#1 jmr

jmr

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:26 AM

"You all know it, it's fuckin' Goonies 2." - Daemon9623

As a tribute to Daemon9623, Marshall Art is putting together a massive collaborative cover of the theme from Goonies 2.

We want everyone to be involved in this. Guitar. Bass. Drums. Synths. Piano. Vocals. Chiptunes. Didgeridoos. Anything. 
In particular, we'd like to have a giant sing-a-long as a part of the song, so we encourage you to record yourself singing the melody. "Oh" and "whoa" sounds should do. Just imagine you're singing along at a Minibosses show. 
If you have to, you can record your part on your cell phone. Call me and leave me a voice mail if you have to (PM me for my number). This is for Daemon. No excuses.

Some notes and ground rules:

• Tempo is 150 bpm. 149.985 bpm if that sort of precision is important to you.
  • This is intended to be a fairly straight cover, so No Wrong Notes.  Play the Right Notes only, please. 
  •  ...unless you don't want to. If you improvise around the song, or play a solo, I'll still try to incorporate it. 
  •  The triangle transcription is in the same octave as the original - if you want to play it an octave lower, That's Fine.
  • Use the reference tracks! If I get a part and I can't easily make it sync up with everything else, I won't be inclined to use it much.
  • Multiple takes / tones are encouraged! I can take dry & DI'd recordings as well, or midi data from any keyboardists. 
  • I don't intend to just plop everything into a DAW on top of each other and call it a day. I'm going to do loads of editing to fit things together in a sensible way. Every person's contribution will be used in some way, but don't be surprised if your part has been altered in the final song.
  • Remember, you guys are shaping this arrangement! If you have a cool idea you want to try when you play your part, go ahead!
  • 48kHz wave is preferred, but the audio format doesn't really matter. It's 2019. I can convert all that shit.

REFERENCE TRACKS: https://drive.google...gSyX-RVYMXsau  
EDIT: google is being stupid, here's a zip with all of the reference waves: https://drive.google...JT7VEdTHYUuvajV
TABS, MIDI FILES, NSF: https://drive.google...NYgTKgEMOY19hLj

Deadline: May 20 2019. 
Name your file like this:
"[ARTIST NAME] - [INSTRUMENT] - [PART].wav" 
Part as in Pulse 1, Pulse 2, Solo, etc. 
Multiple takes / versions can be labeled as such (ie "take 1", "DI", "distorted", etc). 

Upload it to this folder: https://drive.google...lZ5Z370n2gM7NC-
Alternatively, email it to me at @ marshallartband@gmail.com 

The earlier I get something, the better. I'm going to need a lot of time to put this together.

#2 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:35 AM

Love it and I’m all in. I’ll probably send as many instruments as I can record and letcha pick from em

eKawlATs.jpg

#3 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:36 AM

I get an error when I try to download the reference tracks

iu_10481_5243319.jpg?raw=1

#4 jmr

jmr

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:48 AM

Ugh, google. I'm getting a 403 error which I can't explain. Here's a zip file with all of the reference tracks: https://drive.google...JT7VEdTHYUuvajV

EDIT: the google drive links seem to work when you open them in an incognito window, that should work for now. I'll find another solution after work tonight.

#5 KarlGerm

KarlGerm

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:26 AM

these reference tracks are so thorough!! thank you so much <3

0XLHr8N.pngPLeKsvM.jpgdRKoGUE.png

#6 jmr

jmr

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:31 AM

Trying to make it as easy as possible for people to contribute. :)

#7 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:02 AM

Gonna do my best to jump in on this.

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#8 arise_shine

arise_shine

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:13 AM

I shall contribute to this in some fashion.

My shitty Bandcamp

My shitty Twitch channel

"The sun has left the sky, now you can close your eyes, leave all the world behind until tomorrow." (Latimer/Bardens)

"So shall it be written, so shall it be done, came the warning from the prophet..." (Davis/Davis)

#9 Maiko

Maiko

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:33 AM

Yesssss def doing this

0sOrjsY.png

#10 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:13 AM

I submitted some hybrid drums. But that's by no means my only contribution for this project.

I'm not a drummer so I did some fun sound designy stuff (which I love doing). I recorded the cymbals and drums separately, then I chopped them into little pieces and made sure they're in time. Cause I gotta admit, doing the cymbals and drums separately while still keeping time is impossibru. In additon to the drum hits I also added in some samples of different percussion instruments. I will try recording a less processed (live) drum track later this month after some practice... I hope.

iu_10481_5243319.jpg?raw=1

#11 Ailsean

Ailsean

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:47 AM

I might have accidentally already done all the instruments except vocals. But I did it at Cyndi Lauper tempo, not NES tempo.

Posted Image

#12 jmr

jmr

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

from the DoD discord:

It's only a 50 second segment because I wanted to leave some room for actual drummers to add their drumming in.

None one needs to worry about that. I'm going to take some liberties when I combine all of the different parts. Last time I did this, I did a bunch of unusual stuff like combining the snare from one drummer with the rest of the kit from another, splicing solos so that they lined up with other people's rhythms, and so on. For reference:

Spoiler

Ailsean - feel free to send that along anyway if you want, I'll see if I can make it work.

#13 jvincion

jvincion

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:07 AM

I've got some guitar recording to do in my near future - I'll see if I can get some slab-heavy guitar in there somewhere. \m/  :P \m/

#14 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:33 AM

I'm gonna send some bass your way once I restring it.

#15 Nario

Nario

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,294 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:35 PM

Let's do this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users