49 replies to this topic

#1 Zoast

Zoast

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:31 PM

casiopea has quickly become one of my favorite bands. they're a jazz(-funk) fusion band from Tokyo that started recording albums in '79.

here are my favorite songs so far in rough order, so if you haven't heard this stuff simply give the first few a listen if you find the list daunting. I didn't like every version I found on youtube, and there were other songs I couldn't find at all... so I uploaded and filled in some cracks!

Black Joke (self titled/studio '79) this is the song that hooked me in more than any!
Swallow (self titled/studio '79)
Midnight Rendezvous ('82 live/song from self titled) this has to be the version that appeared on mint james (absolutely fantastic live album)
Eyes of the Mind (Eyes of the mind/studio '81) also: live version that appears to be from the mint jams concert!!! and live version from 83 that has absolutely priceless interaction between the band and the crowd : )
Time Limit (self titled/studio '79)
Galactic Funk (cross point/studio '81)
Down Upbeat (music video!! from down upbeat '84)
Far Away (self titled/studio '79)
Tears of the Star (mint jams version, originally from self titled)
Domino Line (live from mint jams concert '82)
Ayasake (live from mint jams concert '82)
Take Me (superflight/studio '79)
Sailing Alone (superflight/studio '79)
Make Up City (make up city/studio '80)
Lakai (eyes of the mind/studio '81)
Dream Hill (self titled/studio '79)
Gypsy Wind (live with tsquare? originally from make up city)
Swear (live in '86, originally from cross point)
Magic Ray (eyes of the mind/studio '81)

that's not every good song I've heard, but I'm sure that's plenty. If you want more, there's a discography torrent on demonoid. I think it may be missing the down upbeat album, but that album is on isohunt, along with a nice flac version of mint jams.

If you are very knowledgeable about casiopeas body of work please recommend albums and songs from the mid-80's and on! I still haven't explored the whole discography (it doesn't help that there appears to be a decline from early to mid 80s)

I was originally thinking about posting my love in the tsquare thread. Then there was that ymo/tsquare poll and I wanted a casiopea option! Admittedly though, I haven't explored more than about 2 albums worth of material from either of those two. I will however (especially w/ tsquare).
.\|/.

#2 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,955 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

Coolness to the max! Makes a lot of Arcade and 16-bit video game music make more sense, too.

#3 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

Judge Dredd, Motherfucker

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,245 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:12 PM

hell yeah, casiopea gets some love too. i admit im just gettin into em now, so this thread especially with all these links helps a lot, thanks man!

huh1.gif

#4 Zoast

Zoast

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

yeah man!

also, perhaps it somewhat explains a fondness for basslines in vgmusic that pop inbetween octaves (lower upper lower upper etc)?

one thing I forgot to say - I would like to thank ashane and ranger for getting me into this band

edit: totally welcome shawn, glad to spread the love and happy to see anyone receive it : )
.\|/.

#5 Josiah Tobin

Josiah Tobin

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

yeah man!

also, perhaps it somewhat explains a fondness for basslines in vgmusic that pop inbetween octaves (lower upper lower upper etc)?

I can't help doing this whenever I pick up a bass guitar. I just sounds so fucking cool. Must've been the VG music; I never made the connection aside from the ridiculous bassline in the FFIV battle theme-- I think that bassline constructed my entire perception of how a bass guitar riff should be written.

Just heading out now, will listen to the links when I get back!

~Josiah

#6 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,595 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

i remember checking these guys out after somebody (Ranger or Raub?) posted some youtube videos here, and i was really floored. when i listen to Space Road i can't help but think of Space Harrier and Mario Kart, and i know i'm not the only one

about 2 years ago i was super stoked to find Eyes of the Mind on vinyl at a local record store. it's a personal treasure of mine, and it's probably my favorite album (admittedly because i simply listen to it the most)

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#7 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

nice, matt! eyes of the mind is definitely one of their best albums. there's a ton of casiopea freshness to go around. they also have some of the best stage presence i've seen in a band ever!

#8 Magicalyardgnome

Magicalyardgnome

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,416 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

Fruit Salad Sunday

This one sounds so familiar. Is it a cover? I'm pretty sure I've heard that melody before.
Posted Image

#9 Zoast

Zoast

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

On their website ( http://www.casiopea.co.jp/bio_cd.html ) it's credited to akira jimbo, the drummer. So it doesn't appear to be a cover.
.\|/.

#10 Magicalyardgnome

Magicalyardgnome

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,416 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

I'm wondering if the Weather Channel might have used it as local forecast music at some point. It sounds SO familiar.
Posted Image

#11 chronolever

chronolever

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:57 PM

Yeah! Glad Casiopea has its own thread now because they deserve it. They are part of my "holy trinity" of Japanese music of YMO, T-Square and Casiopea.

I wish I could play guitar like Issei Noro or be as happy as their keyboard player. Much love to Casiopea!

Get DO.DAT YASELF an EP with songs made entirely in Warioware: D.I.Y.!

#12 cacomistle

cacomistle

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,039 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:34 PM

asayake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 chronolever

chronolever

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:52 PM

asayake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWWWWW YEAAAAAAAHHH!!!!

Get DO.DAT YASELF an EP with songs made entirely in Warioware: D.I.Y.!

#14 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,679 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:43 AM

The first few second of Black Joke made me firm. I'm going to have to listen to all of this when I've more time.

eKawlATs.jpg

#15 Djinnocide

Djinnocide

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,193 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:33 AM

The first few second of Black Joke made me firm. I'm going to have to listen to all of this when I've more time.

This.

Man, these guys are good as hell.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users