17632 replies to this topic

#17626 Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

I could have *sworn* it didn't back when I was trying out the 657, though. And it also didn't when I played the Jackson (which has HSS pickups). It's weird.

#17627 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,231 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

18581513_1212690428852773_37719744460094

Get equipped with RG652FX. Made in Japan, HH DiMarzio pickups, hardtail bridge, neck like butter, a remarkably no-nonsense workhorse of a guitar.

I went to the music shop yesterday intending to buy the RG657 (HSH, Floyd) that I'd tried a few weeks ago, but it had already been sold, so instead I spent the afternoon trying other guitars (starting with a very unimpressive RG655 -- poorly-maintained, and the middle pickup kept getting in the way of my picking).

I was about to pull the trigger on a Jackson DK3 (fantastic guitar, btw) when the salesman comes to me, says "hey, look what just arrived!" and hands me this guitar (which, according to the sticker, passed QC at the Fujigen factory 10 days ago and is incredibly well set up out of the box). And proceeds to quote me a price $800 cheaper than what my initial budget for the 657 was.

And so at this point I thought, "meh, I don't really need a Floyd," and bought this one.

The picture is terribly shitty (yay cell phone, I'll get a few proper pics with my real camera soon) so you can't see it, but it's not plain black. There are tiny sparkly bits in the paint (kinda like a MusicMan Petrucci) -- Ibanez calls that finish "Galaxy Black".

I want to debut it with my Make The Fucking Art May recording attempt (hopefully coming before the end of the month :P ). And then, onwards to Kain Month DoD.

*Immediately looks up model on Reverb*

Still GASing for a shredder style guitar. 

toopunk2lose.png

#17628 Big Jilm

Big Jilm

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

PSA. Anybody that has any interest in EMG pickups, I can crush every price you see.

#17629 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

Middle pickup height is very important for playability. I set my HSS/HSH guitars up so the mid pickup is barely higher than the surface of the guitar.

Posted Image

#17630 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,387 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:24 AM

Wild_Cat: Dude, congrats. That is a fantastic guitar. That galaxy black finish is gourgeous and i know that those necks are fantastic.

ToneZone / AirNorton ?

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://tibone.bandcamp.com - MUSIC

http://www.youtube.com/tibonev/ - VIDEOS

http://x68k.classicgames.com.br/ - X68k AMAZEBALLS MUSIC.

#17631 Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:47 AM

Yup! Sound- and playability-wise, it's pretty much all I could ever wish for in a guitar: standard scale, 6 strings, shreddable neck and pickups Built For The Prog. So now you know that anything bad you hear coming from that guitar, is 100% to blame on my fingers. :D

#17632 DiscountBabyJam Mike

DiscountBabyJam Mike

Jean Clause Van Salome

• Members
  • 7,081 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:25 AM

Middle pickup height is very important for playability. I set my HSS/HSH guitars up so the mid pickup is barely higher than the surface of the guitar.

Thank you for reminding me, I need to re-find a screwdriver in my unpacked pile of junk that's small enough to lower the middle pickup on my Steinberger. it's driving me batty because of how close to the strings it is.

large rob zombie picture, music, video goes here. "Yeah"

#17633 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,124 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:44 AM

I picked up an Ibanez RG8 8-string this weekend.  Dude on CL was selling it for $175 and it was in decent shape.  It needs to have the frets buffed and intonation dialed in a bit (after changing out the old-ass strings, of course), but it feels otherwise solid.  

I have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet.  I've been planning on doing some lower stuff at some point in the future when I have some free time (ha), so this was mainly a "it's a good deal and I'll probably use it someday" sort of purchase.

I've played a 7 for about five years now and am very used to it, but this still feels like a different animal.  How the fuck do people even tune these things for chords?  I'm guessing EBEADGBe and then just growing my barre finger another few inches?

In any event, new gear day so yay.

LogoNew-Ping_small.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users