122 replies to this topic

#16 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

Unfortunately no amount of scientific data will change your mind about anything since you already hold a self professed paranoid world view. The few instances of vaccinations failing either due to human error or allergic reaction is not going to dissuade me from not taking vaccinations and from me not giving vaccinations to any future children of mine. Those are general anomalies in the grand scheme of the vaccinations working perfectly. I guess we shouldn't trust peanuts because of the allergic reactions that so many people have to them.

The eugenics movement was pretty terrible. I know that the government has done pretty terrible things (Tuskegee and Guatemala syphilis experiments, anyone?) but when it comes to issues that are scientifically based, I'd keep a skeptical mind on some of the more scaremongering going on especially since if there is something genuinely wrong with something, science will sort it out through peer reviews, experimentation and new results to come out of it.

I also think you should read the articles more closely...

Measles Outbreak among Vaccinated High School Students -- Illinois

The infrequent occurrence of measles among highly vaccinated persons suggests that this outbreak may have resulted from chance clustering of otherwise randomly distributed vaccine failures in the community.

Alberta mumps clinics halted after allergic reactions

After receiving their mumps shots, five young adults were reported to have suffered anaphylaxis, a rapid swelling of the throat and airway which can lead to respiratory failure or brain damage. But they were treated immediately and have since recovered, health officials said Tuesday. ...All the patients had a history of allergic reactions....

Child whooping cough booster may falter

Health officials say the vaccine is effective in most people, and yet there are periodic outbreaks in places with high vaccination rates.

The new study found that younger kids who got the fifth dose less than three years before being tested were much less likely to get whooping cough than slightly older kids who were more than three years past their last vaccination.

The nation switched over to a new type of childhood whooping cough vaccine in the late 1990s, one deemed safer than the version used for decades before.

But the long-term effectiveness of that booster also is not known and has received relatively little study.

That last one shows that there is not always a 100% effective rate of vaccinations but the success rate of vaccinations far outweigh the chance of going without vaccinations. Seriously, do you want to risk to get seriously ill, possibly death which could have been prevented, just because of some scare tactics that have weak and possibly twisted evidence?

How proven is that Fungal Pharmacy book? Has there been conclusive scientific research to show that all of these fungi can cure what the author claims? Don't get duped into another money grubbing charlatan either.

#17 Omigadrive

Omigadrive

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

I was gonna weigh in on this.

Then I thought better of it... don't need to be sucked into another thread :D

#18 parrappa

parrappa

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

Page One just got put on Netflix streaming - I enjoyed it quite a lot.

#19 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:22 AM

Walt Disney UFO Documentary: Full Uncut Version

"Rare Disney UFO documentary, this documentary was only broadcast once in five US states, then it was shelved and never broadcast again. This version is the complete uncut feature, recorded to VHS video when it was first broadcast on celestial tv."

I don't even have a comment on this one.

I'm always very skeptical of any claim of UFOs being aliens. There are so many other, more plausible explanations than aliens. Also the likelihood of aliens visiting us are basically none.

I found Freakonomics to be a very fascinating collection of short documentaries, especially the one about the corruption of sumo wrestling. It's amazing at how far the corruption really goes and that they basically sweep it under the rug when it was exposed.

#20 Klatrymadon

Klatrymadon

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,452 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

A few films I've caught recently:

Le Sang des Bêtes (A 1949 French film about the meat industry, here dubbed into English.)
Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Villifies A People (About representations of Arabs and Muslims in dem Murkan blam-blam action films. It's basically a summary of the book, though, so check that out if this piques your interest.)
Slavery: A 21st Century Evil (About bonded brick kiln workers in Pakistan.)

The first is the most cinematic one - it's quite beautifully shot. Definitely worth a watch.
You taught me language, and my profit on't / Is I know how to curse.

#21 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:50 AM

I saw a documentary written and directed by Jamie Johnson, who is the great-grandson of one of the co-founders of Johnson & Johnson, called the One Percent.

It's a pretty interesting look into the super-wealthy families on how they control the majority of the wealth and what they do to keep control as well as to influence policies. I wish it was a bit more in-depth and I hope to see some more of this from him in the future. I would like to see his other documentary, Born Rich, which follows kids like him who were born into wealth.

#22 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

Frontline's Bush's War

I'm currently sucked into watching this.

Also watched one last night called The Philosopher Kings, about janitors at some big universities. Very good profiles of their backgrounds and different perceptions about their jobs.

The Gemini Bells:

http://thegeminibells.bandcamp.com

And other stuff:

http://jamesmileshq.bandcamp.com/

Ruminations and other nonsense:

http://lastdelirium.blogspot.com/

#23 Radioeyes

Radioeyes

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

The Parking Lot Movie - available on Netflix I.Q.,

Utterly brilliant social commentary about perceptions of class division. Makes you really loathe drunk college students. Oh, the guy from Yo La Tengo is in it, too, and the music rocks.

#24 WilliamTheBard

WilliamTheBard

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Utterly brilliant social commentary about perceptions of class division. Makes you really loathe drunk college students. Oh, the guy from Yo La Tengo is in it, too, and the music rocks.

I saw that a couple years ago on PBS but didn't really care for it. I thought the parking lot attendants were more smug than any of the people that parked there. I mean, yeah, some of the folks that were parking there were dicks... a percentage (a large one if you ask me) of all people are dicks, it's not a class thing. The attendants also seemed to make a bigger deal out of the class division than what reality would support, I think. Keep in mind I saw it a few years ago like I said and maybe I don't remember it as well as I thought, those are just my opinions anyway.

Also, drunk college students don't need any additional examples of them being assholes for society to loathe them. It's inherent.

#25 Radioeyes

Radioeyes

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

I saw that a couple years ago on PBS but didn't really care for it. I thought the parking lot attendants were more smug than any of the people that parked there. I mean, yeah, some of the folks that were parking there were dicks... a percentage (a large one if you ask me) of all people are dicks, it's not a class thing. The attendants also seemed to make a bigger deal out of the class division than what reality would support, I think. Keep in mind I saw it a few years ago like I said and maybe I don't remember it as well as I thought, those are just my opinions anyway.

Also, drunk college students don't need any additional examples of them being assholes for society to loathe them. It's inherent.

Yeah, I can see how they can come off that way. I thought the movie was about perceptions of class division, rather than real division. The fact they take whatever shit their customers give them in stride says to me they aren't all that smug; they just put on their philosopher's hats when interviewed. It's not like they go up to an asshole driver and say "I'm getting my doctorate in Eastern European Lit, asswipe!!!" It's about them stomaching abuse and then bitching about it to Mr. Camera.

I'd imagine there are a dozen other ways you could take it, but that's how it came off to me. Now I feel like I should watch it again but trying from your perspective...

#26 mancopter

mancopter

OCEAN MAN

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,266 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

I just watched The People vs George Lucas last week. It's on Netflix streaming.

Overall, a light, fun and interesting dissection of Star Wars fans and the phenomenon as a whole. Goes well with sushi.

#27 WilliamTheBard

WilliamTheBard

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

Just finished "The Long Way 'Round". It was awesome. Ewan Mcgregor might be the coolest bastard ever, and he looks 10 times cooler with a full beard.

If you don't know what it is, LWR is the story of Ewan and his buddy Charlie Boorman (the young Mordred from Excalibur) riding from London to Magadan (on the eastern coast of Russia), flying to Alaska and riding down to NY on their motorcycles. It's an epic journey of nearly 19,000 miles that takes them 115 days to complete. It is a fucking AWESOME adventure and incredibly enjoyable to watch. I seriously recommend it.

#28 Leonidus

Leonidus

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,426 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

Watching documentaries/interviews is something I do on an almost daily basis so I'm tempted to just dump youtube links in here nonstop, but it might get super annoying.

So, with fair warning, if I go through with this just say something and I'll stop.

Cosmos (Carl Sagan) Ep #8 - Travels Through Space and Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZj2yDzXqpA

PBS - The Fabric of the Cosmos - The Illusion of Time
Illusion of Time

PBS - The Elegant Universe
Ep #1
Ep #2
Ep #3

Through the Wormhole - Is Time Travel Possible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdzDS25c1nc

Pimps don't commit suicide

#29 Leonidus

Leonidus

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,426 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

BBC - Richard Feynman No Ordinary Genius (full)

The Boy With the Incredible Brain (full) (Daniel Tammet autism)

#30 Leonidus

Leonidus

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,426 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

Argentina's Financial Collapse - A Warning

Paul Erdos N is a Number

Not a lot of people could ever watch a mathematician documentary, so I should point something out:

Erdos was homeless almost his whole life, used amphetamines almost his whole life, and was the single most productive mathematician in history.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users