19868 replies to this topic

#19516 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:41 AM

its an original guv'nor - made in korea.
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#19517 kisthekids

kisthekids

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:36 PM

It blows me away that you guys are talking about that really time/place specific "Lazer Tone."  It's so recognizable in the 80s Jpop I've heard.  I hear it and I'm like, "Why did they do this?  It sounds like they're plugging direct into the board.  It has a distinct harsh raspiness."  But I can see how someone would want to replicate that tone as it is from such a nostalgiac period of music.

Akina Nakamori had quite a bit of this:

https://www.youtube....h?v=DVNYYtx8PuA
https://www.youtube....h?v=vfP6XJkDypo

I'll post some more examples when I have time.

#19518 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,373 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:34 PM

Yeah, What Mig said! Made in Korea.

The other pedals I'd like to get around market (used) price. But the Guvnor, I can let got for like 90+shipping

Olson, are you pretty sure you'll want it eventually? I don't mind holding onto it if so.

#19519 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:06 PM

It blows me away that you guys are talking about that really time/place specific "Lazer Tone." It's so recognizable in the 80s Jpop I've heard. I hear it and I'm like, "Why did they do this? It sounds like they're plugging direct into the board. It has a distinct harsh raspiness." But I can see how someone would want to replicate that tone as it is from such a nostalgiac period of music.
Akina Nakamori had quite a bit of this:
https://www.youtube....h?v=DVNYYtx8PuA
https://www.youtube....h?v=vfP6XJkDypo

I'll post some more examples when I have time.

Not sure if you saw the one post I made but Toshiki Kadomatsu actually did do it with two boss pedals right into the board.

I actually really like it though! It’s such an interesting and ‘fast’ guitar sound. It doesn’t work for every context but for a lead tone it’s like a weird guitar/synth middle ground. Curtis made a lazer patch on his Boss MS-3 and used it at practice and it sounded AGGRESSIVE. It wasn’t full lazer tho because it was rolled off a bit by using a guitar speaker instead of a FRFR one, but it was a really nice middle ground.

eKawlATs.jpg

#19520 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

Top Toxic Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,442 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

i probably shouldnt say but the laser tone shit is boss dimension c, they did a reissue of it recently because an og dimension c goes for like 250-350 now. you can get it with that using practically any dirtbox

Posted Image

#19521 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,373 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 03:05 PM

man I love Olson classic jpop picks.  I need to remember to listen to it more.  Those real background vocals!  That real bass!

Yeah I guess I don't "get" the lazer tone thing?  It works in those recordings but...I feel like it'd just be better with...non-lazer tone?

#19522 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,219 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 10:36 PM

YEah kadomatsu did a dimension c and od-1 or something into the board.

And if you don’t get why it’s cool, there is a simple explaination.

It sounds like a laser.

not every guitar tone needs to be like that of some dude on YouTube demoing expensive pedals with the world’s cringiest blues licks.

eKawlATs.jpg

#19523 kisthekids

kisthekids

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 11:14 PM

I actually had a Boss DC-2 for awhile.  It's kinda' tonally unique in that it boosts the mids when turned on, which I'm sure helped Kadomatsu naturally roll off a bit of the harshness from going direct in, while also acting as a doubling effect.  The four chorus presest are all A++.  I let it go just cause I have a Roland CE-1 which I like better (used for all chorus effects on the Pink Album).  I also have an old OD-1 with the AnalogMan "original chip" mod.  It sounds great, perhaps a hair flatter-frequencied than the average tubescreamer, but with the perfect bass roll-off to cut through any mix.  Maybe one day I'll try recording it going direct in.....

#19524 Papahoodwinker

Papahoodwinker

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 11:18 PM

I was recently watching some live-in-the-studio videos of Kadomatsu where he's using non-laser tone and as great as he sounds (like always), I was definitely missing the laser touch.

#19525 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 12:05 AM

Yeah I guess I don't "get" the lazer tone thing?  It works in those recordings but...I feel like it'd just be better with...non-lazer tone?

I didn't want to be the first one to say it, but I agree. It works in very specific situations, but otherwise it just sounds midrangey and, like... not finished, kinda? I dunno. It's not a tone I would emulate outside of a very particular circumstance. But that's just #me

BANDCAMP - Featuring my newest release, Maiden Voyage a tribute to the Star Ocean games
SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#19526 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,373 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 12:59 AM

I don't think this "lazer tone" even sounds like a laser, though. Why would a lazer have a bunch of high end fizz?  I thought they'd be more more midrange-focused.

Anyway here's what I'm working on https://drive.google...lzIMFIPiTg40_Nj

#19527 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:47 AM

I purchased a AMT C2 pedal used yesterday. Hoping it will be here by our gig Saturday. The YouTube videos sound pretty good. I love the fact that you can run all those AMT pedals as a distortion pedal into a clean amp, or as a preamp into a power amp, or run cab simulation direct to recording, or all 3 at the same time. Plus when the pedal is off, it's still preamping using a Fender like clean tone. That will basically give me 4 channels of preamp to work with all right on my pedalboard.

The C2 is the Cornford emulating version - wasn't it Robby V who was all into Cornfords? It was either that or the P2 which was the 5150 type tone. Both of them sounded wildly different from the Victory preamp, and both had some settings that sound really insane, which is what I am going for. The C2 I found was in new condition being blown out by a dealer, and at $90 was around $30 cheaper than any P2 I could find used.  

My Wampler Super Plextortion used to do that for me, but running that right into the stereo power amp is almost useless. You really need a true preamp. Distortion pedals designed to run into the front end of a clean amp do not sound anywhere near the same running directly into a power amp - dull, lifeless. Even with a 3 band EQ like the Super plextortion has, you can't get anything that sounds like it should. 

zrckag4wfu5ipdtqep0r.jpg

19388508_1549826031742117_52104236622698

#19528 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:05 AM

i mentioned this in the bass thread, but over the weekend i put a chorus pedal in the control cavity of my bass.

by default, my bass has 5 knobs (volume, rotary switch, 3 band active eq) and a mini-toggle (active / passive).  i never used the pre-amp, and prefer having individual volume controls, so i put in a standard jazz bass circuit and used the mini-toggle for series / parallel switching.

that left two open potentiometer holes.  i love two-knob chorus pedals.  the solution was obvious.

i found an already-built byoc ce-2 clone on reverb for $45 shipped, so i bought it.  ordered a 3pdt mini-toggle, then got to work once everything arrived.

i had to dremel out some space in the cavity to accommodate the circuit board, but not much, and the cavity cover still covers everything. 

as for the circuit, i had to pull the pots off the board (they were surface-mounted) and run wires to them, replace the footswitch with the mini-toggle, remove the DC jack & make appropriate jumpers, and a few other odds & ends.

i did my best to do things one step at a time with testing in between, but it didn't work when it was first installed.  did some troubleshooting & figured it out after a few tries, and now it works perfectly.

i'm so stoked on this.  i always have chorus on in my new band, so now i've freed up some space on my pedal board, plus it is cool as hell.

you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#19529 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:14 AM

i mentioned this in the bass thread, but over the weekend i put a chorus pedal in the control cavity of my bass.

by default, my bass has 5 knobs (volume, rotary switch, 3 band active eq) and a mini-toggle (active / passive).  i never used the pre-amp, and prefer having individual volume controls, so i put in a standard jazz bass circuit and used the mini-toggle for series / parallel switching.

that left two open potentiometer holes.  i love two-knob chorus pedals.  the solution was obvious.

i found an already-built byoc ce-2 clone on reverb for $45 shipped, so i bought it.  ordered a 3pdt mini-toggle, then got to work once everything arrived.

i had to dremel out some space in the cavity to accommodate the circuit board, but not much, and the cavity cover still covers everything. 

as for the circuit, i had to pull the pots off the board (they were surface-mounted) and run wires to them, replace the footswitch with the mini-toggle, remove the DC jack & make appropriate jumpers, and a few other odds & ends.

i did my best to do things one step at a time with testing in between, but it didn't work when it was first installed.  did some troubleshooting & figured it out after a few tries, and now it works perfectly.

i'm so stoked on this.  i always have chorus on in my new band, so now i've freed up some space on my pedal board, plus it is cool as hell.

Dude, this is the coolest shit.

Good lord, the fucking

ags39kE.jpg

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#19530 Papahoodwinker

Papahoodwinker

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

Have you ever used a product, liked it a lot, pimp it out on your social media, go to their website and realize it's other unknown people or Nu-Metal folks as artists and wonder "how do I swing my name into this list?" Any advice with this sort of thing?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users