Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:35 PM

#1 Leandro Abreu - The Legend of Zelda - Dungeon Map - good -0.31
#2 Czyszy, BakiTheFox, EmpireAnts98 - Zybex - Zipbacks - good -0.49
#3 Hat - Mythgard - Bat of Persuasion - above average +0.44
#4 Ivan Hakštok - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - Goodbye Nemesis - above average +0.28
#5 newip - Alien 3 - The Beast Within - above average +0.11
#6 Angry Polar Bear - The Wonderful 101 - The Won-stoppable Wonderful 101 - above average +0.05
#7 Garpocalypse - Star Gladiator 2 - Eclipse of the Fourth Empire - above average -0.02
#8 SJ Van Damme - Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge - Grand Prix of Generation - above average -0.14
#9 Cory Johnson - Kirby Super Star - Marxism - above average -0.17
#10 Harjawaldar - Shadowgate - From the Circle of Twelve to the Ninth Circle of Hell - above average -0.17
#11 valence - Bahamut Lagoon - Blue Byuu - above average -0.24
#12 Rifftus - Mega Man X2, The Karate Kid - Charge - above average -0.47
#13 tibone - F-Zero - Silence - average +0.37
#14 Daniel Caton - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Cursed Night - average +0.28
#15 Jer Roque - Guilty Gear X - Blue Water, Blue Sky - average +0.16
Voters: 15

Congrats to Leandro Abreu, Czyszy, BakiTheFox, EmpireAnts98, and Hat on the win! Thanks to all who entered for an absolutely amazing month with a great turn out.

19-05-Daemon9623.png

This next month is a tribute to our fallen friend and fellow competitor, Daemon9623, who tragically lost his life in a senseless act of violence last week. Daemon was a huge fan of video game music, and all sorts of game remixes, regularly listening to entries from the site as well as from other VGM bands/projects from around the world. This month will not be a competition: Like Kain month in 2017, this will be a tribute month with no winners, no losers, just friends showing love and respect for a fallen comrade.

Special Rules for this month:
Artwork is allowed to be submitted! Songs are not the only required medium for this month!
Songs do not need to be submitted anonymously. They still can be, but it is not a requirement. Feel free to share your progress with others throughout the month.
There will be no official voting.
Any song that reminds you of Daemon is acceptable; whether it was a game he enjoyed, a song that he would have enjoyed, or anything else like that. Make Good Music for a Good Man. Covers of his original chiptune works are also acceptable.
If you did not know Daemon, do not feel like you cannot enter! Consider looking at his previous entries or one of the multiple facebook posts where people have been contributing songs.

Songs are due May 29th at 5PM ET. Send songs to dodsongs@gmail.com !

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#2 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:49 PM

Holy shit!!! ANGRY POLAR BEAR IT WAS YOU DOING THE WONDERFUL 101?!

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#3 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,200 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:55 PM

AngryPolarBear!!!!!!!! You son of a bitch!

GTWGSC.gif

#4 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:05 PM

:D

#5 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:13 PM

Please teach me to make backing tracks that don’t sound like general midi

#6 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,200 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:23 PM

You gotta wait for MIDI 2 to come out, I'm afraid.

#7 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:39 PM

Congrats to the top 3! 4th place is way better than I expected. I recorded my entry over the last weekend before the deadline, but I actually had it planned out in my head for quite a while, and to be fair I kinda ripped off the arrangement from T-Square's Goodbye Hero:

https://www.youtube....h?v=6R9grnxps2g

Now, if anyone wants to collab or if you need some quick guitar/bass/mixing for Daemonth, feel free to hit me up (maybe it would be a good idea to revive that DoD collab sheet?). I'll also try to make an entry on my own.

#8 jmr

jmr

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:00 AM

Just putting this out there now: Marshall Art will doing a Goonies 2 Theme massive collaboration type thing (similar to what we did here). We'll probably create a thread for it once we have a transcription and reference tracks(s) prepared.

#9 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:27 AM

Holy smokes! 2nd place! That's great news. Totally unexpected! So here's a little breakdown of our track. I started working on the first draft of the song on the 15th of April. The first thing to do were of course the programmed bits such as the drums, the keyboards and the chippy bleepbloopy bits. Then I recorded the rhythms. I used snare samples from the Erich KDB mutli sample set provided by Pingo as a support for... yeah... you got it right - Addictive Drummer. The bass took me billions of takes, punch ins and comps to get right. It feels good to hear that you liked it. Ever since I had the idea of doing Zybex in my head, I knew the fast diddly widdly bassline should be played on the bass guitar, and not with like a Taurus emulation or some other low synth sound. So yeah... once I had a listenable sketch ready, I messaged my friends Kacepru (formerly known as EmpireAnts98; he wanted to be credited by his old handle to avoid confusion on DoD) and the amazing Baki the Fox. Baki did that INCREDIBLE SOLO on his Washburn guitar and a crybaby pedal printed in. If you're reading this, you should know that I'm more than über grateful! You're the best! Kacepru added in a small fragment  of funk-esque rhythm strumming on his Aria Strat knockoff that would serve as an extra background for the solo. I think his part got buried quite deep in the mix in the end, I dunno. xD And last but of course by no means least, the tapped coda with blast beat. I squeezed it in as an afterthought. The ending could've been less sudden but I had no clue how I could do that, and since it was getting late, I simply pasted the intro synths. Oh, almost forgot. There's a live organ that I played on my Korg micoKEY Air part somewhere too.

OK, so now, about the Marshall Art thing. COUNT ME THE HECK IN! I love collabs.

iu_10481_5243319.jpg?raw=1

#10 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:41 AM

Just putting this out there now: Marshall Art will doing a Goonies 2 Theme massive collaboration type thing (similar to what we did here). We'll probably create a thread for it once we have a transcription and reference tracks(s) prepared.

I’m in!

#11 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,067 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:40 AM

I dunno what I'm gonna do, but I'm in. There can never be too many Megger Men X arrangements, I guess

BRAINMEAT (and POWER METAL CHIPS) - My original metal and chiptune albums on Bandcamp (all free/name your price)
SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#12 darmock

darmock

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:27 PM

Count me in!

Less talk. More synthehol.

#13 Hat

Hat

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:30 PM

Take my money, erm, brasses!!!!
:ph34r:

#14 thebeautyofgrind

thebeautyofgrind

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 03:09 PM

I was planning on recording some original stuff and make it a tribute for him, but I will most definitely be recording some VGM stuff for this.

Does anyone still have the transcript from the Kain listening party?  Daemon was there and in great spirits.

http://www.thebeauty...d.bandcamp.com/

"sausage biscuit"?? ok i'm outta here (closing menu, leaving)

#15 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:37 PM

I was planning on recording some original stuff and make it a tribute for him, but I will most definitely be recording some VGM stuff for this.

Does anyone still have the transcript from the Kain listening party?  Daemon was there and in great spirits.

http://dwellingofdue.../17-06-Kain.log

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users