19461 replies to this topic

#19366 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:59 PM

I used a different preamp pedal that was essentially the same thing (preamp section of an amp in a pedal, complete with tubes and all that). It sounded awesome and I loved the tone, but what I didn't like was the principle of it, in my mind an amp is one thing and a pedal is another so it just felt strange, I ended up selling it. It sounded great, it sounded just like the amp I wanted, going into the power section of another amp it was fucking awesome tone, but in my head I had that weirdness and I didn't want to stay with it (mainly cuz I couldn't justify the $450 price tag or whatever it cost me, for a pedal that;s already doing what my amps did). I actually see these as being more at home in a live rig where you can have your tone dialed into your pedalboard and plug into whatever amp is at the gig.

Do you remember which one you had? 

I've actually separated out my preamp and power amp sections for a while now so if a preamp is on my pedalboard or mounted in a rack, there is no difference conceptually. I'd just rather not carry around a 45lb guitar amp head just to use its preamp (which is what I'm doing currently). I'm already using a Mesa 20/20 as a power amp.  

19388508_1549826031742117_52104236622698

#19367 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:08 PM

I had the Carvin X1 (X100B preamp). I was thinking about going full on Synergy, and the cheaper way to test that out was a preamp pedal, but in the end it just seemed needless for the way I do things, I sold it for about the same as I paid so thankfully it was a no lose trial period.

amTr0fm.png

#19368 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:22 PM

All right, so I ended up buying that Victory The Sheriff. I had looked at ebay and reverb and found a couple used ones for $400, but Zzounds had a new but blemished one for $375 with a 45 day return window, so I pulled the trigger. Looking forward to trying it out. I have high hopes but low expectations. 

#19369 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:57 PM

Everything Martin Kidd has made (victory, a bunch of cornford amps, some black star) has been amazing so I’m sure it’ll kick ass. I like his darker voiced amps more generally, but if you want a Marshall sound I’m sure Kidd’s take on one is just a Marshall but better.

eKawlATs.jpg

#19370 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:17 PM

Well, the Egnater I've been playing through for 20 years is kind of Marshally but a bit darker voiced. The other two options were the cleanish pedal or the heavy metal pedal, so this seems like it should be my speed? Once again, no idea. I had an '85 Marshall 800 and it was super bright compared tot he Egnater. I'd have the highs and presence at zero and the bass at 10 and it was still brighter than the Egnater by a long shot. The demo videos sound pretty amazing and the reviews are great, so I'm taking the chance. 

#19371 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,538 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

Don't know if this is the right thread or if anyone here is knowledgeable enough about it:

My Boss phase shifter pedal seems to be draining batteries rapidly. I put brand new batteries into it and put into my effects chain but turns off (light fades then goes out) after about a couple minutes or so. If I unplug it and then plug it back in the light and effects return to full effect only to repeat again. This also happens when it's the only effects pedal in the chain. I think it may be a loose wire or something? None of my other pedals behave like this. Would it be a simple fix especially for someone with very little electrical and soldering experience?

Battery snaps are pretty simple and sometimes pretty flimsy, so it could just be a loose connection or even a broken connection in the wire. It would be easy enough to replace depending how easy it is to take the pedal apart. It sounds like it could be a bad capacitor though. Depending on what kind of capacitor you may be able to visually see any damage. But since it's a Boss pedal there could be many surface mount components which are significantly harder to work with.

Thanks. I guess I'll have to take it apart and see what is going on.

#19372 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:12 PM

Ok so, I REALLY liked that Fender elite neck I got that deal on, and I installed it on that guitar I painted green, and loved it, but I figured I needed at least one actual Fender strat, so staked out ebay/reverb/internet till I found a good deal on a matching body, and then I got some Fender parts, and put together a full fledged Fender American Elite Stratocaster (trademark):

A1it1Wp.jpg

I had to pay QUITE THE FUCKING PREMIUM to get black hardware from "licensed" fender dealers since I have no idea if that stuff is actually authentic or cheap knockoffs (I used the string tree off my brothers Squier tho), and as you can see I am not using the Fender trem (gonna put that on the green gtr) cuz I much prefer the Gotoh Wilky VS100N to any other trem ever (fite me). I decided to put in a Kiesel Lithium in the bridge because that pickup sounds awesome and it's the best split single coil sound I've ever heard from a humbucker, and I got black pickup covers for the noiseless pickups (some pickguard screws missing cuz I still gotta add some more shielding in there).

Anyway another reason I did this was because my first ever fret leveling and crowning on an old neck I had intended to build the green guitar for was a complete stinking success!

Here's that one partially complet:

v3RcXlb.jpg

I'm gonna put the Fender 2 point trem on this one. I can't finish it yet cuz I fucking ran out of solder so I'm waiting for it to get here. But anyway thanks to being smart on the Internet and for Amazon's screwup on pricing the neck, I ended up with an elite strat for just under $500 (since I had the trem and Kiesel pickup kicking around)!

amTr0fm.png

#19373 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:02 AM

What are the 2 switches on the fender? coil-splits? 

You NEED to record a kickass tmnt with that green guitar. It turned out great. 

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

#19374 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:08 AM

Also, because i haven't posted in the forum: 

rg770.jpg

i fucking finally bought a japanese RG. 

i was going to name her TaxReturn, but Norg said it was the Smurfcaster, and who i am to disagree with THENORG?

#19375 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:00 AM

The switches are temporary! Right now one is a coil tap and the other is a series/parallel switch. I don't like the 2x tone controls on strats so I need to figure out what to use all these holes for.

Also I appreciate you posting a super high resolution 320x240 jpeg for all our friends with VGA monitors running ATI Mach8's.

amTr0fm.png

#19376 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

install something fun, like a booster or a ts. and use the switches for that.

0002.jpg 

It should work now? for the full-res. 

#19377 Papahoodwinker

Papahoodwinker

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:40 AM

All right, so I ended up buying that Victory The Sheriff. I had looked at ebay and reverb and found a couple used ones for $400, but Zzounds had a new but blemished one for $375 with a 45 day return window, so I pulled the trigger. Looking forward to trying it out. I have high hopes but low expectations.

Watched a few videos of it and it definitely rules. Post clips once you have it set up!

birthdaytheband.bandcamp.com

#19378 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:35 AM

So, not too shabby! Overall the tone is really good and very similar to the Egnater. There's definitely some compression going on that the Egnater doesn't do, like the dynamic range is slightly smaller. I am still dialing it in. Lots of gain available, way more than I would use. It can do bright, or dark, fat, thin. I A/Bed them during practice with the band and I think it could be a keeper. I'm really not looking for a big tone change - just looking to minimize. 

#19379 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:07 PM

oh baby andy got his mitts on one:

you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#19380 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,236 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

Any of y’all play 7 strings?

Any and all options for meseem to be 26.5 or 27 scale length. I do have baby hands and my 6s are 25.5. Thoughts on the transition and difficulty?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users