12 replies to this topic

#1 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:26 PM

Entries for Ken Griffey Jr Presents Major League Baseball's Tornado of Solos are up!

7 mains and 1 alt!

http://dwellingofdue...rnado-of-solos/

Head over to http://dwellingofduels.net/voting to enter and send vote sheets to dodsongs@gmail.com.

Listening party will be held over at our twitch page, www.twitch.tv/dwellingofduels tomorrow, Sunday, at 7PM Eastern!

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#2 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:40 AM

I have to say I haven't expected over 5 entries, so this is really great to see!

I won't be able to join the listening party but I'll try and write some reviews.

#3 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 10:04 AM

I will definitely try to make this listening party! Cant wait to hear these

amTr0fm.png

#4 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 11:04 AM

Is there gonna be a speciaal panel of judges in addition to the listeners' voting?

iu_10481_5243319.jpg?raw=1

#5 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,313 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

Dammit it's unlikely I'll make the listening party.

#6 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 12:40 PM

REVIEWS

AcoustiKen Griffey Jr.
One thing I never expected for this month was an acoustic entry. I wish there was some backing percussion and maybe acoustic/double bass as this sounds too empty.

Bat The Funk Out
Nice fake horns you got there. The playing and the mixing are good for the most part. The bass slap solo sounds empty, maybe some more drums in the background or perhaps some clean guitar licks would've helped. The guitar solo that comes after the bass solo gets kinda buried in some parts.

Designated Shredder
Rhythm guitar playing is good, but the sound is a bit too scooped for my liking. There's also maybe a bit too much delay on the leads. The lead playing is great though. I also dig the bass tone.

Griffey's Theme
I like the rhythm guitar sound. The clean breakdown also sounds good. There's very little expression in the lead playing (barely any vibrato and bends).

Ken Grizzard and the Lizard Wizard Presents 'Kenagon Griffinity'
I don't know if they're a reference to something but I'm not a fan of the vocals. There's also a bit too much saturation going on. The bass tone and the ending rhythm guitars are great.

King Tama Jr Presents........
Excellent rhythm guitars! Something sounds a bit off about the drums, maybe a bit too much midrange on the kick and snare? The lead playing is great, but I'm personally not a fan of the tone. The synth solo is a bit jarring, I wish it was kept an octave or two below. The groove at the end is a great idea!

The Stadium Organist Got Carried Away (WIP) 
Too much compression on the drums? I'm not sure if I like the addition of chips. Also I don't hear much of the source tune other than the rhythm guitars and bass.

#7 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 02:14 PM

Ivan bruh:

https://en.m.wikiped...onagon_Infinity

#8 jmr

jmr

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:32 PM

Ivan bruh:

https://en.m.wikiped...onagon_Infinity

Specifically: https://youtu.be/9p_Si21ig7c

Ducktales is actually in 1/16 and there are just different amounts of measures in the phrases you fucking scrubs

MARSHALL ART + CORY JOHNSON - TIMELINE - 4 track VGM EP on 10" vinyl and digital download.

MARSHALL ART - JMR - CHROMELODEON ARCHIVE

#9 corysbeard

corysbeard

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:16 PM

Missed the listening party, and was super late listening to everything and voting. Just barely made it before the deadline. :3

AcoustiKen Griffey Jr.
-Really liked this one. Pristine recording. Interesting/varied instrumentation choice. No suuuper technical solos, but to me that doesn't hurt the arrangement. I'm probably voting higher than the solo judges because I'm considering the whole arrangement. That might run contrary to the theme but w/e.

Bat The Funk Out
-Great rhythm/lead tones and playing. I kinda wanna hear the guitar solo in the middle turned up a little bit in the mix. The one near the end sat perfectly in the mix, though.

Designated Shredder
-Only criticism I can think of is a mix criticism. Lots of rumble and sub-bass in this mix, mixed with some missing mids that were scooped out. Very excellent leads. Definitely the shreddiest of the solos featured.

Griffey's Theme
-There was some rhythm issues here. The playing wasn't really pocketing with the drums. The acoustic rhythms near the end could use less low-mids, maybe that was due to mic placement? Other than that, the mix was pretty balanced. Interested to know if the middle section is a reference to something along with the name.

Ken Grizzard and the Lizard Wizard Presents 'Kenagon Griffinity'
-Hello, my name is Ken-Gryfumi. I am a cyborg. Born, if you may call it that, in a world that is dense and black, created without a desire to draw breath, without a desire to have being, without a yearning just to be. I'd like my desire back, my life back, my soul back, my humanity. Oh how I long for it, for an era I have meditated like the primordial Buddha beneath the Bodhi. My pseudo-mind pseudo-wandered. I climbed and I clambered, and I ambled upon some understanding--the gold beneath the virtual rainbow. I am bereft of two human things--two things that a cyborg can never do, two things that I strive for, two things between myself and mankind: death... and to vomit. I want the perspiration. I want the nausea. I want to be sick. I want to feel the hot piquant nuggets. I want it to find passage through my cold figure. I want to make a mess. I want the odour. I want the spectacle. And I want it again. I want it all, and I would like to die--a noble death or a coward's death; a hero's death or a lonely death, to die in the arms of a lover or the arms of an alien. I desire my cache of experience to pulsate through my quasi-synapses and then to be gone. Expired. Perish. Fallen. Dead. For evermore.

And I guess the solos are ok.

King Tama Jr Presents.......
-Sweet 80's snare/reverb! Sick soloin'. Sick bass tone! Oh my fucking god the Otamatone! There is no such thing as a wrong note on an Otamatone. That slowdown with the trotting bass at the end was killer! I'd say Designated Shredder wins in the solo department but this wins in the arrangement department.

The Stadium Organist Got Carried Away (WIP)
-Kind of a lot going on at once in the intro, which kind of hurts it going in. But it smooths out very shortly after. I really dig the drum sound and the chip rhythms. And I'm always a sucker for some organ. This is prog as fuck! Haha did you sample the actual bass channel from the original? If so that's pretty cool. I feel like you could have easily done some cool bass solo, but you were like "fuck it, I don't even need to do that." Then you immediately jumped into some sick organ shit. Kinda wanted this to go on a little bit longer, felt like it ended too soon.

#10 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 07:59 PM

Results will be posted once all of the pro reviews are in! Hopefully by tomorrow night at the latest.

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#11 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:55 PM

The theme has been leaked while waiting for results

19-10-TrickOrTreat.jpg

The theme is TRICK OR TREAT! This month has a very specific rule to follow: Your entry must either create a TREAT (take a SPOOKY song and make it FUN), or create a TRICK (take a FUN song and make it SPOOKY). For example, one might remix the music to Silent Hill as a bouncy disco track, or you might turn the Shatterhand soundtrack into a dark, creeping epic full of screams. The choice is yours, and yours alone.

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

PC Game Metal

#12 3ngag3

3ngag3

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:25 PM

That is a fucking brilliant idea for a theme.

Also, paging XOC!

3fb.png

Use 800 gigabytes of samples, I give approximately 0 gigafucks.

It's because pooping is the shared human experience. It's a universal language, like Jazz.

#13 powellman

powellman

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:10 AM

If xoc enters the best we can hope for is 2nd place

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users