#1 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:02 AM

Here's the Brevity Month results!

#1 Midee - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - Expand Sails - good +0.02
#2 Ivan Hakštok, Wild_Cat - Gradius 3 - Speed Up! - good -0.01
#3 SnappleMan - Parodius DA! - The Nutsmasher - good -0.09
#4 Harmsing - Captain America and The Avengers [NES] - Smiling Shield - good -0.37
#5 M-H - Raiden 3 - The Lightning Striketh - good -0.39
#6 Ailsean - Sonic The Hedgehog - Sonic Are You OK - good -0.46
#7 Nestalgica - Donkey Kong [NES] - Kong the King - good -0.5
#8 Brandon Strader - Mortal Kombat 2 - I Must Break You - above average +0.49
#9 VankiP - Doki! Doki! Yūenchi - Trolls Ride - above average +0.48
#10 Munzadeth, ErichWK - Silver Surfer - SilverMinute - above average +0.27
#11 Claude D. - Jackal - Siberian Offroad Winner - above average +0.13
#12 Mega Beardo - Crystal Castles [Atari 2600] - Bentley Bears It All - above average +0.09
#13 Jer Roque - Chrono Trigger - Etude For Marle - above average +0.02
#14 YamaYama - Subterranean Stryker [ZX Spectrum] - Subterranean Stryker - above average -0.05
#15 Daniel Alm - Pro Wrestling [NES] - It Ate My Face! - above average -0.09
#16 Demonstray, Ethan Cruse - Sonic the Hedgehog - Dwellin the Doohog - above average -0.12
#17 Katamari - Castlevania 3, WWF WrestleMania Challenge - WrestleVania - above average -0.18
#18 dasaten, Clint - Mega Man 9 - Dark Time Matrix - above average -0.34
#19 adamzap - Legend of Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link - Princess Swellda - above average -0.38
#20 norg - Archon 1,2 - Power Points are Proof Against Metal - above average -0.4
#21 Commander_Doyle - Dragon Ball Z [PS2] - Dragon Eggs - above average -0.42
#22 GearX2 - Ice Climber - Destroy Those Ice Cubes With Hammer - above average -0.47
#23 Jerther - G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - Yo Boss! - above average -0.48
#24 Ryan8bit - Kick Master - The Worst Kick Master Song That Mysteriously Got All of M-H's Votes - above average -0.5
#25 Zio Oxview - Mega Man 6 - Wily Robot Ecosystem of the Future Tour - average +0.07
#26 zykO - Air Fortress - Call me ID 82592 - average +0
#27 GteL - Comix Zone - The Darkest Night - average -0.11
#28 cacomistle - Mega Man 2, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Legend of Zelda 2, Kirby's Adventure, No More Heroes - Multiball - average -0.15
#29 Decnals - E Swat (Sharp X68000) - Track 2 - average -0.2
#30 DRM of DarkNES - Blaster Master - Canticum De Ranis Et Locaris - average -0.31
#31 TwoJan - Counter Strike 1.6 - Make It Before The Explosion; - average -0.35
#32 Magicalyardgnome - Excitebike - Fresh Snapple Rolling Group Poop - below average -0.08
Voters: 45

ALTS
Claude D. - Chip & Dale - Crabb-n-Bowl
Ivan Hakštok - Final Fantasy 6 - All I Wanna Do Is Prance
Katamari - Mega Man X - armarmarmarm
zykO - Super Mario Bros 3 - Endless Deserts

Congratulations to Midee, Ivan Hakštok, Wild_Cat and Snapplebruh! Thanks to everyone for the fun month!

The updated songs are up. Get them on the page, as the zip archive or stream on Youtube.

Next duel is...
SNK Month!
15-03-SNK.jpg
The banner is by fedde of Game Art HQ.

List of SNK games.

The songs are due March 26th, 11:59 AM EST
Send your entries to
dodsongs@gmail.com

#2 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:36 AM

2nd place with a new best rating ever? More than I hoped for! Thanks to Wild_Cat for collaborating with me and thanks to everyone who voted!

And yeah, if anybody didn't figure it out yet, my entry was a tribute to one of my favorite entries of all time, Prozax' Power Up! Which, coincidentally, also placed 2nd exactly 10 years ago. And what's more, BrainCells' cover for Recover Month also placed 2nd! Mind = blown.

So yeah, originally I wanted to put more Gradius 3 sources in it, but in the end I decided to just use Mechanical Base, my favorite Gradius 3 source, which happens to be missing from Power Up. The intro is Departure for Space, and the outro is Ending from Gradius Gaiden (I asked streifig not to list is as a game because anonymity greatly compromised xD). The song also features cameos from Back to the Future and Star Trek (and a cumshot, which Katamari called out :P)

As for my alt, I wanted to continue with FF final boss theme spoofs. So I made a Dancing Mad spoof. But I kinda stole lyrics from Pracing Dad (PuD was okay with it though xD). And ever since I heard norg's Inhabitants of the Dwelling I wanted to use the "I love horses" clip somewhere. :)

#3 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:46 AM

Uh did you accidentally reverse the results because Fresh Snapple Rolling Group Poop was incredible.

eKawlATs.jpg

#4 Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,547 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:54 AM

So yeah, I love Kick Master and I knew that I totally butchered it with the drums.  That's because they were played live and recorded with one mic.  I suck at the drums and I clearly don't have a good setup for recording them.  Here's the video (which is also, coincidentally shitty) of all the parts being played:

My general idea was to do something kinda lo fi with the song, although even in that it didn't quite jive.  The general idea was taken from this thread: http://theshizz.org/...new-ones/page-6

Where I said, "So I guess I'm going to go make the worst Kickmaster song ever now just to see if it really gets all your votes" to M-H to demonstrate that bad production would so fail. (I had a dream it got 33rd place, which apparently wasn't even a thing, lol)  I was actually going to do it in that first brevity month in 2014, but then I proceeded to viciously tear a ligament in my foot, which prevented any drum playing.

I still had a lot of fun with it.  All the instruments were played live and were pretty much on the first take.  My heart was definitely there, but the production was indeed pretty bad.  I know Kick Master deserves more.

Posted Image

I think at max length it made it to my nipples.

#5 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:12 AM

Hah, the video is awesome! I never would've guessed everything was live in the song.

And I can only imagine what hell of a pain in the ass drums recorded with one mic would be to mix :/

#6 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

Oh, SNK month. alright.

amTr0fm.png

#7 Magicalyardgnome

Magicalyardgnome

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:03 AM

Hahaha I predicted mine would be either first or last place!

Posted Image

#8 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:29 AM

Oh, SNK month. alright.

is it just me, or are SNK songs excellent in the context of a gane but not great listening material outside of them? They're more theatrical than other game companies or something.

eKawlATs.jpg

#9 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

Top Toxic Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,189 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:10 AM

So yeah, I love Kick Master and I knew that I totally butchered it with the drums.  That's because they were played live and recorded with one mic.  I suck at the drums and I clearly don't have a good setup for recording them.  Here's the video (which is also, coincidentally shitty) of all the parts being played:

My general idea was to do something kinda lo fi with the song, although even in that it didn't quite jive.  The general idea was taken from this thread: http://theshizz.org/...new-ones/page-6

Where I said, "So I guess I'm going to go make the worst Kickmaster song ever now just to see if it really gets all your votes" to M-H to demonstrate that bad production would so fail. (I had a dream it got 33rd place, which apparently wasn't even a thing, lol)  I was actually going to do it in that first brevity month in 2014, but then I proceeded to viciously tear a ligament in my foot, which prevented any drum playing.

I still had a lot of fun with it.  All the instruments were played live and were pretty much on the first take.  My heart was definitely there, but the production was indeed pretty bad.  I know Kick Master deserves more.

hey man, i loved it. i wasnt too hot on most of these tracks, but that one stood out. feel bad i didnt vote. im working on a kick master medley, if you wanna get involved let me know.

Posted Image

#10 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

I liked my Saint Anger snare! Ha. I did the bass and synths and mixing all the night before it was do, so I didn't have any time for revisions. . But I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out. Mixing live drums is hard. At least Munzadeth absolutely killed it on guitar

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#11 munzadeth

munzadeth

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:56 AM

This is amazing!!!  Drums shmums, I loved this entry and this video just ices it for me.  B)

#12 travis

travis

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:57 AM

is it just me, or are SNK songs excellent in the context of a gane but not great listening material outside of them? They're more theatrical than other game companies or something.

I literally don't know any other SNK tunes than this one, but I looped the fuck outta this last year -

hhLJkpL.png

#13 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:21 PM

Oh, SNK month. alright.

Their NES games have great soundtracks that are awesome on their own. I'm not even talking about Ikari Warriors only. Crystalis, Guerilla War, POW all have awesome music.

#14 zyko

zyko

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:41 PM

Well that was... uh.. average... lol

SNK, lets go
Sad Man on a Rock - coming 20idunno!

#15 dasaten

dasaten

Shizz Captain

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

Congrats to the winners and everyone! This was a really solid month, maybe just because having the song be only one minute leaves less of a chance for crappiness to creep in. 
In case anyone was really wondering, the drums being so panned was out of my control as my friend Clint recorded them with just one overhead mic. 

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DoD, Brevity, Dwelling Of Duels, SNK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users