#706 Anonymotron

Anonymotron

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

you two are doing gods work

MrNorbert1994 and Karmic are the ones doing that.  I'm more like the secretary or treasurer of the club.  Kidding aside, as a programmer I had wanted to help out but I couldn't make it through Gil Galad's ripping tutorial, so I'll leave it to the pros.

Thanks for the fixes on Athletic World and Racket Attack.  I'll upload them soon along with some other new NSFe files.

#707 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

While I would say Gil Galad's tutorial is pretty darn good, you really have to dig yourself into fow specific drivers work.

The easy ones are the games that use somesort of mapper, since they either use the $8000-$BFFF region or the hardwired bank for music (this is especially true for some Atlus games), but even then you need sometimes to make a little RAM fetch code.

Nintendo drivers are all just RAM storing, Konami ones are sometimes absurdly werid, TOSE drivers are sometimes store every channel on 1 init, sometimes they call every tune per channel like in Racket Attack, somtimes they need a TAY opcode (Frankeinstein) to work properly.

Some PAL NSFs are still broken due to them storing the PLAY call in an absurd way. Per say for me, I only had luck with some games that had a JSR to the original PLAY.

Then it comes optimazion. That can be a whole new level. Per say, the Hook NSF had a JSR to in the hardwired bank, however I took that code and relocated it under my init table. The NSF got became 13KB than 26KB. Hiroyuki Masuno's driver is a massive spaghetti code: stores the setup code in the hardwired bank $F000-$FFFF and stores the sequence data around $8000-$9FFF.

You have to write code to eliminate all the banks that are for game code setup.

This is an extremly tedious job, but this is how it should have been for the past 20 years. :P

Sure... you can cut out the banks and use the Bankswitch bytes, however there is a little message by Gil Galad: "ONLY USE THE BANKSWITCH BYTES UNLESS IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARRY".

And since apart from games that has several banks of music code, you litearlly never have to enable it (unless typing 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 < ENA BANKS) at all. I even fixed some of Karmic's rips with this, and I think I even squezzed down his NSFs a bit. :P

As for public NSFs, I probably fixed more than 900 of these...

NSF ripping is kinda like debugging: you are the detective and the murdered person at the same time or something.

#708 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:47 PM

I probably fixed more than 900 of these...

That fucking rules. I knew you've done a lot, but had no idea just how many.

#709 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:31 AM

I just reripped and rearranged Matrixz's old NSF rips of Caltron 6(7) In 1.

SFXs had a non looper init core, that's why they jacked up, and added them the square ostinato effect which was missing in most of the tunes. not to mention the missing triangle bass in the PRG only Pokey game.

Total:

8 INIT table and 8 PLAY calculator.

#710 Anonymotron

Anonymotron

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for the updated Caltron 6 in 1!  I've tagged it, and while my latest update is smaller it has more new files that we can check off the list, such as Racket Attack (thanks to MrNorbert1994's fix), Venus Senki: Back to the City 'Io' for Famicom, the homebrew My Little Pony: Dr. Discord's Conquest, and the prototypes of Block Out, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, and U-Force Power Games.  Other NSFs with fixes and/or VFX include Captain Planet and The Planeteers, Dirty Harry, High Speed, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and World Champ.

I have four NSF requests: as far as I understand Legends of the Diamond: The Baseball Championship Game, The Mutant Virus: Crisis in a Computer World, and Ultimate League Soccer are still missing songs and Major League Baseball has yet to be ripped.

#711 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

If you look the arcihive deeper, you are going to find a semi-working rip for Major League Baseball. I ripped that almost 2 years ago, however some sings still won't initalize in that, no matter what I did.

Seriously... setup wise it is the same as other Atlus drivers, so I'm not sure why those few songs won't init.

Same with Legend Of Diamond. The subsongs which are kinda like SFXs, I bet they on the same init route, since they use the same bank for music, but again, no matter what pointer, jumper I placed into those it simply refused to work. :/

#712 Anonymotron

Anonymotron

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:17 PM

I do remember seeing those in the archive.  It's too bad they're so difficult to rip but I definitely appreciate your attempts.  Two more titles come to mind: Is it possible to rip Mission Cobra or Trolls on Treasure Island.  Also, Rally Bike is missing some of the BGM.

#713 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:48 AM

Just by curiosity: does Mission Cobra has any music at all?

#714 Anonymotron

Anonymotron

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

Apart from a one-second "Bonus Point" jingle I guess not.  But Miracle Piano Teaching System has a small rip, so I figured Mission Cobra would be similarly easy.

#715 TheWiiGuy

TheWiiGuy

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:23 AM

Great job you guys! You've been doing wonderful keeping up with all this, I feel so out of it because of work and personal stuff keeping me busy, and streaming among other things. But I did check all of Lance's NSFe's from the past few months, been awhile I know but the nearly 150 files were quite the checkings: https://www.dropbox....O3Gp9pg_ea?dl=0

And of course the general NSFe Collection folder is here for those that need to browse through it or update it: https://www.dropbox....DjaBUZ08ma?dl=0

#716 Anonymotron

Anonymotron

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

Welcome back!  Thanks for the update.

#717 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:44 AM

WTF. :|

I just downloaded that NSFE pack, to see the tagging and ripper credits and I just discovered something amazing!

Apparently, my Untouchables rerip sounds completely different in NotSoFatso, because it emulates the triangle linear counter badly, however...

That supposed bad emulation makes the triangle something completely different, which sounds far better what was in the game itself.

#718 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:47 AM

WiiGuy's a shizzie!??

giphy.gif

iu_10481_5243319.jpg?raw=1

#719 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:42 AM

Here is Untouchables you most likely never heard before.

#720 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

Also, Stunt Kid was just properly reripped.

Bizarrly enough, this is the only NES game I have seen so far to use the DPCM and the RAW PCM at the same time.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users