17309 replies to this topic

#17296 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,886 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:47 PM

i think i want to build another tele but i don't want to sink much dough into it.

anyone have a cheap tele body?
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#17297 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:56 PM

Does anyone here have experience playing on multiscale/fanned fret guitars? Does getting used to those make you suck on regular guitars or is it easy to transition back and forth? Is it more comfortable and does it actually sound better? General thoughts? 

I've got a FB buddy that plays strandbergs and loves them.  I can put you in touch with him if you want to pick his brain.  

LogoNew-Ping_small.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#17298 Big Jilm

Big Jilm

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:58 PM

How "off brand" can the tele body be? I have a stack of tele-ish bodies. Regarding Elixirs- there are two thicknesses of coating, "Polyweb", and "Nanoweb". The Nanoweb is thinner and feels more like a regular string.

As far as a neck for a cigar box guitar, you could wait for a crappy smaller "kid's" acoustic or electric to pop up  and rob the neck off that. Maybe shave the sides down to a four string.

#17299 brodan

brodan

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:58 PM

Does anyone here have experience playing on multiscale/fanned fret guitars? Does getting used to those make you suck on regular guitars or is it easy to transition back and forth? Is it more comfortable and does it actually sound better? General thoughts? 

you've played my dingwall before. how was that?

basses have an even more extreme fret angle then fanned guitars do, so if you can handle that youll barely notice any difference on a guitar. the fanned fret system is designed to feel natural because your hand fans that way naturally when you stretch it out. i dont think youd have a problem transition back and forth. 

i remember you mentioning a while back that you were interested in a strandberg. do it.

Why the fuck cant I see when I close my eyes?

#17300 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:28 PM

I've got a FB buddy that plays strandbergs and loves them.  I can put you in touch with him if you want to pick his brain.  

That would be awesome! 

you've played my dingwall before. how was that?

basses have an even more extreme fret angle then fanned guitars do, so if you can handle that youll barely notice any difference on a guitar. the fanned fret system is designed to feel natural because your hand fans that way naturally when you stretch it out. i dont think youd have a problem transition back and forth. 

i remember you mentioning a while back that you were interested in a strandberg. do it.

Oh wow I didn't even notice that about your Dingwall. I guess that's a good thing that I played fine and didn't even notice a difference. The thing that really threw me off was that it was a five string and I practiced all the songs on a four string. So when I was playing live I kept mindlessly hitting the lowest string instead of explicitly thinking "that's not E you fuckhead this is a five string."

I am considering getting a strandberg or something similar. It's literally been 6 years since I've gotten a new guitar. I bought a bunch of musical instruments in the last year or two (A tenor Sax, EWI, MIDI keyboard, Bass VI) but I haven't had a solid guitar upgrade in soooo long.

I'm not sure if it'd be a financially solid decision to drop a couple grand on a new guitar right now though because I had to drop A LOT of money lately on my mom. She had to get several surgeries over the last year or so and her shit-tier bare minimum Obamacare coverage still leaves her hanging. Like how the fuck can someone who barely makes enough to survive as it is be expected to shell out thousands of dollars on medical expenses? And if she didn't have that bare minimum shitty insurance it would be like 10 times more. Fuck the medical/pharmaceutical industries. But I mean I can't complain. I'd rather my money go towards important shit like keeping my mom from losing her job than buying new guitars all the time. Anyway that's for a different thread, but when May rolls around I'll be looking to get a new guitar for sure. And when that time comes a couple of months from now, I plan on going big or going home because it would probably be the last guitar I buy for a while. 

#17301 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,886 posts

Posted Today, 01:38 AM

take it to the political hut, chud.
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#17302 Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted Today, 05:32 AM

Speaking of: having come to the belated (but obvious in hindsight, I should have listened to you guys 3 years ago) realization that learning the guitar on an extended-scale 7-string with br00tvl metvl active pickups (Schecter Blackjack SLS C7, an otherwise fine instrument) was not a good idea, I want to buy myself a nice, standard-scale, polyvalent 6-string for my birthday in May (and then maybe I'll sell the Schecter).

After talking a bit with Snappleman and Stemage (whose guitaring gives me boners), I am now set on boarding the Carvin/Kiesel hype train. Although I find the DC127/DC600 attractive (in HSS configuration), I'm currently thinking my choice will be the Aries 6 (with HSH pickups). This thing looks gorgeous. <3

#17303 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,586 posts

Posted Today, 05:57 AM

Looking at the specs on the Kiesel page, that thing's neck sounds super comfy. I still can't believe the price point on those guitars for the parts used/quality control. Such a good deal.

eKawlATs.jpg

#17304 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,026 posts

Posted Today, 09:52 AM

FWIW, I've heard lots of reviews of Kiesel going way downhill since they left Carvin.  Lots of complaints from customers about poor manufacturing and then horrible customer support in response to their concerns.  I don't speak from personal experience, but it would be worth looking into before dropping money on a custom guitar.

LogoNew-Ping_small.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#17305 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,591 posts

Posted Today, 10:02 AM

As far as a neck for a cigar box guitar, you could wait for a crappy smaller "kid's" acoustic or electric to pop up  and rob the neck off that. Maybe shave the sides down to a four string.

You can use pretty much any hunk of wood to make a neck if you want. Use a nail or something for the nut, a hunk of metal for the bridge. Unless you want to make it look nice. 

Cool. I'm looking for something fretted for sure. Not sure if I want to go into fretting myself. I do have a hunk of wood I have been specifically saving for this project for like 4 years should I go that route. 

Just found a cigar box supply place online that will sell me a fully fretted maple fretboard for $37... not too shabby. (strokes beard)

#17306 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,591 posts

Posted Today, 10:11 AM

Speaking of: having come to the belated (but obvious in hindsight, I should have listened to you guys 3 years ago) realization that learning the guitar on an extended-scale 7-string with br00tvl metvl active pickups (Schecter Blackjack SLS C7, an otherwise fine instrument) was not a good idea, I want to buy myself a nice, standard-scale, polyvalent 6-string for my birthday in May (and then maybe I'll sell the Schecter).

After talking a bit with Snappleman and Stemage (whose guitaring gives me boners), I am now set on boarding the Carvin/Kiesel hype train. Although I find the DC127/DC600 attractive (in HSS configuration), I'm currently thinking my choice will be the Aries 6 (with HSH pickups). This thing looks gorgeous. <3

I would recommend you go to a shop, try some out. Buying based on looks isn't the way to go. Definitely don't buy a custom guitar brand new without a return guarantee for a full refund. 

Short cool story bro:

In 2005 I ordered a G&L (very reputable company) custom that was supposed to be exactly like one I played in the store earlier in the year, that I thought was pretty rad. The one I got was awful, I was upset, couldn't return it because it was custom ordered, and lost half my money selling it. 

In 2006 I went to the store and picked up a PRS Custom 22 that was gloss black after I swore off ever owning another black guitar, that had a trem on it and I'm very much a hardtail kind of guy, that had a rotary switch for pickup switching which I thought I would hate, but man! It played so well and sounded so good, I bought it. Fast forward 10 years and it's still my main guitar. 

#17307 Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted Today, 10:32 AM

I would recommend you go to a shop, try some out. Buying based on looks isn't the way to go. Definitely don't buy a custom guitar brand new without a return guarantee for a full refund.

Agreed.

- Kiesel guitars have a trial period. If you don't like the instrument, you can return it for a full refund (minus shipping), no questions asked. Admittedly, this is not as attractive for me as it is for you americans, as shipping to/from Canada is still fairly expensive and I wouldn't get my customs/import charges back.

- I was driven to this brand not because of looks, but rather because I love the sound of Snappleman and Stemage (Grant's main Metroid Metal axe is a DC127, Andreas has a whole collection of Carvins/Kiesels). That the instruments are gorgeous is just a nice side bonus.

- Guitar stores in Montreal, outside of cheapo gear (of which they have an impressive collection) stock all brands of guitars, as long as those brands are Fender, Fender or Fender (with maybe a Gibson or two if you know where to look). I know I'd very, very much like to try out a couple high-end Ibanezes (S or RG) before committing to a purchase. Their hardtail HH's have a really interesting switching mechanism.

I also considered EBMM at some point (I love their sound too -- Silhouette Special and Petrucci <3 ), but seeing how the climate is here and remembering my experience with my Bongo (and what I'm going through right now with my Schecter), I never want to buy an instrument without a reinforced (ideally mixed-wood 5-piece) neck again. Also, they've become *insanely* expensive over here those past few years.

#17308 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,791 posts

Posted Today, 10:40 AM

I got a Carvin guitar just as they transitioned into Kiesel. The quality is pretty far beyond my previous Carvin guitars (of which I've had 5). The customer service has always been 50/50 with them. I never understood people who gushed about their customer service reps, my experience with them has always been along the lines of the squeaky wheel gets the grease. There are always people who immediately go into "WORST COMPANY EVER! THEY GAVE ME A BLACK TRUSS ROD COVER INSTEAD OF THE WHITE ONE! THIS GUITAR IS UNPLAYABLE! I DEMAND A FULL REFUND AND TO ALSO KEEP THE GUITAR!" and they tend to be the ones writing reviews so always take that with a grain of salt.

Posted Image

#17309 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,791 posts

Posted Today, 10:53 AM

It's easy to let things get way out of hand when you're shopping for a new guitar, especially an expensive one. You're going to get a quality instrument no matter what brand it is past a certain price point. What you want now is aesthetic and feel which don't really have much to do with "build" quality. Carvin/Kiesel neck profiles are very unique feeling, so get the thinner one if you're gonna go with them, as the standard will take a little getting used to. Other than that the only thing that makes a difference once you're past $700 is the finish quality. I'm not talking about the paint either, I mean the fit/finishing of the guitar. You're going to be feeling the difference in the fretwork, the pocket/cavity sanding, the electronics, details like brass/metal inserts in the control cavity screw holes etc.

The most important thing to look out for is the fret finishing, Carvin, PRS, Music Man all have comparable fret finishes in terms of smoothness of the fret ends, and in a dry/cold climate like yours you're going to be feeling fret ends on any guitar, so you really it's those tiny details that will make the difference for you. Again, the jump in quality is not great past that price, you're paying exponentially increasing rates for details till about $1500USD. Past that price what you're paying for is bragging rights on forums.

Posted Image

#17310 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,322 posts

Posted Today, 10:56 AM

It's the laws of diminishing returns. Over a certain price point, it's more about preferences than quality. I think for guitars, it's usually around the 2k usd range. Over that point, the increase in price does not relate to a increase in quality.

That said, i would love to try (and be able to afford) an Aries. I follow kiesel on instagram, and i keep drooling over the pictures.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://tibone.bandcamp.com - MUSIC

http://www.youtube.com/tibonev/ - VIDEOS

Reply to this topic

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 1 anonymous users