#1 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:37 AM

#1 newip - Master of Darkness - Nyctophobia - good +0.02
#2 Cory Johnson - Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - I'm Thinking (About Thos Beans) - good -0.39
#3 tibone, krobonil, thebitterroost, Ian Martyn, Mark Autumn - Alex Kidd and the Lost Stars - Toy World - above average +0.31
#4 Adam - Black Belt - Isthmus of Punching - above average +0.15
#5 Ian Martyn - Sukeban Deka II: Shoujo Tekkamen Densetsu - Tekkamen is sadly not Tekkamaki - above average -0.48
#6 BakiTheFox, Mugi, Anonymous DoD Contestant - Columns, Snail Maze - The tale of a snail lost in a maze of columns - average +0.49
#7 Darmock - Hokuto No Ken - You Are Already Shred Rough - average +0.17
Voters: 9

Congrats to newip, Cory Johnson, tibone, krobonil, thebitterroost, Ian Martyn, and Mark Autumn on the win for Sega Master System Month!

19-12-1994.jpg

Next month's theme is 1994 Games!

Check out this handy (and probably incomplete) list of games released in 1994. Any game originally released in that year is game for this month. As every year, this month's listening pary will be held live at MAGFest (exact date and time to be announced)! Come listen to the entries live and vote in person with some of your favorite DoD personalities! Banner art for this month created by the wonderful Maiko Z.

Speaking of banner art, we just recently launched a Patreon for this site with the main focus being raising money for monthly banner art! Please consider contributing and helping support this VGM community! Subscriber perks to be announced.

Thanks to Impact Soundworks, the winner of this month will be getting a prize - one of the following ISW libraries: Shreddage Drums, Shreddage Bass 2, Shreddage, Shreddage 2 or Super Audio Cart!

Also: Did you know that we now have a Discord server? As well as a whole new Music Player? Keep up with the times!

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#2 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:19 AM

I already voiced my dissatisfaction over on Discord but I'm gonna repeat it here: the theme sucks. The only things worth covering from 1994 have already been done do death, and I have no intention of covering overcovered shit. All year long I was excited for MAG month because I really wanted to go all out this year and make something really good but then this shitty theme gets picked. I'm out.

#3 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:21 PM

There are literally hundreds of games from this year, and maybe 15 of them are what you would call "overcovered". I highly doubt you could look at this list of games and be able to truthfully say "I have listened to every soundtrack here and they are all objectively terrible except the soundtracks that everyone likes". A true arranger would be willing and able to remix any song from any game and make it sound good. Leaning on a kickass soundtrack for a basis is a crutch.

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#4 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:37 PM

I don't have the free time to listen to hundreds of obscure soundtracks hoping to find something decent I might cover, just to end up with a half-assed attempt because I don't actually like the song I'm covering.

I've listened to an insane number of video game soundtracks over the last decade and I have a list of 50+ songs I wanted to cover in the future. None of them is from 1994. And like I said, I was really fucking excited for this MAGFest month so I'm genuinely angry at this theme pick.

#5 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,090 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:23 PM

Oh no, the universe doesn't center around me!

DNa7A7D.jpg

#6 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:33 PM

Oh no, the universe doesn't center around me!

Don't twist my words.

EDIT: To clarify, I know that this isn't about me or any individual, but having such a limiting theme for what is supposed to be the biggest DoD month of the year should be disappointing to many people.

#7 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,090 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:59 PM

Here are some games from 94 with amazing soundtracks that are not overcovered:

Live A Live

Lunar: Eternal Blue

Monster World IV

Robotrek

Shining Force CD

Umihara Kawase

Zoda's Revenge: StarTropic's II

DNa7A7D.jpg

#8 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,399 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:38 PM

Just do Mega Man V for Gameboy, you coward!

Jk Erich WK is the real coward. He wouldn't dare attempt Mega Man V for Gameboy.

#9 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,399 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:40 PM

pIENESS is doing all of Wild Guns this month ANONYMITY COMPROMISED

#10 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 05:19 PM

Ivan, it's not up to me what you cover or what months you enter, but for the love of DoD, listen to the Umihara Kawase OST while the month is young.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#11 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:49 PM

This is kind of a great theme, 1994 was a great year for games and I cannot wait to hear what everyone comes up with. I will thoroughly enjoy reinterpretations of old favorites but am moreso looking forward to hearing some of the more obscure great stuff that I personally enjoy from that year. Good Job.

amTr0fm.png

#12 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

Top Toxic Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,455 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:22 PM

not if you prefer to remix nes or famicom stuff. you're limited to about 5 titles and they're all famicom, ahah. adventure island 4 had pretty shitty music

Posted Image

#13 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:11 PM

TMNT Tournament Fighters for NES tho
marshallart.bandcamp.com
chiptune/post-rock, orange guitar, Russian-Canadian

soundcloud.com/lovebotsmsk
indie pop, orange guitar, Russian

#14 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

Top Toxic Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,455 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:31 PM

some sources say it was sept 93. i dunno what to believe really. last licensed title was in 94 and it was warios woods, but beyond those two you still only have a handful of games. bonks adventure, c&d 2, flintstones 2. its slim pickins for nes in there if youre not doing some unlicensed stuff.

Posted Image

#15 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:18 PM

not everymonth is nes month.

there's like 700 games to choose from, in 1994. so, it's not like it's "32x month".

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users