Nil_Failstorm's Content

There have been 35 items by Nil_Failstorm (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#572503 Does Theshizz.org Have An Address?

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 22 January 2008 - 10:00 PM in The Shizz General Forum

I was thinking about sending some stuff along. No mailing lists. :lol:

#572502 Heath Ledger Found Dead.

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 22 January 2008 - 09:58 PM in The Shizz General Forum

That sucks.

I actually liked A Knight's Tale.

And the new Batman movies just gonna be weird to watch now.

No weirder than watching The Crow was.

#565478 Mingdragon Gallery

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 01 January 2008 - 11:12 AM in Shows and Stuff

i saw mingdragon gallery last year at modified. they sucked

Perhaps the forming of a shizz supergroup.

The azpunks did that recently and it went over great. A bunch of members from various punk bands got together to form new bands for one evening to have a battle of the bands.

#565476 Mingdragon Gallery

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 01 January 2008 - 11:09 AM in Shows and Stuff

Or if they were at least located in PHX

#564791 2/23 At The Haunted Castle

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 29 December 2007 - 12:38 PM in Shows and Stuff

Cool. I haven't seen The Necronauts in ages.

Seriously, when I hear yacht rock I think about all those cheesy 80's films like "One Crazy Summer." But the ironic thing is I saw that on a flyer somewhere recently. Is that DJ MIG-50's own invention, or am I missing the boat, er, joke?

#564787 Grand Buffet

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 29 December 2007 - 12:33 PM in Shows and Stuff

Darn! I thought this was gonna be a fundraiser with food for one of the art spaces on Grand Ave! :blink:

#564070 Return Of The Relics! This Friday (12/28)

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 27 December 2007 - 10:21 AM in Shows and Stuff

The Relics (original set)
The Cliche IDs
The Relics (covers set)

The Haunted Castle
6463 S Rural Rd
Tempe AZ 85283
SE corner of Rural & Guadalupe behind the Circle K

Posted Image

#562842 Ivan Drago! Justice Enforcer (flash Game)

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 22 December 2007 - 01:50 PM in The Shizz General Forum

http://www.newground...tal/view/355796

#562357 Wii Dog Rape

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 20 December 2007 - 05:21 PM in The Shizz General Forum

http://vids.myspace....eoid=2076857376

#562036 Calibi Yau Feb 20th, Anybody Wanna Play A Show With Them?

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 19 December 2007 - 03:41 PM in Shows and Stuff

Here's their myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/calabiyau

They're coming through on Wednesday, February 20th. I need some locals to fill out the show for the evening.

And Quezo, there are no "fees." hehe

Their list of who they've played with:
Lightning Bolt, Get Hustle, Ocrillim and Orthrelm, An Albatross, USAISAMONSTER, Xiu Xiu, Dead Science, Nautical Almanac, Melt Banana, Chinese Stars, Make Believe, Ecstatic Sunshine, Kites, Warmer Milks, Vaz, Q and not U, Dan Deacon, El Guapo, Wizzards, Mouser, Tarantula A.D., Auk Theatre, Old Time Relijun, Zdrastvootie, Japanther, Experimental Dental School, Impractical Cockpit, Raccoo-oo-oon, Yukon, Capillary Action, Animal, Archaeopteryx, Zs, Dysrhythmia, Michael Columbia, EX Pets, Fat Day, Des_Ark, Big Bear, Stay Fucked, Yamol Yuk, God's America, Dove, In the Year of the Pig, Mudboy, Boa Narrow, Fatal Flying Guillotines, Mass Movement of the Moth, Black Castle, Bug Sized Mind, Cinemechanica, Cantwell Gomez and Jordan, Radio ShOck, Blame Game, Ahleuchatistas, Puke Attack, New Flesh, Dig Shovel Dig, Hide and Seek, Bellafea, Rye Coalition, Department of Homeland Security, Sibling Project, Kakistocracy, Brickmason, Thank God, Orgone Accumulator, Missing Children, Daughters, Hex Machine, more more more...

#562034 Throwing Together Some Last Minute Shows

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 19 December 2007 - 03:29 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Since they're shows that I'm trying to put together there are no fees at all for the bands.

There are going to be fees?

Since when is this L.A.? It's Guadalupe and Rural fer chrissakes!

I know, I know. Back off on Nil.

But jeez, next we'll have to sell 75 pre-paid tickets to even get a show there again.

Oh wait..... I get it. It's the Haunted Castle and he's trying to scare us.

Good one!

Oh man, I'd completely even forgotten about when some of the venues pulled that crap with the pre-paid tickets. What a freakin' nightmare that was for the bands who I knew that got suckered into that scam.

Now if a band wants to print up tickets themselves and pre-sell them, that's fine. Like I said, all the door money goes to the bands anyway. I just need to know beforehand what I'm looking for so I don't have people writing, "ONE FREE ADMISSION" on a post-it note.

You could give the tickets all away for free if you wanted. Or try that as an incentive to get random strangers out to a show; might be more effective than just handing them a flyer. I had one band that had been playing a lot of shows in a short amount of time, so when they jumped onto my show last minute they just gave the tickets out to their fans for free as a way of saying thanks for supporting us.

#562032 Throwing Together Some Last Minute Shows

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 19 December 2007 - 03:18 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Damn, lightning fast attacks.

Wasn't Franco's phrase they quoted him in New Times, "Bite the biggie one."

Maybe "fees" is the wrong word.

Industry standard that I've always partaken in is that the bands normally cover the expense for their share of the security and the sound guy costs.

Venues like The Sets have a "making bar" requirement. The Sets' is $2500. If they don't make $2500 at the bar they take out the difference from the bands' door charge. So say if they only make $2000 at the bar, they will take $500 out of the door money before paying the bands. That's why every show at The Sets is $10-15 for local bands, it's the only way the bands have a chance of breaking even.

Others have "room fees" which, depending on the place, can be charged in addition to the above costs while others include security and/or sound costs in their room fee. Modified has their flat "room fee" which I believe covers everything. But since I serve alcohol I've got all the extra rules dealing with security.

And places like the Big Fish would charge an underage fee. Since the underage kids can't drink, and they never try to sell them soda or water, venues will tack on an extra charge PER PERSON for every underager coming in. Big Fish used to charge an extra $3 per underager. That's why you'd see flyers that said $7 for 21+ and $10 for underage. I'd put on shows at venues like that where the bands would keep it at a single price, and just take the hit out of their door money so that the underagers wouldn't get charged.

I will never have a "making bar" fee.
I will never have a room fee.
I will never have an underage fee.

Down the line I'll end up charging for the cost of sound and security, but this usually isn't more than $40 for a band, depending on the size of the show. It just starts getting expensive when you've got 4-5 security guys and a sound guy to work the shows. And once bands have established themselves as being able to draw decent crowds, I won't even charge for that. I've got friends in bands who I'll never charge anything to come out and play because I know they usually bring in a good crowd and they are always promoting their asses off and giving their all to each show they play.

The bands get to keep 100% of the door. So down the line, if a band brings in 100 people, they just made $500 on a show with a $5 door cover, minus $40 or so for a sound guy and security. Last I heard, Modified's flat room fee is still around $160-180. So if you have a show with 4 bands, that's a breakdown of $40-45 per band.

And *NO* I don't wear clogs. hehe

#561528 Throwing Together Some Last Minute Shows

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 18 December 2007 - 12:36 AM in The Shizz General Forum

Now that we've finally got our PA, I'm trying to set up a few shows before the end of the year for this Friday 12/21, Saturday 12/22, and New Year's Eve.

Right now I've only got Cutthroat Freakshow and John Denver's Last Flight for Friday 12/21. The other two nights are vacant so far.

Standard $5 cover. Bands keep 100% of the door. Since they're shows that I'm trying to put together there are no fees at all for the bands.

So I wanted to see if any of you might be interested in jumping on to one of the shows. Let me know if you are.

Thanks,
NIL

#561125 We've Finally Got Our Pa

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 16 December 2007 - 11:18 AM in The Shizz General Forum

We got the starter PA put in last night. Two speakers, two mics, and a 5 channel amp. It's not much, but it works for the space we have; and I'll be upgrading it as time goes on.

If you want to set up a show, just let me know. Currently booked shows are listed on the myspace page linked through the signature below.

The Haunted Castle
6463 S Rural Rd
Tempe AZ 85283

#560951 Something New For Tempe Town Lake, Used Sewer Water

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 15 December 2007 - 07:35 AM in The Shizz General Forum

Unless it's coming from an actual well source, most urban tap water is reclaimed sewer water.

#560950 Hawthorne Heights re-invents street team tactics

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 15 December 2007 - 07:33 AM in The Shizz General Forum

I would like to think we're a more compassionate community than some of the snarky comments displayed in this thread might otherwise indicate.

Nope.

By the way, how's the compassion out there in L.A.?

#560362 Pacman Christmas Tree

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 13 December 2007 - 10:28 AM in The Shizz General Forum

http://vids.myspace....ideoID=23524081

#558687 Weird Phoenix

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 07 December 2007 - 08:36 PM in The Shizz General Forum

there's this place i partied at in high school. we called it the hippie mansion.
it had rooms all painted different colors and themes and a garden in the backyard made of pine trees. a huge forest surrounded it. it was on broadway on the south side of the road somewhere between 16th and 24th st.
it was a magical place. an especially interesting place to drop acid...

I think that was the old girls school that has now been turned into an Albertson's. Part of the original school was incorporated into the new building. My friends used to always sneak in there and make cheesy horror films.

#558267 Hawthorne Heights re-invents street team tactics

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 06 December 2007 - 05:21 PM in The Shizz General Forum

what does that mean? :unsure:

I'll tell ya what it means, Karma's a motherfucker.
JRC--TTS

Too bad it's not more balanced karma. Then all of the Victory Records bands would have dead guitarists!
Or better yet, CEOs. Is Ne-Yo a CEO? He still sounds like a Japanese cartoon character.
hehe

#558263 Weird Phoenix

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 06 December 2007 - 05:14 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Isn't it Frank Lloyd Wright's house that is open to the public? Not as much weird but old 50's badass architecture.

And along the 7th st mountains I believe was the guy with a front yard full of junk/lawn ornaments that you could tour through.

#557650 Free Pool Sun + Mon Nights

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 05 December 2007 - 08:29 AM in The Shizz General Forum

Hey Nil,

I noticed your sig mentions smoking at the Haunted Castle. Do you have patios?

I ask this basically because I chain smoke when I drink, and being able to do both at the same time is kind of a big deal for some dudes like me.

Thanks in advance!

Yes! We've got a huge drinking/smoking/eating patio!

#557328 Is Trying To Find A Band To Play In Via Craigslist Hopeless?

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 04 December 2007 - 02:29 PM in The Shizz General Forum

I thought you used Craigslist only if you were selling your band or looking to buy a new one. hehe

#557174 Free Pool Sun + Mon Nights

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 04 December 2007 - 06:53 AM in The Shizz General Forum

Not that billiards aren't great, but every time I see this topic I think, "Free pool? Sun? In November?"

Actually, my daughter did jump in the pool at the beginning of November.
I wouldn't have done it, but she did.

#556390 Free Pool Sun + Mon Nights

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 01 December 2007 - 06:30 AM in The Shizz General Forum

Those nights are dead and I'm only promoting online at a couple sites. So the regulars won't be hogging the tables.

The Haunted Castle
6463 S Rural Rd
Tempe AZ 85283

#550797 New Venue (no Pa Yet, But Liquor And Entertainment Licenses)

Posted by Nil_Failstorm on 13 November 2007 - 01:39 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Actually, Dr. Drunkenstein is the name of some European band; here come the copyright infringement lawsuits! hehe

I explained to the city council just like was mentioned above, that the name Drunkenstein's would not be used, it is not legal because it promotes the overconsumption of alcohol. The general concensus I've received afterwards was that the council thought I was trying to pull a fast one on them.

I've actually just gotten the outside sign on the building changed to "The Haunted Castle." Drunkenstein's would make a cool tshirt, with a picture of Frankenstein's monster holding up a big beer stein, but I would never have named it as such for the very reason that it's already disrupting the progress of my business. There will always be someone to protest Hooters, or Pink Taco, or "loud music" even though I already have the entertainment license.

The Bill Butlers (the "its all just noise to this old farm boy's ears" guy who created this whole mess) of the world don't give a damn about me just trying to make my business at least provide a moderate income for myself. They don't care about me having to struggle to feed my 3 kids. So the last thing they would care about is local entertainers not having a facility to present their art to the world.

I think the immortal Phil Buckman said it best, "There is stuff in this world, some of it is good and some of it is bad."

I'm just trying not to let the bad guys win.