2929 replies to this topic

#2926 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,826 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:27 PM

Is the power-up system in the Twinbee series the worst fucking system you can imagine in a shoot'em-up? I want to like these games, because the graphics and music are excellent, but damned if I don't hate having to shoot colored bells a billion times to get upgrades, while trying to fend off enemy fleets. Am I doing it wrong? Or is this the reason this series was never popular in the U.S.?

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#2927 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,810 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 12:17 AM

Is the power-up system in the Twinbee series the worst fucking system you can imagine in a shoot'em-up? I want to like these games, because the graphics and music are excellent, but damned if I don't hate having to shoot colored bells a billion times to get upgrades, while trying to fend off enemy fleets. Am I doing it wrong? Or is this the reason this series was never popular in the U.S.?

Controversial game opinion: outside of aesthetic delights, these games are trash, like most video games.

Spoiler

#2928 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 12:47 AM

It's such a cheesedick strat to go for nothing but green bells in the Parodius games, but I can't help myself from doing it every time. Just cruising through almost the whole game in God mode.

Martha Kent original anti baconator

#2929 Tina

Tina

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 11:32 AM

TwinBee was never popular in the US because up until, like, the late '00s, when they started getting released on Virtual Console and what have you, the second Famicom game was the only one in the series to ever get released in the US, and it was released as Stinger, so nobody knew it was a part of a big series called TwinBee. Plus, Stinger isn't that representative of the series as a whole, since it has several horizontal-scrolling stages. AFAIK, TwinBee did decent in Europe, where a lot more of the games got released.

It's my favorite shooter series, even if powering up is weird. Just think of most of the bells as point bonuses. The games throw enough clouds at you that there's plenty of power-up opportunities. It generally doesn't take too many shots to get to any particular color, so if you overshoot or enemies keep you from keeping it in the air, just move on and try another. The games are pretty forgiving about keeping you powered up too. Like, there's the repair icon that appears when you lose the ship's arms, and some (all? can't remember) of the games let you grab a ghost if you die, which will restore the power-ups you had before. Some of the games also have power-ups hidden in the ground enemies you bomb. Those are often even better than the firepower you get from the bells. With the bells, I usually focus on getting one or two speed-ups, the shield, and options.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fuck mega man, fuck my neighbors barking do, fuck life, fuck you, fuck it all, fucking no regrets, the musics fine, fuck the foot, i hate mega fucker, i ate 5 donuts for dinner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users