57 replies to this topic

#1 SnappleMan

SnappleMan

Shizz Master Zero

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:54 AM

PUNCHFEST 15 is scheduled for SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 11th ( :( ) AT 3PM EST(noon PST)!

We're heading off to the COLD HARSH TERRAIN OF THE RUSSIAN WILDERNESS!

This weeks theme is....

The Rip-offs

The music from the games that are obvious copies of some classic title (THAT MEANS ANY SONG FROM ONE OF THOSE GAMES). This doesn't include genre similarities, meaning Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy don't fall into this theme. They might both be RPGs but one doesn't really rip off the other. Something like Kryon Conquest that blatantly ripped off Mega Man, does count. Streifig and I will come up with a list of games that should be pretty useful. If anyone has games to list here, please do.

This weeks (really awesome and original) theme chosen by STREIFIG!

Here are some games to consider (in bold is the game that they're roughly copying):

Mega Man
Darkwing Duck
Bucky O'Hare
Kryon Conquest
Power Blade
Power Blade 2
Whomp 'Em
Journey To Silius
Shatterhand

Metroid
Rygar
Castlevania: X of Y (okay okay)

Zelda

Star Tropics
Okami
Darksiders
TMNT (for the NES, looks a lot like Zelda 2)
Zeliard
Neutopia

Ninja Gaiden
Vice: Project Doom

Contra
Alien Soldier
Gunstar Heroes

Knight Lore
Solstice
Equinox
Fairlight: a Prelude

Zelda 2
Battle of Olympus

Breakout
Arkanoid

Ys
Lagoon

Outrun
Rad Racer

I know these titles will spark debates and whatnot, but those debates are for another time. We can add games, and take away games that are really out there. Let's build on it and if you have a question just ask me and I'll tell you if the game is fair or not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW TO PUNCHFEST!? Basically it's a video game remix/arrangement/cover/yourmom contest that's held on the date above and follows the rules below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To participate, install an IRC client (mIRC works well) and come into #punchfest on irc.esper.net!

IF WE'RE GONNA PLAY THIS GAME, WE NEED SOME
RULES

- The time between now and PUNCHFEST is just so you can find a song you like. DO NOT START WORKING ON IT UNTIL THE PUNCHFEST BEGINS!
- You will have 6 hours to complete your song once we start. Do whatever you want once the thing starts, but when the 6 hour time limit is up you must have submitted something.
- You can use anything you want musically. Live instruments, just MIDI, trackers. Just make sure you submit an MP3 file of whatever it is you did.
- No minimum song length requirement.
- Submission is not anonymous!

VOTING
- Fuck voting. We all win for entering and having a blast as friends. <3 But each week we do decide on a winner based on whoever rocked the freshest.

{:-> BONUS <-:}
You get 5 extra points today if you speak Russian! Or if you have Russian candy!
Posted Image
nfsw

You sir, are a sociopath who gets off of insulting other people. People such as you, regardless of talent or merrit are a blight upon this world and aren't worth a single milligram of oxygen. Do the world a favor and go hang yourself you miserable, insecure, magalomaniacal bottom feeder.

#2 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:15 AM

Fuck YES, the one day I don't work this week!!! :D I'll try to crack down on my production/volume issues before Sunday so that I don't sound like shit this time.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#3 auriplane

auriplane

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:20 AM

Yay!! I always wanted to do a song from TO BE ANNOUNCED!

#4 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:17 AM

That sounds intriguing.
And i don't think i need to do anything on Sunday.
So, it might work.

We will see.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://tibone.bandcamp.com

#5 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:20 AM

I hope for a ton of Kryon Conquest Bucky O'Hare covers from you guys.

You get 5 extra points today if you speak Russian! Or if you have Russian candy!

Going to go to Brighton Beach for your 5 extra points? ;)
marshallart.bandcamp.com
chiptune/post-rock, orange guitar, Russian-Canadian

soundcloud.com/lovebotsmsk
indie pop, orange guitar, Russian

#6 SnappleMan

SnappleMan

Shizz Master Zero

• Banned
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:28 AM

I hope for a ton of Kryon Conquest Bucky O'Hare covers from you guys.

Going to go to Brighton Beach for your 5 extra points? ;)

My friend, there are two Russian stores within a block from my house. I will get those points.
Posted Image
nfsw

You sir, are a sociopath who gets off of insulting other people. People such as you, regardless of talent or merrit are a blight upon this world and aren't worth a single milligram of oxygen. Do the world a favor and go hang yourself you miserable, insecure, magalomaniacal bottom feeder.

#7 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,768 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:09 AM

Shit yes. I should be totally free Sunday.

BRAINMEAT (and POWER METAL CHIPS) - My original metal and chiptune albums on Bandcamp (all free/name your price)
SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#8 SnappleMan

SnappleMan

Shizz Master Zero

• Banned
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:16 AM

Shit yes. I should be totally free Sunday.

Then I should be totally HARD Sunday.
Posted Image
nfsw

#9 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:12 AM

haha, nice. I will see if I can get in on this. RareWare should provide a goldmine for this theme: great music and plenty of rip off games to choose from!

#10 LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

HELL FUCKING YES I AM IN!!! I already know exactly what song I want to do as well! :D

tumblr_n074bwaG7G1soiz10o1_500.gif

#11 Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,993 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

Oh man I want to do this but will be busy Sunday :( Do old school racing games count as ripoffs? Especially the top-down ones. If so there are sooo many I can think of...

#12 jvincion

jvincion

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,680 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

Aw man, I've been waiting for the next Punchfest, but Sunday's no good as it's my dad's birthday and I will spending most of the day with him. Perhaps next time!

kodiak-shizz-sig.jpg

Home | Bandcamp | Spotify | Instagram | SoundCloud | Concatenation Records (Shizzie Music!)

#13 XMark

XMark

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,201 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

What about games like Doom where the soundtrack rips off well-known heavy metal bands?

EDIT: ohhhhhh GAME ripoffs, not soundtrack rip-offs. I see.

#14 FoxxDragon

FoxxDragon

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

This theme is fucking great. Nice choice, streifig!

CDSig.jpg

LOL I am so busy I can't even update my Signature of Things I did. SAAAAAAAAAAAD.
CD Art, Banners, Logos, Graphics, Illustrations, and so on. Want something? hit me up.
Website!:LightningArts.com
My Day Job is a 3d animator for videogames mostly: 3d Animation Demo Reel

See New art before it's released!: Right here

#15 SnappleMan

SnappleMan

Shizz Master Zero

• Banned
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

This is gonna be a great punchfest... I CAN SMELL IT!
Posted Image
nfsw

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users