205 replies to this topic

#196 Warrior Bob

Warrior Bob

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:25 PM

According to the family photo I missed meeting lermpy by a distance of approximately one (1) streifig. Next time!

Was super good to get to see/meet so many of you though! 

#197 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:31 PM

Robby and I missed the family photo because, as he already said, we were busy trying to download a GIF of Super Saiyan Goku smoking weed for the Fresh Men album release party live stream

#198 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:14 AM

Can we get a good still of the Goonies R DoD circle as a secondary family photo?

banner.png

#199 lermpy

lermpy

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:02 PM

I don't wanna poke too much fun at the guy, but there's a couple of things about David Wise's appearance that were funny to me. 

First, at this panel, he presented this (sort-of?) power point thing from Cubase on his laptop. If you don't know, Cubase is normally used for tracking music, but he had finagled the thing to play little bits of video and stills with occasional clips of tracks from Time Lord and Donkey Kong Country. This may go without saying, but it was awkward and janky because that's the kind of thing that can happen when you use "non-traditional" solutions. At the time I just thought "Hey, It's David Wise, he can do what he wants."

Cut to seeing his set on youtube - part of his video accompaniment still had the water mark on it (https://youtu.be/AgaE3-RY4FE?t=387), but the best moment is the appearance of Rocket Raccoon at the beginning of the Starfox medley (https://youtu.be/AgaE3-RY4FE?t=1516). My guess there is that someone googled "fox," found a similar-looking mammal, threw it in the video, and went to lunch. 

I guess the conclusion here is that David (or whoever works for David) is kinda phoning it in on the A/V front, or he's a troll of some kind. Either way, I appreciate the giggles.

#200 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:50 PM

We’ve been joking about Marshall Art being “dad rock” all weekend but after checking out David Wise’s set on YouTube (missed it at mag) I can see what real dad rock is like.
marshallart.bandcamp.com
chiptune/post-rock, orange guitar, Russian-Canadian

soundcloud.com/lovebotsmsk
indie pop, orange guitar, Russian

#201 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:46 PM

Cut to seeing his set on youtube - part of his video accompaniment still had the water mark on it (https://youtu.be/AgaE3-RY4FE?t=387), but the best moment is the appearance of Rocket Raccoon at the beginning of the Starfox medley (https://youtu.be/AgaE3-RY4FE?t=1516). My guess there is that someone googled "fox," found a similar-looking mammal, threw it in the video, and went to lunch. 

I guess the conclusion here is that David (or whoever works for David) is kinda phoning it in on the A/V front, or he's a troll of some kind. Either way, I appreciate the giggles.

You could see the suggested next video from youtube in the upper right corner at parts. That means whoever make it didn't even pull the direct video, but was capturing their screen. Fantastic levels of trolling if that was what it was. 

banner.png

#202 corysbeard

corysbeard

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:53 PM

I didn't see his mainstage set but I saw the last few songs of his Lobby Bar set and it was the most surreal combination of Donkey Kong Country music and Santana/Bon Jovi covers.

I don't think I will ever quite see anything like that again.

#203 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:13 AM

Plus

-The weather

-Cheap Dinosaurs just demolishing on Thursday night. The sound started a little wonky but the house staff dialed it in after a couple of songs. So many awesome new ultra bangers. My favorite thing about Cheap Dinos is that they don't really have a genre, but they definitely have *a sound* and that's a really cool, impressive, inspiring thing.

-Super Guitar Bros. debuting their arrangement of Dancing Mad. They've really outdone themselves with that one and that's saying a lot. Can't wait for the next official recording from them.

-Fresh Men listening party was an all-time Mag highlight. I mean it was...shocking. And that's not at all to say that I didn't expect something awesome. But it was a moment where I was like, "...I can't believe I get to experience this in my lifetime."

-Sagnew's hospitality with the suite, especially in light of the events of (I think it was four?) years ago. Thanks so much, homie.

-The 5 gallon Igloo cooler of sake.

-The Hit Points. I don't normally gravitate toward bluegrass instrumentation but I took a chance on these guys and it was utterly decimating. The banjo player in particular was likely the most mind-blowing musician in the entire Gaylord over the weekend and I mean...think about that. It was especially cool to just hear bluegrass instruments doing something that wasn't "run away from the sheriff" music. Very in the vein of the Punch Brothers, if you've ever messed with them. Also I love how like early-2000s-generic/arbitrary their name is.

-Sammus. I've seen her perform a few times in the past but she brought it extra hard for this show, and the crowd energy was electric. It's almost a shame that she has a vg-related name because she doesn't really fall into the "nerdcore" niche that much in my opinion, nor needs to.

-Quality time with the Protomen.

-Trying to dig the depths of the Gaylord with Robby, hoping for secret boiler room status, and the convos held within. Thanks for that my dude. <3

-Katamari-style morphing chant balls

-Marshall Art! I thought everything really came together. And just as I was telling someone I wished they would drop Robocop 3, they totally did. But the whole set ripped. It always feels like a gift to have Mikhail and JMR around in general, but especially when they're together on stage.

-Late night arcade room jams with various groups of people throughout the weekend. I think just bumming around in the arcade being ridiculous in the middle of the night will always be one of my favorite magtivities. My favorite game remains Ice Cold Beer and I was glad to see the same obsessively-dedicated guy who keeps his machine tip-top offered up his machine yet again this year.

-Goonies R DoD. I was really glad we did that, thanks to JMR for organizing. I had an interesting time at DoD otherwise as well, especially going around and talking to the various people in there who were neither Shizzies nor entrants.

Bleargh there are so many more highlights! Getting to see Dee for a second, Zach showing up, Shoe and Ken Oh lording over the younglings with grace, DBJ's incredible custom Kenji Eno t-shirt...but alas, I'm on tour again and I'm going to go ahead and dump this into the world and just keep adding to the thread as things come up. 

#204 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:59 PM

Jace it was really fun to watch you make your way around the room on the DoD video stream. I was sad to not be there but really happy to see people clearly having a great time.

#205 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:25 PM

Loved having the Pit Viper crew B) And playing Coors Light Bowling with DRONK Openium and Seltzmaneddie

Also glad we’ve been doing the “DIS! COUNT! BABYJAM MICHAEL!” chant to the cadence of the #X68000 chant from last year. I don’t think he was expecting that when he first walked into the suite.

#206 lermpy

lermpy

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:30 PM

-The Hit Points. I don't normally gravitate toward bluegrass instrumentation but I took a chance on these guys and it was utterly decimating. The banjo player in particular was likely the most mind-blowing musician in the entire Gaylord over the weekend and I mean...think about that. It was especially cool to just hear bluegrass instruments doing something that wasn't "run away from the sheriff" music. Very in the vein of the Punch Brothers, if you've ever messed with them. Also I love how like early-2000s-generic/arbitrary their name is.

Agree on all points. VGM Punch Bros was literally my first thought on hearing them. As a fellow Southern boy, I've been trying to network with them here and there, but to no avail. Prob for the best since they're in a league of their own (and significantly quieter than most groups). Their redonk skill is also why I can forgive "The Hit Points" as a band name. It's one step away from "Nintendy Band," but they kind of own it.

As a side note, I'll also go ahead and throw in Sarah Jarosz in the pile of non-awful bluegrass-adjacent music. https://www.youtube....h?v=VxpuB10FaSE

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users