid playing and the synth section rips. I especially like that little breakdown with FM bells. The snare sound is sharp and it fits the style but it's not my thing.

Bahamut Lagoon - Blue Byuu

I love that slidey intro. Quite nice arrangement. The drums lack power and/or groove though.

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Cursed Night

Michael Gregory entered DoD? JK. I like the backing track. The vocals are total dogturds. I apologize, but if I don't like something, I tell it like it is.

F-Zero - Silence

Nice arrangement and classical guitar picking but the mix seems cluttered with low mids a little. Also, I just CAN'T STAND the machinegun fx on the hi-hat.

Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge - Grand Prix of Generation

Great sounds. The biggest problem is that the live instrument here (I'm assuming it's the keyboard lead???) is played so well, that there's very little expression.

Guilty Gear X - Blue Water, Blue Sky

The keyboards are great and the playing is fun as heck, but I don't like the choice of sounds in this track.

Kirby Super Star - Marxism

Not gonna 6/6 it just purely cause it is the kinda prog rock sound I adore. Not this time. There's a lot of room for improvement. The drums could be more punchy and the playing could be more in your face, less griddy, more FEEEeEEeEelIiinGggg!!

Mega Man X2, The Karate Kid - Charge

Andre let it all be said. The guitar sounds like the samples in MMX. Which IS fitting. The playing's good. However, there are some minor "sonic" issues such as muddy rhythms or machinegunny snare.

Mythgard - Bat of Persuasion

Holy smokes! SMOOTH! We all know this is gonna be the audience favorite. For some reason, there's an unwritten rule that says whenever someone submits a track with the french horn or trombone it's automatically in the top 3. xDDDDD

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - Goodbye Nemesis

80s style instrumental ballad. It's nice. Love the FM synth.

Shadowgate - From the Circle of Twelve to the Ninth Circle of Hell

olsql dod mtl

Star Gladiator 2 - Eclipse of the Fourth Empire

I like how professional this sounds. Love the tones. Solid playin' That's a real tasteful drum mix too.

The Legend of Zelda - Dungeon Map

Tasty. Smooth! WOW! DAT SEXAPHONE!

The Wonderful 101 - The Won-stoppable Wonderful 101

Good vocals, meh backing track. I think I know who did this one but I don't want to play Sherlock fucking Holmes here so I'll wait till the names are revealed.

Zybex - Zipbacks

Awesome (guest?) guitar shredfesty solonado and some sweet bass. Sometimes however, the arrangement is too thicc and oversaturated.

ALT MICROREVIEWS (UP TO 3 WORDS):

Mega Man Network Transmission - Flamin' YouToobz

nice hammonds

Metal Gear Solid - Meh Gear (Brevity Month leftover)

meh

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Turnabout Sisters TRU METIL

punk not metal

Pokemon Gold/Silver - New Age State Park

buildup without payoff

iu_10481_5243319.jpg?raw=1

#4 darmock

darmock

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:50 AM

Alien 3 - The Beast Within
Liking the groove of the bass. Synth is nice. Was waiting for a little more build up or change in dynamics to indicate going into a new section. Like the overall vibe.

Bahamut Lagoon - Blue Byuu
Quiet and peaceful. Like the guitar work.

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Cursed Night
Like the take on this song. Vocals/lyrics are interesting and the change in the rhythm and instrumentation make it feel like a very different song.

F-Zero - Silence
Nice guitar playing. Bass feels like it could use a little midtones and less bass. Bass drum feels like it gets lost when they play at the same time.

Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge - Grand Prix of Generation
Like the chiptuney vibe and the use of dynamics. Theme gets a little monotonous, could use more variation later in the song. Great composition overall!

Guilty Gear X - Blue Water, Blue Sky
Like the lead synth, and the playing is nice. Feels a little repetitive, Maybe the lead synth could use a change in patches somewhere in the song or perhaps give the lead line to the piano and make the background piano chords more sparse for a solo. Ending could use a little more punch.

Kirby Super Star - Marxism
Like the playing. Feels like could use more attention to mixing. Tension is pretty good.

Mega Man X2, The Karate Kid - Charge
Guitars have a neat sounding effect. They should come out more in the mix though.

Mythgard - Bat of Persuasion
Love the tension in the beginning. Love the horns! Super smooth. Listened to this a bunch of times :D

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - Goodbye Nemesis
Nice balance of instruments. Like how it sounds like a 90's sitcom end theme song.

Shadowgate - From the Circle of Twelve to the Ninth Circle of Hell
Good mix and guitar work.

Star Gladiator 2 - Eclipse of the Fourth Empire
Good mixing and playing is pretty good. Felt like it got a little stale toward the latter 1/3 of the arrangement, could use something to spice up the repeating theme.

The Legend of Zelda - Dungeon Map
Like the instruments, tones and balance of each one against the other. Good dynamics and great arrangement.

The Wonderful 101 - The Won-stoppable Wonderful 101
Nice singing! Nice voice work in general! The vocals feel a tad buried by instruments sometimes, especially when there's a crash. Great work on this one as a whole!

Zybex - Zipbacks
Good mix. Love the intro. Drums need some work, feel flat, maybe need velocity work. Like the tension in the middle. Ending could be a little less abrupt feeling.

ALTS:

Mega Man Network Transmission - Flamin' YouToobz
Like the bass and keys. Guitars and lead instruments need a little mixing or effects work.

Metal Gear Solid - Meh Gear (Brevity Month leftover)
Like the lead guitar work. Bass instrument effect is neat.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Turnabout Sisters TRU METIL
Dang this is sick! I want to hear it keep going. The cymbals/crash need some mixing or velocity work. Like how you ended it XD

Pokemon Gold/Silver - New Age State Park
I feel like the lead guitar tone needs to be smoother and less nasaly/metul for the background instruments used. I like how delicately played the bg guitar gets near the end.

Less talk. More synthehol.

#5 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:29 PM

wow, three sets of reviews in one month! amazing!!!

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#6 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

I almost reviewed but then I chickened out

#7 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:49 PM

I almost reviewed but then I chickened out

its never too late!

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

PC Game Metal

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users