147 replies to this topic

#31 Kevin Gnartinez

Kevin Gnartinez

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

If you like SCV4 and you haven't been checking out Dan's stream, y'all is missing out. I'll definitely be tuning in tonight.

i make music as wizwars, and also sometimes in the night we met.

co-founder of 8bitLA, putting on nerdy music events since '12

#32 chronolever

chronolever

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Stage 8 blowsssssss. I've been playing it on and off for the last hour. I know I am probably rushing and making stupid errors, but I am so tired of looking at this level, I just want to be done with it.

Get DO.DAT YASELF an EP with songs made entirely in Warioware: D.I.Y.!

#33 Klatrymadon

Klatrymadon

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,452 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Where are you dying?

You taught me language, and my profit on't / Is I know how to curse.

#34 chronolever

chronolever

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I was dying in some of the platforming parts. I got through it though. I'm up to Gaibon now.

#35 radne

radne

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Yeah.  With all the instant death opportunities on stage 8, it's one of those levels that you have to kind of take your time on.  Fairly consistent at it now with the exception of the disappearing platform part at the end. 

Anyway, been playing this for like a week and half after Ashane got me into it with his runs;  roughly a run a day.  First run took like 5 hours and many continues.  The music definitely kept me playing.  My last run was 1:07:01 (my best time and also my second no continue run).  

Not really a speedrusher, but I imagine that I'll hit sub 1 hr at some point.  More-so shooting for a 0 death run.  My closest in that regard was no deaths before Stage A (unfortunately this was before I got the hang of stage A and B, so i failed miserably from that point on).

Anyway, much thanks to Ashane for getting me into this game after not really playing it for like ~18 years

edit:  PB 59:40

"AIGHT , a bbig penis for MoonightGThang aand myoer MIG PICS, l lovooove me some chidlsbreading hips, m m mgood" -- Sherv

Motown Philly's back again

#36 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

I rented this a few times when it was new and after it aged enough to hit the bargain bin, I picked up a copy for 20 bucks.  I recall Slogra being a bit tricky, but other than that I'm pretty sure I could just run straight through it with minimal fuss.  I've never tried hard mode though or a whip only run.  I might have to get in on this!

#37 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,932 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Oh yeah, I set a new PB for a CV4 normal run last night: 54:37. Whittling it down! Watch and see if I can beat that tonight.

DUDE! Just did my first under-one-hour run, and it was 54 MINUTES!!! Man, I feel bad-ass!!! I didn't time it to the second, so it was probably 10-15 seconds slower than yours. This was a one-death run, if I recall correctly. I had a stupid death on the waterfalls, but it was right near the beginning so it barely hurt my time. Also, probably my only one death run. I had trips boomers when I got to death, it was pretty awesome. Slogra was also no problem.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#38 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

I used to seriously not appreciate Super Castlevania 4. It thought it didn't have the same music the rest of the series had, and thought it was too grey and muddled and just wasn't as good as Bloodlines or Rondo.

I was an idiot back in the day.

I really learned to have such a love for this game. The music truly is different from the rest of the series in the fact it's so atmospherically-charged. The level design is gorgeous and creepy, and really is probably one of the most noteworthy for being close to what one would expect in a castle haunted by all manner of undead and hideous creatures, from the wall widows coming out of the walls to murder you to the clattering dismembered skeletons in Stage 8's dungeon. It's the most in-line with what you would expect to see out of a European horror movie.

Not to mention it's goddamn brutal on later levels, as Ashane has shown us.

But yes, so much love for this game and especially it's music. Every single tune has something fantastic about it.

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com  ||  Castellum Sanguis LXVIII: Castlevania X68000 Tribute Album

#39 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

Eric Dude and I should race this again.  That was totally fun.

Good lord, the fucking

ags39kE.jpg

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#40 chronolever

chronolever

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Well I was unable to finish CV 4. I got through to Slogra and then I just kind of bogged down. I'll have to try it next weekend. I am proud of the fact that I got much further into the game than I ever had before.

#41 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,932 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Eric Dude and I should race this again.  That was totally fun.

Let's do it. Tell me what days are good for you. Let's do it before I become a dad.

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#42 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Well, I'm a Mon-Fri 9-5 guy now!  Let's set it up for a weekend later this month or early March, okay?  We should also do our skype cover of War Ensemble ;-)

Good lord, the fucking

ags39kE.jpg

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#43 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,932 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

Well, I'm a Mon-Fri 9-5 guy now!  Let's set it up for a weekend later this month or early March, okay?  We should also do our skype cover of War Ensemble ;-)

Hmmmm. Next weekend is WCS get-together. Dang it!

Did two races with Ashane, Radne, and then Rize. Got sub-1hr both times. That's three of those today. Pretty bad-ass. Ashane won both races by a slim margin, but it was awesome!

#44 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

I took like...2 hours.  Those last levels kicked my ass!

#45 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,932 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

I decided to carry on with my last run, and dig into... HARD MODE!

Did it on the first try without continues. I'm on a roll today.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Castlevania, IV, SNES, HARD MODE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users