Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:01 PM

#1 Katamari - Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - Trial By Fire - good -0.21
#2 Czyszy - Nage Libre - Free! - above average +0.4
#3 Affection State, JS - Castlevania - Child In The Sky - above average +0.27
#4 thebitterroost - Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors 2 - Levels 1&2 - above average +0.23
#5 Cory Johnson - Starcraft - Creep Colony - above average -0.05
#6 Pokérus Project (Live!) - Mario Kart 64 - Luigi's Stare of Death - above average -0.18
#7 Ian Martyn - Alcahest - I Wish - average +0.38
#8 dasaten - Pro Sport Hockey - Now You're on a Power Play - average +0.21
#9 Funbuns - Yakuza Kiwami - Baka Mitai ~ I've Been a Fool - average +0.1
Voters: 7

Congrats to Katamari, Czyszy, Affection State, and JS on the win!

Next month is ~~~Tornado of Solos~~~!

19-09-TornadoOfSolos.jpg

In the past, Tornado of Solos has been focused on picking a single technically-challenging (very hard) piece and asking all competitors to perform the tune. While it has resulted in some fabulous entries, for this iteration we wanted to have the technical proficiency take a back seat to some good old-fashioned, honest-to-goodness, tasty SOLOS, not limited to hyper-shredders. And with that said, the tune we have chosen is...

Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball - Title Theme

Bust out some grooves over the progression, and maybe invite some people who dont normally enter to spit out a few bars on your track!

Entries are due by 11:59PM Eastern Friday September 27th, send them to dodsongs@gmail.com

Our monthly discord hangout will be hosted on Sept 16 from 6-8pm Eastern (always on the third Monday of the month)

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#2 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:44 PM

Yay! Second place! Totally didn't expect to rank this high considering the fact that at the time I was working on the PROG AS FUCK 20 minute song and the DoD entry was a super quick side project. So as usual, I'ma do a quick rundown of my entry.

The idea for choosing Nage Libre as the source material came up.. as I was browsing the Top SNES Tracks website (thanks, juef!). I decided to do the song in a J-Fusion sorta style cause as soon as I heard the original, I knew that would fit. It turned out more Sonic Adventure than T-Squarepeia (BTW my friend Kacepru/EmpireAnts98 told me so as well when I sent him an early draft for feedback). The drums I used here is Ezdrummer 1. No shit. I layered the stock Vintage Rock snare with extra samples that I had downloaded from ProduceLikeAPro.com. I think they were the Blackbird ones with those massive room mic tracks. The amp sims are kinda unusual for me, cause I didn't use Amplitube 3 all that much. For the leads I chose the free LeCto instead just to see if I could get a decent tone out of it.

Cory Johnson was wondering if the keys were Wurlis. Actually, no. They were a Rhodes patch through a Leslie vst.

The middle square wave lead section (which isn't a part of the original composition) was added in at the very end of the arranging process purely to pad out the song a little bit. I mean... add variety. ;p

So again, I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Big up!

iu_10481_5243319.jpg?raw=1

#3 thebitterroost

thebitterroost

Shizz n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:56 PM

Congrats guys!  ^_^

#4 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 04:50 AM

welp, i guess i need to enter.

someone has to claim last place.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

#5 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,126 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:58 PM

Hm, I can probably learn how to play that. Sounds fun. 

BANDCAMP - Featuring my newest release, Maiden Voyage a tribute to the Star Ocean games
SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#6 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:34 AM

The OP has been updated with the banner art.

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#7 cacomistle

cacomistle

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,100 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:37 AM

You messed up the mouth

70513658_10100195063969164_5277526380190

#8 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,538 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:15 AM

Totally a missed opportunity not having a tornado of dust forming behind junior. Good banner though!

#9 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:58 PM

You messed up the mouth

You have no idea... had to do a bit of surgery to the line art I received to not make it evoke that title screen again

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

PC Game Metal

#10 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,126 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:01 PM

yo, if anybody's not entering because you're having trouble with the leads, here you go:

https://www.dropbox....-leads.mid?dl=0

It's a midi file I created for what I think is a pretty accurate version--the notes at least--for the lead guitars. The timing is a little jank here and there, I'm still playing around with my project, but you'll figure it out. 

EDIT: even if you don't enter a main entry, plz enter a midi rip alt, thx

BANDCAMP - Featuring my newest release, Maiden Voyage a tribute to the Star Ocean games
SoundCloud

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#11 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

i posted the isolated tracks (and a midi convertion from that) on the dod discord. 

http://classicgames....r/temp/kgjr.rar - isolated tracks + the midi converted from that for bass and leads. It's not cleaned for midi rip, but you can use it to learn the song. if you're having trouble with it, like i am. 

#12 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,126 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

Ah, that's very cool. I always forget that discord is a thing. I did mine by ear using isolated tracks, section by section which is why the timing in some areas is very... Loose. It's a deceptively tricky track since so many of the quick little notes are actually programmed as pitch bends and not actually the sample retriggered at a different pitch. It does a really good job of simulating hammer-ons/pull-offs. Hats off to the composer.

SoundCloud

#13 powellman

powellman

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:09 AM

I had the same problem with my Shadow of The Ninja track, all the midi I ripped from the game had weeeeird pitch bending tricks going on so it was pretty much useless. Had to just learn it all by ear which was errr difficult

#14 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:06 AM

that's why i avoid direct conversion, and to an audio-to-midi conversion through the isolated tracks, it catches most of the pitch bends instead of just having the note sitting there.

It's not perfect, but it allows for quicker learning of the source track.

#15 powellman

powellman

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:01 AM

Hmmm I hadn't thought about using audio to midi, that's a good idea!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users