5752 replies to this topic

#1 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:10 AM

Hey! I didn't really see a thread dedicated to comic books, so i thought I would
take it upon myself to do so! I've recently gotten back into reading comics (the
first time since i was about 13 and I was really into anime/manga). I recently
bought ALOT of comics. I think I'll start with these three...

Graphic novel: MARVEL 1602. Alot of Marvel comics figureheads are mysteriously placed in Elizabethan england. It was written by the same guy who wrote SANDMAN (which apparently is great, but i havent read it). When I saw the reason why everyone was in that time period, I laughed really hard because I TOTALLY didnt expect it. I really enjoyed it and it was worth the $21 i plucked down for it.

GN: Metal Gear Solid: It's pretty much just the game but with wierd art. I was expecting more something BASED on it, than just a "port" of it, if you will. But the art is really good, a little hard to tell what's going on. Its veryy surreal in that manner. I've played the game so I knew what was going on. I could tell that if someone had not played the game first, they would be a little lost.

Comic: Sentinel - A boy has control of a Sentinel (the giant robots that hunt down mutants in x-men). It was OK. Nothing spectacular. There was a PRODUCT PLACEMENT FOR NIKE6 IN IT! WHAT THE HELL! NO! Don't do that, Marvel. That's fucking tacky. You don't need to do that.

Discuss these or whatever you like, I just thought I'd get things started!
I'm hoping this thread will take off! INTO THE SKIEEZZZ!!!!!!!11oneoneone
Posted Image

#2 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:19 AM

Sandman is essential reading. I'll be picking up Marvel 1602 on Gaiman's name alone.

T-Square_Bulbasaur.jpg

Xbox 360: "Pretty Amy"
3DS: 2449-4624-0476

#3 DaisyBomb

DaisyBomb

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:21 AM

I go to the San Diego Comic-Con every year - it used to be for the
anime and gaming - but I eventually got sucked in to
loving the comics just as much.

I'm a fan of Alan Moore (V for Vendetta specifically), Jhonen Vasquez, Frank Miller, Roman Dirge, etc.
But most of all, I love browsing the independent comic artists.

I still don't know that much, but learn more every year.
No longer a mis(s)anthrope.

#4 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:27 AM

I also like JV. I also like JK...James Kolchalka. Super F*ckers is awesome*

*i used the * in stead of the U because that's how its written on the cover:)
Posted Image

#5 Guest_Bifurcation_*

Guest_Bifurcation_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:44 AM

I was under the impression that comics were lame untill I read Watchmen. Same guy who gave me that also recommended Bones. Both worth the read. I also quite enjoyed Maus.

#6 Guest_kevin_*

Guest_kevin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:33 AM

I was actually just about to sit down to start reading Watchmen when I saw this thread.

I've just got into comics recently after putting them off for many years. Thankfully I have a comic-nerd friend who is willing to hook me up with the essentials. The one that got me started was The Maxx by Sam Keith. I saw the animated version many years ago and the name was always stuck in my head as one of those awesome things from when I was younger. I'm not really big on the stereotypical super hero comic, but The Maxx is kind of the anti-super hero which might be why I like it. For those who don't know The Maxx, my avatar is a cartoon pinup of his head from one of the issues. I also have the cover of issue 4 sitting on my webspace because it's one of my favorite pics of him. If anyone is a fan of Sam Keith, The Maxx, or comics in general I would really recommend giving them a read and then watching the animated series. It's extremely well done and better appreciated if the comics and frame layouts are still fresh in your head.

I finished all of Sandman a couple weeks ago, which was cool. I liked how seemingly independent stories all ended intertwined in the end. I also just read Jonny the Homicidal Maniac, but still have Squee to finish, which I guess will come after I get through Watchmen. After that I'm probably going to take a look at Transmetropolitan. I've also heard that Orson Scott Card is writing Ultimate Iron Man, so I'll have to check that out as well.

If anyone has any recommendations for someone who really dug The Maxx I'd love to hear them. My comic friend says it's pretty one of a kind and didn't have much to suggest, other than more Sam Keith.

#7 buttsauce

buttsauce

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:44 AM

If anyone has any recommendations for someone who really dug The Maxx I'd love to hear them. My comic friend says it's pretty one of a kind and didn't have much to suggest, other than more Sam Keith.

The Maxx is definitely incredible. One of my all-time favorites. I have to say that with comics, it pretty much boils down to this:

For those uninitiated with the glory of the graphic novel/TPB (trade paper back):
Watchmen
The Dark Knight Returns
Maus
Sandman

For those Who enjoyed those and wish to continue:
The Maxx
Grant Morrison's "New X-Men" - E is for Extinction onward
We3

For those who wish to go further:
Frank Miller's Daredevil run
The Ultimates
The Walking Dead
Y the Last Man
Joss Whedon's "Astonishing X-Men" run

I feel all the above are superior, but someone not into comics/don't understand comics as a literary form might not be able to enjoy say Joss Whedon's X-Men as they might Dark Knight Returns without having first read Dark Knight Returns. I've definitely converted a LOT of people into loving comics by handing them my copies of Watchmen and Dark Knight at the same time.
*formerly flashpan*

#8 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,115 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:51 AM

.....Infinite Gauntlet...............
NorrinRadd22 at gmail dot com
https://twitter.com/Norrin_Radd22
http://soundcloud.com/MattCreamer
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#9 Guest_Bifurcation_*

Guest_Bifurcation_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:04 AM

Anybody read Top 10? I love SMAX.

#10 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:32 AM

I'm a big Marvel fanboy, and what's going on now with House of M: Decimation is pretty sweet. Not to mention the New Avengers, Young Avengers, Spider-Man: The Other (big deal, supposedly going to make major changes in Spidey :unsure: ) and all the other greats. Of course the Ultimates line is still running strong and kicking ass. I was a little ticked that the Kuberts went to DC, but Marvel has picked up Michael Turner and god bless the book that gets him.
Infinite Crisis in DC isn't too bad either, but since I'm not big on DC it's not really touching me too much. The All Star line has started out promising, Jim Lee and Frank Miller doing Batman (very good so far), and Superman starting soon.
Spawn has been great lately, and the new Shadowhawk is pretty bitchin'. Been looking into getting in on Invincible but it's hard to find the first issues (think I'll just grab a TPB of the first run and see if it's worth looking into). As good as these Image titles are "The Walking Dead" takes the cake. Probably the most well written comic out in the past few years, and MEGA bonus for zombie fans (seriously, you MUST read if you're into the undead).
The Army of Darkness comics aren't bad, sometimes a little overboard with the straight-from-the-movie jokes sometimes, but still funny stuff. Castlevania was awful, haven't come across a book that poorly done in a while (NO effort whatsoever, a few good looking covers and that was it). I really dig the Metal Gear books, straight out of the game yeah, but there's a lot of embellishment into the storyline, and the art is truly superb.
Available for download now!
Posted Image Posted Image

#11 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:38 AM

I've got a comic reading agenda.

I got to get my hands on the Watchmen and the Lone Wolf and Cub books.

#12 Akumu

Akumu

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,495 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:43 AM

i read ALOT of comics
but favorites are Batman, The Maxx and Spawn

so many others but don't feel like listing them

ZbtmVjy.jpg

#13 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:47 AM

What was that series about zombies called?

Daemon read these I think, they were mentioned in the official zombie thread.

#14 Guest_Klawful_*

Guest_Klawful_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:44 AM

http://www.citypages...article3794.asp

a review of a comic me and a friend did a long time ago

--sort of a shameless plug,

but then it really isn't but i don't think you can get it any more.

#15 Guest_Klawful_*

Guest_Klawful_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:48 AM

and this is another not really shameless plug, because this a page from a comic we have on the back burner now and will probably never finish.

I should say I will never finish. He writes hilarious stories and then i screw them up by being lazy and never finishing drawing them.

Attached Thumbnails

• zombie3unfinished_3.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users