147 replies to this topic

#136 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

OMG....hanage, the world record holder, has just learned the stage 4 wall glitch!! This has never been done in a speedrun afaik and is only present on the TAS run (because the timing is ludicrous--I've tried!). He says he can do it 50% of the time, which I would kill for.. Damn trick has gotta save like, at least 15 seconds.

He was in my stream for a while last night giving me tips. Finally learned how to whip cancel (press down between whips and you can do them faster), which is pretty much only useful on Sir Grakul, but it'll still save me a few seconds. Also, apparently I showed him a damage boost on the spider in stage 2 from the TAS run that he's never tried, so that should help him shave off a few seconds..

Let me know if anyone has any questions about optimizing their speedrush of this game. I'm learning a lot and am more than happy to explain some of the tricks I do on my runs if there's some technique or timing you're not getting. Did that for quite a while with a regular on my stream last night doing save state practice and he even helped me make a few improvements. Sub 40 is going down!

#137 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

50% death is too high unless you have nothing else you can think of improving and your only hope is to get a perfect run with that glitch included.

Btw, nobody draws the line at such an obvious glitch when recording records? Damage boosts and the like I can understand, but that is a straight up glitch.

#138 mercatfat

mercatfat

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

I've always been under the impression that as far as SDA goes, glitches are par for the course AS LONG AS they're part of the game's final code AND can be done consistently through something other than savestate abuse. 50% is consistent enough to qualify. A million to one chance wouldn't so much.

crystals.gif
N64th Street: Every N64 Game, Reviewed Eventually.
Latest Reviews (6/29): Rampage World Tour

#139 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

50% death is too high unless you have nothing else you can think of improving and your only hope is to get a perfect run with that glitch included.

Yeah, I most likely won't be implementing the stage 4 wall glitch for quite a while, but it's nice to know that it can be done somewhat consistently by a human. I mean, he only just learned how to do it. I'm sure he'll get the timing down better.

Btw, nobody draws the line at such an obvious glitch when recording records? Damage boosts and the like I can understand, but that is a straight up glitch.

Some people do. Those types of runs are called "No OoB" (No Out of Bounds). I know I used to not be a fan of glitches in speedrushes because I like playing games the way the designers had intended, but most glitches take a considerable amount of skill, and if it's in the game as is without being tool assisted I say it's legit. They're also fun and take a huge amount of innovation to discover.

Here's a list of more useful gameplay exploits from TAS.

#140 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I guess if out of bounds tricks were more prevalent in a game it would be worth having a separate record.

It's amazing the TAS record is only 29:38. Only 3 minutes faster than the live record.

#141 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

I guess if out of bounds tricks were more prevalent in a game it would be worth having a separate record.

It's amazing the TAS record is only 29:38. Only 3 minutes faster than the live record.

4 minutes actually. And yeah, there's so much damn RNG in this game that an absolutely perfect run like the TAS run just isn't feasible. hanage thinks 33:33 is the human limit.

#142 Radioeyes

Radioeyes

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

I can't even stand watching speed runs for any Sonic the Hedgehog game because of the ridiculous out of bounds glitching.

I say keep it real, regardless of the skill involved.

#143 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Just pulled off that glitch for the first time! :D Tough stuff (and fun), but I think I'll get it down eventually. Even if you die there, I think it's still worth it to try the glitch again, since 4-4 is a checkpoint. A death and one successful glitch would still probably be not too far behind a legit run through 4-4. Maybe 20 seconds-ish? You can get another cross at the start of Stage 5 anyway.

EDIT: WOW, I just did it three times in a row..

#144 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Good point. And whenever you do nail it you get style points and a morale boost :)

#145 WilliamTheBard

WilliamTheBard

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Well, I'd been playing a bunch of CV IV since I started watching Ashane's stream. I beat it for the first time some weeks ago, then beat it on hard mode too for good measure. My ultimate goal was to get through it in one pass in under an hour. Yesterday afternoon I got up to Dracula in 48 minutes... and choked. I died on him 3 times in a row and threw down my controller in frustration. Then, last night at 7:01 PM I decided to give it another go. It was a hell of a run, no deaths until that MOTHER FUCKING Stage B, where I proceeded to die about 4 times. I thought for sure I'd blown it again, but once I got my shit together I flew through the stage, through the boss gauntlet and beat Drac on the first go. My total time? 50 minutes.

President-George-W.-Bush-Mission-Accompl

(even nailed the victory pose)

victory.jpg

#146 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,932 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Crikey! Now you're faster than me, and perhaps the second fastest Shizzie. Well done!

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#147 travis

travis

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

Yeah, so Jonh Weeks kiiiiiiinda blew my mind with this discovery last night. So much so that I had to immediately sit down and make this comparison video.

The original song is utterly phenomenal, and the kind of classical I've been wanting to hear for a long time. You should listen to it in its entirety sometime -
hhLJkpL.png

#148 TETSUOOOO!!!

TETSUOOOO!!!

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

Very cool discovery! I hope you've been listening to more Ravel; his music is great!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Castlevania, IV, SNES, HARD MODE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users