3178 replies to this topic

#2926 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,897 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:27 PM

Is the power-up system in the Twinbee series the worst fucking system you can imagine in a shoot'em-up? I want to like these games, because the graphics and music are excellent, but damned if I don't hate having to shoot colored bells a billion times to get upgrades, while trying to fend off enemy fleets. Am I doing it wrong? Or is this the reason this series was never popular in the U.S.?

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#2927 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 12:17 AM

Is the power-up system in the Twinbee series the worst fucking system you can imagine in a shoot'em-up? I want to like these games, because the graphics and music are excellent, but damned if I don't hate having to shoot colored bells a billion times to get upgrades, while trying to fend off enemy fleets. Am I doing it wrong? Or is this the reason this series was never popular in the U.S.?

Controversial game opinion: outside of aesthetic delights, these games are trash, like most video games.

Spoiler

#2928 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 12:47 AM

It's such a cheesedick strat to go for nothing but green bells in the Parodius games, but I can't help myself from doing it every time. Just cruising through almost the whole game in God mode.

Martha Kent original anti baconator

#2929 Tina

Tina

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 11:32 AM

TwinBee was never popular in the US because up until, like, the late '00s, when they started getting released on Virtual Console and what have you, the second Famicom game was the only one in the series to ever get released in the US, and it was released as Stinger, so nobody knew it was a part of a big series called TwinBee. Plus, Stinger isn't that representative of the series as a whole, since it has several horizontal-scrolling stages. AFAIK, TwinBee did decent in Europe, where a lot more of the games got released.

It's my favorite shooter series, even if powering up is weird. Just think of most of the bells as point bonuses. The games throw enough clouds at you that there's plenty of power-up opportunities. It generally doesn't take too many shots to get to any particular color, so if you overshoot or enemies keep you from keeping it in the air, just move on and try another. The games are pretty forgiving about keeping you powered up too. Like, there's the repair icon that appears when you lose the ship's arms, and some (all? can't remember) of the games let you grab a ghost if you die, which will restore the power-ups you had before. Some of the games also have power-ups hidden in the ground enemies you bomb. Those are often even better than the firepower you get from the bells. With the bells, I usually focus on getting one or two speed-ups, the shield, and options.

#2930 M-H

M-H

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 11:59 AM

Yo, I appreciate its place in history and how the N64 pretty much brought the analog stick back to the forefront of gaming controllers (and introduced rumble), but it has the worst one by far. It's hard and wears down and can tear up and bruise your palm if you need to aggressively spin it (Mario Party much?) and is just a pile of hot garbo. The Gamecube controller fixed everything, only--unfortunately--downgrading the d-pad. I feel like I've typed this all before but hell if I'm going back through 196 pages. And the whole port on the actual controller for memory cards and swapping them for the rumble pak and shit? Inconvenient as fuck, now I gotta keep all that stuff near me cluttering up my sitting area and not just part of the console? blerg The N64 controller can suck my fucking dick and eat my asshole #sorrynotsorry

BANDCAMP - Featuring my newest release, Maiden Voyage a tribute to the Star Ocean games
SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#2931 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:30 PM

I've come to terms long ago with the fact that only a few of us gifted players are able to properly use and appreciate the n64 controller's perfection. So, don't worry, I understand your frustration.

Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#2932 Tina

Tina

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:44 PM

Mario Party just has crappy design. No game should require you to aggressively and roughly use the controller to do well to begin with.

#2933 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

Yo, I appreciate its place in history and how the N64 pretty much brought the analog stick back to the forefront of gaming controllers (and introduced rumble), but it has the worst one by far. It's hard and wears down and can tear up and bruise your palm if you need to aggressively spin it (Mario Party much?) and is just a pile of hot garbo. The Gamecube controller fixed everything, only--unfortunately--downgrading the d-pad. I feel like I've typed this all before but hell if I'm going back through 196 pages. And the whole port on the actual controller for memory cards and swapping them for the rumble pak and shit? Inconvenient as fuck, now I gotta keep all that stuff near me cluttering up my sitting area and not just part of the console? blerg The N64 controller can suck my fucking dick and eat my asshole #sorrynotsorry

The official stance of theshizz.org/forum is that the N64 controller is perfect.

#2934 M-H

M-H

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:17 PM

I mean, I've presented my arguments why it's bad. I'm not hearing a lot of substance from the opposition... just keep on wallowing in your own crapulence. 

BANDCAMP - Featuring my newest release, Maiden Voyage a tribute to the Star Ocean games
SoundCloud

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#2935 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:46 PM

The Official ShizzAdmin has made their decree. There is no further discussion on whether or not the Nintendo 64 controller is the best and superior controller ever to have been created.

I really don't care about the N64 controller. I like it but it's not everyone. Whatever.

#2936 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:54 PM

VrIAdHi.jpg

#2937 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:11 PM

I could never agree with Marge. I might pause to consider for Lisa.

#2938 M-H

M-H

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:17 PM

Mario Party just has crappy design. No game should require you to aggressively and roughly use the controller to do well to begin with.

Why can't controller and software both be designed to work harmoniously? One part shouldn't have to adapt to workaround the other's failings, right?

I really don't care about the N64 controller. I like it but it's not everyone. Whatever.

That's fine.

SoundCloud

#2939 Demonstray

Demonstray

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,386 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:37 PM

I was...fine at Mario Party from the 2nd entry onward, but the first was a buggy mess that I don't think I ever beat.

I was, however, fuckin' mind-blowingly incredible at Bow's special attack in Paper Mario. The one that required you to slap the joystick to the left repeatedly. I bet that between Norrin_Radd's button mashing speed and my joystick slapping speed, we could save all life in the middle of a very specific world-ending crisis.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#2940 Tina

Tina

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 03:46 PM

Even if the N64 stick was super durable and could withstand aggressively grinding the stick in circles and even if the stick was made of a different material, the motion itself would still feel like shit. And if the game was on other platforms, I think it would've taken a toll on those controllers too, though not necessarily as severe.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fuck mega man, fuck my neighbors barking do, fuck life, fuck you, fuck it all, fucking no regrets, the musics fine, fuck the foot, i hate mega fucker, i ate 5 donuts for dinner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users