Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

Sorry for a slight delay, but here,

Free Month results

#1 Fappleman and Princess of Light - Bucky O'Hare - Bucky O'Hate - good -0.44
#2 VankiP - Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Earthworm Jim 2 - Chemical Tangerines - good -0.46
#3 Affection State - Battletoads and Double Dragon - Crazy Toads - good -0.49
#4 Pumpkin King - Donkey Kong Country 1-3 - Kong Symphony - above average +0.48
#5 Ivan Hakštok - Gunbird 2 - Signs of Lust - above average +0.46
#6 Nestalgica - Punch-Out!! - Green Gloves of Power - above average +0.38
#7 PokérusVGM - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Dungeons to Explore - above average +0.35
#8 GearX2 - Muramasa Demon's Blade - Four Seasons Of Muramasa - above average +0.31
#9 Brandon Strader - Call of Duty: Ghosts - Blackwater Ops - above average +0.22
#10 Hyde209 - Donkey Kong Country 2 - Lockjaw Stock and Barrel - above average +0.1
#11 ErichWK - Gunple: Gunman's Proof - DemiSeed BOSS THEME!! - above average +0.09
#12 Katamari - Baldur's Gate - Heroes and Hamsters - above average +0.01
#13 Munzadeth - Pop'n Music 12 - Magical Voice Shower - above average -0.06
#14 The SamAreAye - Minecraft - Wet Hands and Dry Breath - above average -0.13
#15 Lauren the Flute, John Pike - Bastion - We Can't Go Back No More - above average -0.24
#16 GamBit - Power Blade 2 - Underwater Mercenaries - above average -0.33
#17 DEMON ShineGami - Mitsume ga Tooru - Kiss My Third Eye - above average -0.39
#18 Cyan - Dragon's Fury - You Belong to a Dismal Skeleton - average -0.07
#19 valence - Mega Man 2 - Flash In the Pan Man - average -0.12
Voters: 28

ALT
pingosimon - Wario's Woods - Stage Clear (Instrumental)

Congrats to the DoD noobs Fappleman and Princess of Light and to my russian buds VankiP and Affection State! And thanks to everyone for a very strong month!

Also, Pumpkin King and Ivan Hakštok were robbed.

The tagged songs and updated ZIP are up. The Youtube playlist will be updated soon.

The next month is...

Water Month

14-05-Water.jpg
Banner by FoxxDragon

Water level music from any game is to be covered. The level should be largely water-based, that may include lots of water pits, water that you can swim/walk in, waterfalls. Not just some water in the background. If the game is all made around water (Ecco the Dolphin, Wave Race, etc.), you can cover any level.

Songs are due: May 26th, 3:00 PM EST
Send your entries to dodsongs@gmail.com

marshallart.bandcamp.com
chiptune/post-rock, orange guitar, Russian-Canadian

soundcloud.com/lovebotsmsk
indie pop, orange guitar, Russian

#2 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

Congrats to the top 3! Once again I'm so close xD

#3 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,394 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

Water Month! Man....so many possibilities...

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#4 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,467 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

Great month everyone!

Btw, not sure if it was mentioned, but Kong Symphony said "pumpkin king" in the album artist tag. Just a heads up.

Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#5 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

Great month everyone!

Btw, not sure if it was mentioned, but Kong Symphony said "pumpkin king" in the album artist tag. Just a heads up.

DOH! I was pretty sure I cleaned it up. This is what happens when artists send in last minute updates :) Well, it's a bit too late to DQ that song anyway.

marshallart.bandcamp.com
chiptune/post-rock, orange guitar, Russian-Canadian

soundcloud.com/lovebotsmsk
indie pop, orange guitar, Russian

#6 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,467 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

Also, pingo, why didn't you submit your entry as a main?

Well, it's a bit too late to DQ that song anyway. 

That's why I didn't say anything until now :P I was probably the only one who noticed it (or maybe not) AND I didn't vote so no damage done!
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#7 cetera

cetera

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

calling shenanigans here

the hell gais

the placement of ErichWK's  Gunple cover is CLEAR evidence of butt-metal bias. BMB

i dont know the source, and i ant no ska guy, but it's a way more solid cover than most that go through here. i haven't listened on good speakers. is there some death sound that happens in the extreme freqs or something? bullshit

first of all, funky fm music just really does it for me.  Even if it's something corny like early mariah carey I can get way into the music with the fm bass and keys going on.   Then, there's everything else in this song.  The enigmatic title.  The synth programming brings out all the right emotional responses in me:  leads that remind me of thunderforce (even if the portamento isn't quite as exaggerated), chording synths that remind me of very old and charming genesis osts like super monaco (except somehow they don't sound as flimsy here), and of course a solid bass.  Great original motifs, interesting harmonies, good melody, rhythm.. everything that can make a song great is here!

My Music Here.  My Drug Blog vagmusic  NES-VHS                GkgBElO.png

#8 Pumpkin King

Pumpkin King

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

About Kong Symphony (also on the DoD forum...)

- I started with Cascade Capers (DKC 3). 
- There is an Aquatic Ambience nugget with the strings when they come in (around 1:40ish).
- At around 2:00 is Stickerbrush Symphony (DKC 2).
- At around 4:00 is a melody from Voices of the Temple (DKC 1).
- At 4:56 is a melody from DK Island Swing (DKC 1)
- At 5:49 is Bayou Boogie (DKC 2).
- At 6:49 and on is a rough translation of Hot-Head Bop (DKC 2).

I had so many more omitted ideas... maybe I'll do another part in the future. And I'm currently fixing up the drums with sine waves and compression, along with rewriting some drum and bass parts. I'll keep people updated and probably post it on youtube. Maybe I'll do some keytar performances, either post it on facebook or youtube.

#9 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,394 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

I guess I shoulda mastered my cover.I tried to do it kinda lo fi and capture the feel of the japanese rock n roll Ska scene.

I am going to remix it, though. I am not too good at mixing now. I actually put a distortion on practically every instrument, including the bari, tenor Sax and Trumpet. Hell even my organ had a slight overdrive on it. My buddy AJ played both sax parts and my other buddy Mateo played trumpet. I really wanted a super fucking gnarly motorcycle wearing sounding bass. It's cool I didn't that high, I really had a ton of fun with the song and I just hope I get better and doing self recordings. Oh ya, I played drums, bass, guitar, and organ on the recording. And here is the original song. It starts at 16 minutes, 7 seconds.

http://youtu.be/1a-uuju-cP4?t=16m7s

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#10 munzadeth

munzadeth

Reefer Madness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:18 AM

Welp... i tried. Haha.

Those of you who guessed that mine was a last minute entry were right... I basically did all the guitar learning and tracking from like 10pm Friday night straight through til about noon Saturday... it was a unique challenge trying to cover acapella source music with no way to separate the different voices.  After that I slept for a few hours and tried to do a bunch of EQ stuff to get the instruments out of each other's way.

I ended up being pretty stoked with the final result, especially since I didn't have much of a clue how all the vocal parts were gonna translate to guitar, BUT i was obviously a bit delirious from lack of sleep and probably wasn't as self-critical as I should have been.  

Anyway, it's a bit of a bummer it wasn't received well but I'm definitely happy for the wake up call.  I gotta get better at mixing!  This was my first try and I really know almost nothing outside of a few Recording Revolution tutorials I watched.  I really want to remix this song because I do think it has some potential...

Any tips or ideas for how I can fix the shitty production would be much appreciated!  I need help  B)

#11 munzadeth

munzadeth

Reefer Madness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

ALSO.... congrats to everyone who entered! This was an awesome month!  There are great songs from top to bottom on that list.  

#12 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,635 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

calling shenanigans here

the hell gais

the placement of ErichWK's Gunple cover is CLEAR evidence of butt-metal bias. BMB

i dont know the source, and i ant no ska guy, but it's a way more solid cover than most that go through here. i haven't listened on good speakers. is there some death sound that happens in the extreme freqs or something? bullshit

Blame me. It wad one of the rare months where I didn't vote as I was on vacation.
DNa7A7D.jpg

#13 Lucavi00

Lucavi00

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

Gimme all dem Maridia mixes.

d9KBm.jpg5oqBT.jpg

#14 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Gimme all dem Maridia mixes.

Maridia and Aquatic Ambiance

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#15 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,816 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

I heard about Wario's Woods through of Legacy Music Hour, and put a couple tracks from it on my list of songs that are worth covering.  I had always envisioned violins and acoustic bass.

I actually recorded it mainly as a fanfic for my new girlfriend, but the timing and DoD theme were right for me to submit the instrumental version.  Here's the fanfic https://soundcloud.c...ds-rose/s-w7wUJ

Fun fact: the "shaker" is an old peanut butter jar filled with dirt from my back yard.  It sounds bad when you get bigger rocks in it, so I had to use a strainer from my kitchen to filter the rocks/big chunks of sand.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DoD, Dwelling Of Duels, May, Free Month

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users