Photo

Final Fantasy VI: Is the Best Game Ever (ROM Edit)

167 replies to this topic

#1 Keemt

Keemt

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

Hi all, I finished my version of FF6, and have named it "FF6: Is the Best Game Ever" (no offense CT fans!)

Download here:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/707/

Note that like every other ROM edit, you have to patch it onto your FF3US v1.1 ROM using an IPS patcher tool such as Snestl12 or IPS Patcher.

Preview Images:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Readme Excerpt:

Features
================
The game is no longer basically over when you reach the WoR. While no story events have changed, you will need to use the varying areas of difficulty in the World of Ruin to level up and get good enough items until you can finally kill the last boss.

New XP curve, HP curve, MP curve.

Everything has been changed to fit new damage curves, but the essence of many things are the same.

Heros have new character stats, items stats, and spell stats such that damage, armor, and HP/MP increase in new ways. It will be very hard to reach max damage or HP or MP or armor, etc.

Every monster tweaked or changed. A vast majority of the monster AI has changed. Monsters are tough now, and should demand attention for victory. No more just holding down a button or casting your best spell. If a monster is human, it might have a little gold or items, but if not, the best you'll get is dried meat.

The only items that have not changed are those that cure attributes. Even then, the prices have changed.

Everything is expensive, and money is hard to get.

Every character has been changed in terms of stats. Relm has X-magic instead of Sketch, and is very feeble. Setzer has Jump instead of Slot, has good defense, can use all armor types, and can use all weapons better than everyone except Gogo (and DragoonBoots are no longer obtained early in the game, as jump is now very powerful). All characters are competitive in terms of usability. SwdTech speeds up the more you have learned it!

Nothing a player does will instantly kill a monster (except 1 Lore), unless it is petrify.

Spells Removed:
Demi, Quartr, Float, Slow, Haste, Flare

Spells Added:
Exalt, Image, Flood, Plague, Exsicc

All Tools have been tweaked, 2 were removed because they did nothing for the game and couldn't be edited (Chainsaw and AirAnchor)

3 Blitzes were changed and 2 are tweaked. BumRush is no longer super powerful because you learn it so early in the WoR.

2 SwdTechs have changed, 3 were tweaked.

Much of the lores have been tweaked or changed. Almost every lore is unreflectable/unrunicable. Many have new graphics. There is still one Lore spot being unused for now.

All of the dance spells have been altered, many of them changed completely, and a good portion of them have new graphics. All dance moves are unreflectable/unrunicable. Mog is very useful midgame, and has good enough stats to make him competitive endgame, but his Dances will not be useful then. There was no avoiding this because Mog's dances are learned so early.

All of the rages have changed. You will be able to find a superior attack/spell in rages at each level of the game. However, at present there is a chunk of the rages mimic their monsters to the point of being a bit boring (no Quasar/Goner rages). For the most part, rages don't have skills that come from Dance or Lore.

The colloseum has also changed. Every item wins another item (No Chupon-Elixirs anymore). By betting an item, you will usually be able to win a better item. The top tier items will only be able to be won by betting another top tier item, but every item should be winnable.

These relics have been removed: Exp. Egg, sprint shoes, true knight, goggles, runningshoes, fake mustache, gale hairpin, mithril glove, moogle charm, charm bangle, so don't go looking for them! Most relics have changed, of course.

If you need more info than you could possible want for this version, I have the excel sheet used to create this game, as well as a supplementary documents for easier reading attached.
"Slavery by choice is the easiest to impose."
Posted Image
Too be good is to be free, not of talent or wealth or want, which cannot be promised or accurately proscribed, but of personal choice, which unfortunately is promised even less.

#2 Paragon

Paragon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

This sounds really interesting, I'll have to download it and save it for the next time I'm in an old-school JRPG feel.

For what it's worth, though, I think Drill should have been edited enough to make it exclusive enough from Chainsaw that they were both included. Actually I think even in their basic form they were fine, Chainsaw adds a gamble element (maybe an insta-kill vs. some monsters or maybe no effect) and Drill is a constant physical damage tool.

A lot of these ideas sound very cool. I especially appreciate that SwdTech speeds up as you learn more, to make the later ones useful. And I can see why Bum Rush wouldn't be a stupidly powerful Blitz, although I kind of like having a game-breaking technique or two like that. Anyway, I look forward to when I play this.

#3 Keemt

Keemt

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

I would loved to have been able to edit the tools, but could barely edit some of them. Chainsaw and Drill are definitely too similar and having both was just pointless, especially because there's no reason you should just be able to kill a monster in one hit, unless it's 15 levels below you.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Too be good is to be free, not of talent or wealth or want, which cannot be promised or accurately proscribed, but of personal choice, which unfortunately is promised even less.

#4 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

Awesome!!

#5 GENTLYPORKING

GENTLYPORKING

Out for Revengeance

• Members
  • 13,080 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

Looking forward to playing this!

these hilary clinton-looking women must be pressing their buttholes right up against the sides of the stall and letting it rip.

icing bag style.

#6 Leonidus

Leonidus

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

Play tested this for keemt through the world of balance so far and it is awesome as hell.
Pimps don't commit suicide

#7 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:13 PM

I sent this along to a friend who is way more likely to play it than me. On the other hand, I do love reading about it, so feel free to post more details and/or screenshots of your work.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#8 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,218 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

I just replayed FF3 for through first time in 15 years. I was very disappointed by how easy the world of ruin was and how easy it was to break. Will definitely check this sometime.

Incredible :)

#9 EBattousai

EBattousai

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:51 PM

Everything about this sounds really awesome. Except for the bit about Setzer. Cause fuck that guy, am I right?

No, but seriously. Setzer, psh.

On a more serious note, the premise is excellent and I will czech this out.

#10 Keemt

Keemt

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:35 AM

MooniniteG:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Who, Setzer? Fuck that guy.
Posted Image

#11 ShaneBarnes1982

ShaneBarnes1982

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:53 AM

Very cool... this will be my version of choice when I replay this game.

#12 Kirby Pufocia

Kirby Pufocia

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

wrong, setzer owns

interested in seeing the new rage lists, though, gau is OP as shit throughout the WoB in the original game

#13 mills

mills

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,649 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

Setzer was one of my favorite characters, very powerful.

I will play this soon!

#14 Keemt

Keemt

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

I posted a new link that will contain the newest updates (it's been updated since the first posting). WoB is unlikely to change much, ever, so everyone should be in the clear.
Posted Image

#15 EBattousai

EBattousai

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:26 AM

Gau and Mog and Edgar were my favorite characters. I never did care much for the stray cat mashing.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users