Never Buy Guitar Center's Performance Guarantee!!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DirtyRed_*

Guest_DirtyRed_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:34 PM

i bought some cymbals for my drum set back in January. when i bought them, the guy at Guitar Center offered me the 'Perfomance Gurantee' for $20 more and i would be covered for two years (manufatcturers warranty is for 1 year). the way the dude at Guitar Center made it sound is that i basically send in a broken cymbal and get a "no questions asked" check for the cymbal pack i bought ($300, i know, it's cheap for a set of cymbals). so i paid for the 'Performance Gurantee' thinking it was a cool deal....

not even....

i broke two cymbals, which are pretty much crucial to my drum set. no worries, i thought, i got the 'Performance Guarantee'...

here's how it's gone down so far:

-Thursday, 17th: i called to find out what i need to do to get a check or new cymbals. operator told me that i would need to send them in and then they would send me 2 new ones. she said i would get a call in two business days. (she told me the whole process could take 8 weeks....ARRRGGGHH!!!!)

-Monday, 21st: three business days later, no call from the people, so i call them. they said they would need to call me back. finally got a call from them late in the afternoon. they said they needed to get more info from me, and then they would call me back tommorrow.

-Wednesday, 23rd: no call from them, so i call them back. they claim that they are still waiting to hear from so-and-so, will call me tomorrow with the info on where to ship it from (they pay for shipping).

-Thursday, 24th: no call from them, again (not surprised at this point). i call them. they give me the info on where to ship it from, i have to ship it from a specific store that they chose for me that was close to my house. "cool", i thought, i'll ship this afternoon. well, i call the UPS store that was specifically chosen for me to ship from...it's on Luke Air Force Base. i can't get to that store without a military ID....great! i call the 'Performace Gurantee' folks back and let them know what happened. "Sir, we will have to call you back tomorrow with another store to ship from"...why the fuck that takes a whole day is beyond me. i ask to speak to a manager, and dude gets on the phone and sounds like he didn't even go to high school. i asked him his name and number and told him that i would call him, not an operator, to deal with this if i don't get a call by 12pm tomorrow.

on top of all this, it could be up to 4 weeks before i get my cymbals back. now, i can't figure out how the hell i am supposed to play my drums with no cymbals.

sure, i don't have to buy two new cymbals, but had i gone thru the manufacturer's warranty directly, then i wouldn't have to deal with this unecessary additional bullshit. (if you buy the 'Performace Gurantee', you still have to go thru them, even if you are covered under manufacturers warranty).

at this point, i would rather buy two new cymbals than deal with this horseshit. but how can i justify buying two new ones when i have two free ones coming to me????

basically, this is my one-man crusade to boycott the "Performance Gurantee" cuz it's a load of crap!!!!! stick with manufacturer's warranty.

#2 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:39 PM

Guitar Center is the Walmart of musical equipment. I try to buy locally wherever I can
Like going to the MusicStore next to the Hollywood Alley for guitar tuneups and strings
and such.

I personally hate guitar center, but at the sametime, I have bought quite a bit of stuff there
because they really do have the best deals and that is something I can't really overlook.

A necessary evil that I haven't found a work around for.

Thanks for the info, I won't be getting their Performance Gaurantee
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#3 Guest_DirtyRed_*

Guest_DirtyRed_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:10 PM

Guitar Center is the Walmart of musical equipment. I try to buy locally wherever I can
Like going to the MusicStore next to the Hollywood Alley for guitar tuneups and strings
and such.

I personally hate guitar center, but at the sametime, I have bought quite a bit of stuff there
because they really do have the best deals and that is something I can't really overlook.

A necessary evil that I haven't found a work around for.

Thanks for the info, I won't be getting their Performance Gaurantee

i feel that same way about GC...i would prefer to buy from local shops, but i have found that they are consistently more expensive than GC....plus GC has more stock to look at....but, i do like local shop service much more...

#4 ladydemon

ladydemon

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:03 PM

damn bro that sucks.

i usually get shit wholesale thru a contact
otherwise never shop there.

and never get the additional warranty
it's a store conspiracy.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
“You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve Albini? You just put your lips together and blow.”

#5 Tortheviking

Tortheviking

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:23 AM

dude, go to the actual store with your cymbols. dont call the fucking number, that never works. but yea, i get most of mt stuff from a place called ziggies music, where i get my guitar lessons.

#6 dharma_bum

dharma_bum

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:07 AM

ziggys is a cool spot. been in there several times trying to pawn off my silvertone. probably would've bought it but he had the same damn one. wide array of accordians as well.

#7 Guest_DirtyRed_*

Guest_DirtyRed_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:56 AM

dude, go to the actual store with your cymbols. dont call the fucking number, that never works. but yea, i get most of mt stuff from a place called ziggies music, where i get my guitar lessons.

after 30 days you can't take it back to the store.....i'm not a complete idiot...

#8 nathan

nathan

Rauble Rauble

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:27 AM

try to buy from musicians friend on the internet as much as possible. I know they are owned by guitar center, but the prices are alsways lower and there is no tax and usually no shipping. Paying the lower prices will at least cut into their profits a bit and save you the hassle of walking into a loud jimi hendrix cover band tryout to buy strings

#9 Colin

Colin

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:32 AM

I find that zzsounds has better prices than mf. I don't know about any dubious corporate affiliations or not, but next time I buy new musical equipment it will be there.

#10 Guest_Mitchell!!!!11_*

Guest_Mitchell!!!!11_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:13 PM

death to guitar center

but yeah sometimes I purchase items from there

#11 Guest_johnMFer_*

Guest_johnMFer_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:19 PM

Here's what they do with all the extra money they make on those performance guarantees... they pay $1,000,000 for one goddamn Fender Strat and $625,000 for another.

http://www.stratcoll...ves/000253.html

#12 rudolpho of pensacola

rudolpho of pensacola

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:31 PM

woops

#13 Colin

Colin

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:32 PM

haha! I saw that before you editted it, hardrocker.

#14 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:35 PM

Busted

#15 hardrocker

hardrocker

Shizz Full Member

• Members