17309 replies to this topic

#1 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 07:04 PM

first of all, i saved all of the pages from the other board, so i'll try to post them here eventually.

onto other news: i just installed another string tree on the mockingcaster and it didn't seem to help much. i'm going to put on some thicker strings and see if that helps. if needed, i'll fuck with the truss rod. and if that doesn't work..i'll cry.

i'm getting ready to install the new three way switch in the MC. once that's working, i'm going to give my three new humbuckers a shot.

sometime tonight or tomorrow i'm also going to work on the tele and the bass.

oh yeah, i'm also putting a capacitor in the mockingcaster as well as the tele. i got .022 and .047 orange sprauge drop caps. i hear they're nice. if not, i'm only out a couple bucks.
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#2 aaronburke

aaronburke

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,098 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 07:23 PM

that will be sweet...post some
pics when you can.

#3 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 07:46 PM

success!

the new three way switch works like a charm. tomorrow i shall fix the ground problem on the neck volume pot (may have to replace the pot), solder on the new capacitor on the tone pot, and perhaps try some new pickups. all i have to do on the tele is fix the ground (it buzzes like a bastard) and switch the cap. i'm going to have to figure out what the hell is wrong with the bass-i really hope i didn't ruin the dual concentric pot, but knowing the way i work, i probably did. will post results, as well as pics (eventually).

#4 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 08:14 PM

oh, by the way, a few notes on the three pickups i recieved yesterday:

2 were the humbuckers out of bornincrimson's sg. they're gibson hummers from the 80's and i have no fucking clue what model they are. i do know that they have alnico magnets of sometime (i'm guessing 5, but possibly 2). single conductor-no splitting.

the other was a seymour duncan alnico 2 pro humbucker from 1986 (what's the deal with the 80's pickups?). this is also single conductor (no splitting, dammit). my real beef with this pickup is that it has no sd logo on it. oh well.

anyway, even if i don't like these particular pickups, aged magnets are supposed to be great: so there may be more magnet swapping on the way.

#5 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 05:50 PM

i'm a fucking genius. why wasn't my bass working? because if fucking sent a wire from the out put to a ground. goddamn. i'm getting ready to fix that.

i worked on the mockingcaster earlier. i wired something wrong because the tone knob isn't doing anything. i'll open it back up later. also, i put the new duncan in it. i'm not sure if i like it or the jb better, and i also have bornincrimson's old pickups to try out in it. will post which pickups stay in.

so i'm working on the bass right now, and next i'll be working on the telecaster. whee!

#6 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 05:53 PM

on second glance, i didn't send i wire to ground in the bass. don't know what the fuck i did wrong, but it wasn't that. actually, i saw a loose wire somewhere...maybe i should just wait til i have everything cleared up before i post...fuck that

#7 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 07:52 PM

alright-after completely unwiring everything, trouble shooting, and wiring again, the bas works like it's supposed to. finally. it sounds good, but will sound even better when i actually mess with the eq on my amp.

i forgot to mention that the thicker strings in addition to the string tree nearly eliminated the buzz on the d string of the mockingcaster. i imagine i'll have to adjust the truss rod a bit to fix that. actually, i'm probably going to have to do some truss rod adjustment among other things since the fucking thing won't intonate.

it's getting late (well....only late because i have to be at work in 8 hours) and my head is full of soldering fumes, so i'm not going to work on the mockingcaster or tele anymore tonight.

#8 Guest_johnMFer_*

Guest_johnMFer_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2003 - 09:02 AM

The volume pot is getting scratchy on the Jazzmaster. I'm going to have to replace it, I think. I might also rewire it with thinner wire. I think I used 12 or 14 guage wire in there, maybe that is what is contributing to the hum I hear so very loudly. Our music room shares a wall with the TV in the living room and when the TV is on, the hum is so unbearable I can't even play the JM. The hum isn't so bad with the frankenstrat, but the HBs probably have something to do with that.

Last night my wife and I jammed for the first time since adopting our dog. He freaked out! He acted as if we were throwing chainsaws around the room. Our dog NEVER barks, but when I was warming up he went into this total freak out barkalot mode. It was weird. He peed on the carpet (for the 1st time) and jumped on the couch and everything. Anyway, he better get over it because I haven't been playing music for the last 15 years just to have to quit because of a dog.

#9 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 02:42 PM

i'm going to have to replace the neck volume pot on the mockingcaster. it isn't grounded and is scratchy. i'm also going to put the gibson pickups in it soon. also, i think i wired the tone knob a little wrong on the bass. just need to move some wires to a different lug. hopefully i'll get everything done tonight.

in other news, here's my revised list for next gear purchase:

mxr double shot distortion-2 channel distortion pedal
electro harmonix holy grail reverb-i need reverb, nuff said
boss tu-2 pedal tuner-need a new tuner, one that will power my pedals would be even grander
drum machine-still not sure what kind

all of this will probably be ordered from musician's friend in about 5 weeks (have to pay for a new computer first).

fuck! i was going to call and order my speakers today, but i forgot until now. i think it's too late to call...f it, i'll just email.

#10 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 02:48 PM

the boss tu-2 is the best pedal in the world
I never thought I would love a tuner so much

as far as gear goes, I am looking at buying another marshall.................................... psyche

I do need to get my marshall superbass repaired so I can stop playing through my old kustom head for the baritone
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#11 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 04:20 PM

I'm almost done with my scalloped fretboard guitar project if anyone cares :D

#12 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 04:24 PM

how much of the fretboard are you scalloping? whole thing? 12th fret and up? any pictures?

#13 Guest_johnMFer_*

Guest_johnMFer_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2003 - 04:40 PM

Lobster stuffed with crab and scallops is tasty. Scalloped fretboards are scary, though. Man, are they weird.

I wonder what a scalloped non-slab RW/Maple fretboard would look like? It'd look like having maple inlays, maybe? That would be even weirder.

I'm still keeping an eye on ebay for a Dunlop Rotovibe, and planning on purchasing some drum gear. I need stands, cymbals, heads and lugs.

#14 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 05:09 PM

Yeah, scalloped every fret (I say it in past tense because I just have some touching up to do). And I did it all by hand. I used a 1/4 inch round file on each fret at the beginning which took 20 minutes each, then I used a half inch round file on the ones that it could fit on, that took up to and hour for each one if I wanted it to look good. It wouldn't fit on any fret past the 11th without scraping the crap out of them. It's about the size of the 8th or 9th. Everything below that I had to manually file down the parts that didn't get sanded by the half inch round file.

Yeah I'll get some pictures up when it's done. But I did it on a Fender Squier (I know!) that was my brother's. It was collecting dust in the garage so I figured I'd make it a project guitar.

#15 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 07:32 PM

squier guitar=good project guitar
your brother's squier guitar=perfect project guitar

that sounds cool, man. good luck with the touch ups (they can be the worst fucking part).

ok, so i had great plans of finishing all of my guitars tonight. surprise, surprise-it didn't happen. i put the gibson pickups in the mockingcaster and royally fucked the wiring. so i'm probably going to be working on that for the next couple days.

Reply to this topic

5 user(s) are reading this topic

5 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users