29 replies to this topic

#16 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:42 PM

EricDude, I just listened and that was awesome.

#17 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:02 PM

Fixed the two broken songs, I had corrected the tags but then forgot to update the actual webcontent.

Also sorry Eric dude for not getting your email! I blame google

Tribute is still broken.

#18 thebeautyofgrind

thebeautyofgrind

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:01 PM

I said I was gonna do a massive write-up.  Here it is:

Spoiler

After I posted this is when Eric Dude's track came to my knowledge!  Big E, I vaguely remember you wanting to play piano a while back and to know that it has become a reality, that's amazing!  Congrats on your accomplishment and your submission!

http://www.thebeauty...d.bandcamp.com/

"sausage biscuit"?? ok i'm outta here (closing menu, leaving)

#19 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:25 PM

I’m really glad people enjoyed the Bolero Get, kinda wish I didn’t make it anonymous during the stream! Thanks for the kind words. It’s amazing to see how much effort, and thought, and love went into all of this.

#20 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,779 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:33 PM

Fixed the two broken songs, I had corrected the tags but then forgot to update the actual webcontent.

Also sorry Eric dude for not getting your email! I blame google

No biggie, it's totally an email thing and nobody's fault. I certainly could have submitted sooner! Thank you for running DoD, it's amazing that this competition is still going after all these years, and leads to amazing stuff like this month.

I went through all of the songs today on the commute. Really great month, everybody! I got misty eyed a few times, as expected. The Goonies 2 track was transcendent. Truly. Czysy, I wanted to do a vocal track, but I didn't have the courage, so hats off to you. Snapple, that X-men track is a BANGER! Daemon is dancing his ass off somewhere in the cosmos.

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#21 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:54 PM

If anybody didn't figure it out, the entire middle section of my tune is a cover of Iron Maiden's Seas of Madness solos and stuff, which I think Daemon would've been amused by.

BANDCAMP - Featuring my newest release, Maiden Voyage a tribute to the Star Ocean games
SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#22 corysbeard

corysbeard

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

I'm also gonna guess that the samples are taken from the Japanese audio from Cowboy Bebop?  If so, I love the play on words from, "See Ya, Space Cowboy."

They were! :D

Here's the translation for the scenes I used.

I didn't want it to be distracting on the first listen so I obscured it by not using the dub audio. The name came first, pretty late actually. I was dead set on using the name but I didn't have anything in the track itself to tie it to Bebop. So I kinda just grabbed two semi-random, semi-appropriate scenes to sample, which was great because I wanted something to bookend the track where the audio was sparse and something to help extend the bridge a little bit before the solo to give it some breathing room. I figured the Faye scene was appropriate because her character at the time the tape was recorded seemed to have an exuberance of positive energy, optimism and love for life. I didn't know Sean personally, but every anecdote I've read seems to line up with that. The "do not fear death" scene seemed kind of appropriate to use as words of comfort when battling loss or impending loss. These samples don't really fit as an exact tribute to Sean, only loosely. I was actually worried it would be considered odd to use these scenes, or to use Bebop at all mixed with Space Harrier--as those things really have nothing to do with one another. All of that really was just a detour down a path because I had a silly name idea. But I'm really thankful it turned out as well as it did to everyone that's listened to it, and appreciate the kind words. <3

#23 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,341 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:44 PM

Man this is tough

#24 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,779 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:19 PM

Man this is tough

We're here for you, brother.

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#25 mrtame

mrtame

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:26 PM

God that goonies 2 wrecked me

Dj5ZiPN.png

#26 exitlava

exitlava

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:58 PM

God that goonies 2 wrecked me

EDITED FOR CLARITY

Gonna watch Goonies tonight, as it came out on this day 34 years ago <3  

Live fast, eat trash. A bunch of ants in a person suit.🌹

Graphic Designer; Visuals as VISMANCIENNE8bitSF Ops • Previously 8bitLA

#27 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:05 PM

Heh, don't get confused - Goonies II is just a game. There is no sequel to the movie.

#28 exitlava

exitlava

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:15 PM

...Yet. There's been talk about it! 

Live fast, eat trash. A bunch of ants in a person suit.🌹

Graphic Designer; Visuals as VISMANCIENNE8bitSF Ops • Previously 8bitLA

#29 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:24 PM

I think (and hope) that the final nail has been hammered into that coffin, but I know better than to underestimate Hollywood's capacity to suck the joy out of a good thing.

#30 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,913 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:30 AM

I bet whoever writes it is gonna throw in Lord of the Rings references for Sean Astin to deliver, and Marvel references for Josh Brolin, because that is the strange pop culture climate in which we are living.

Or maybe I'm just a fucking grouch

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users