147 replies to this topic

#1 WilliamTheBard

WilliamTheBard

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

So yeah, this game is all the rage lately. I guess we can post tips/tricks/support/shame about this game and its never ending lineup of competitors. Level VIII is difficult, etc.

#2 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

I absolutely love this game to no end.  

Good lord, the fucking

ags39kE.jpg

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#3 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

...Yeah, I started playing this game like 3 weeks ago, and I've beaten it every day since then. Can't ever get enough of it it seems. Check out my stream for CV4 runs done nightly.

Are you gonna embark on the quest to complete the Harrison Ford run (Hard mode/unupgraded whip/no candle run) with me, William? :) Streaming a normal mode speedrush tonight, and then a Harrison Ford run right after.

#4 chronolever

chronolever

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Aww hep! Great thread! I'm gonna attempt to beat this game for the first time. Possibly tonight, more likely tomorrow.

Get DO.DAT YASELF an EP with songs made entirely in Warioware: D.I.Y.!

#5 WilliamTheBard

WilliamTheBard

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

...Yeah, I started playing this game like 3 weeks ago, and I've beaten it every day since then. Can't ever get enough of it it seems. Check out my stream for CV4 runs done nightly.

Are you gonna embark on the quest to complete the Harrison Ford run (Hard mode/unupgraded whip/no candle run) with me, William? :) Streaming a normal mode speedrush tonight, and then a Harrison Ford run right after.

I tried this afternoon, but couldn't get past the first level. I'd like to play through the game in one sitting at least once before I attempt that, but can see myself doing it in the future. The leather whip adds an additional hit required to the enemies, does it not? Also, can you get stuff that's hidden is walls as they aren't technically candles? Or does that go against the "spirit" of the run?

#6 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I tried this afternoon, but couldn't get past the first level. I'd like to play through the game in one sitting at least once before I attempt that, but can see myself doing it in the future. The leather whip adds an additional hit required to the enemies, does it not? Also, can you get stuff that's hidden is walls as they aren't technically candles? Or does that go against the "spirit" of the run?

Totally understandable man. I've been putting off the Harrison Ford run for the same reason.

Yeah, leather whip requires an additional hit on most enemies. Some stuff like bats and crows still only take 1 hit.

No wall items allowed either. I think the only thing that's technically legit to pickup are items that drop from enemies, which are only money bags for one vertical section of the Treasury... doesn't really affect the game at all. I'd still want to avoid them though just to keep it a purist run, heh.

Also, you gotta kill yourself if you hit any candles... Adds another element of danger! :)

#7 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

i remember when i was living in Seattle, we had a small WCS gathering for something or other at the mercmatt pad (Eric and moon at least) and we decided to play through Super CV IV. something happened part-way through our run; maybe the SNES got bumped or something, but whatever it was froze our game so we had to reset. i looked up passwords so we could resume the game where we left off. little did i know that the passwords i looked up were for hard mode. i'm pretty sure we made it through to the end, completely unaware that we were now playing on hard, but definitely confused and bewildered at the sudden jump in difficulty

Martha Kent original anti baconator

#8 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

All right, next time I'm gaming I'll go after CV4! If I get stuck I know where to get help!
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

#9 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Is there a hard mode?

Good lord, the fucking

ags39kE.jpg

#10 Magicalyardgnome

Magicalyardgnome

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

^2nd quest

Posted Image

#11 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Ah.  I've actually never done that!  A new challenge!  YESSSSSS!!!

Good lord, the fucking

ags39kE.jpg

#12 Sam

Sam

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Somehow, I only learned about hard mode from The Shizz in the last few days.  Considering that I've been playing this game since probably about the time that it came out, my mind has been blown.

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight

you will die of sodium poisoning before you ever take me with enough grains of salt.

Perhaps the same can be said of all birth control. But enough posting- have at you!

#13 mercatfat

mercatfat

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Somehow, I only learned about hard mode from The Shizz in the last few days.  Considering that I've been playing this game since probably about the time that it came out, my mind has been blown.

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight

CV3 also has one. I just learned this the other day, so the feeling is definitely mutual.

crystals.gif
N64th Street: Every N64 Game, Reviewed Eventually.
Latest Reviews (6/29): Rampage World Tour

#14 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,932 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

It really is one of the best of the best games on this great system, and that's all the more impressive for being an early release. I just ripped the entire soundtrack to mp3, if anybody wants it, and wants to be saved the time of doing it themselves.

Favorite level is probably the treasury or the uh, subterranean level.

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#15 WilliamTheBard

WilliamTheBard

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

Favorite level is probably the treasury

yeah, it won't be after you play through hard mode.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Castlevania, IV, SNES, HARD MODE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users