#16 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:54 PM

Oh, SNK month. alright.

is it just me, or are SNK songs excellent in the context of a gane but not great listening material outside of them? They're more theatrical than other game companies or something.

You're alone on that one, and I didn't mean to +1 that. I thoroughly enjoy SNK music out of context.

amTr0fm.png

#17 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:03 PM

Bassists represent.

amTr0fm.png

#18 Kirk

Kirk

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,447 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:13 PM

sgy5Biv.gif

#19 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:35 PM

Someone play that for 7 minutes, I'll vote for it.

Problem with SNK soundtracks is that they've been expertly arranged by SNK, so it's been kind of pointless to cover them.

amTr0fm.png

#20 Kirk

Kirk

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 14,447 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:44 PM

sgy5Biv.gif

#21 Valence

Valence

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:03 AM

Turning on all the vids at the same time is loud. 

#22 cacomistle

cacomistle

Horsey Sauce

• Members
  • 13,258 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:36 AM

lol, pretty good place.  hahah.  i'm happy with my song.  it was just something quick i did.  i was trying to mash up as many songs as i could.  \

i really just wanted to record something with my new guitar, which apparently doesn't sound good.  but at least it's bright green

130725559_10100312783887504_826248157959

#23 cacomistle

cacomistle

Horsey Sauce

• Members
  • 13,258 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:04 AM

FantasyVGScreen.png

130725559_10100312783887504_826248157959

#24 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:21 AM

I've picked out a song, but transcribing, rearranging and playing it is gonna be one hell of a challenge.

But I welcome the challenge 8)

#25 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:01 AM

I liked my Saint Anger snare! Ha. I did the bass and synths and mixing all the night before it was do, so I didn't have any time for revisions. . But I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out. Mixing live drums is hard. At least Munzadeth absolutely killed it on guitar

yeah mixing them... also miking them, tuning them and sometimes even playing the damned things for more than 10 minutes at a time without the neighbors calling the cops!

#26 M-H

M-H

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

Hey, 5th place! Congrats to the top 4 -- they definitely deserved their spots. Fun to be back in the game after so long away. It's been an honor this past decade to be part of this community and this competition. My first DOD entry back in February '05 was from the Raiden series, so I felt compelled to go there again.

Ryan and caco - I love you guys.

I'm not suuuuper, super familiar with SNK stuff, but I'll try to find something. 

BANDCAMP featuring free music such as:

- 2020 Super Hang-On cover album Ride to Survive

- 2020 Original, full-length metal album Rotting Planet

- 2019 Star Ocean tribute Maiden Voyage 

Oh, and random stuff on SoundCloud

#27 Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,547 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

I liked my Saint Anger snare! Ha. I did the bass and synths and mixing all the night before it was do, so I didn't have any time for revisions. . But I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out. Mixing live drums is hard. At least Munzadeth absolutely killed it on guitar

yeah mixing them... also miking them, tuning them and sometimes even playing the damned things for more than 10 minutes at a time without the neighbors calling the cops!

I'd be curious to see what I could do with a proper setup instead of just mixing with one mic, haha.

Posted Image

I think at max length it made it to my nipples.

#28 Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:09 AM

Congratulations to everyone who entered! I was sure we'd get 2nd, but I thought Snappleman, not Midee, would beat us. Nonetheless, the songs are super-enjoyable, working with Ivan was fun (as usual), and I'm always happy to see Ryan8bit and M-H enter. <3

This song was also the recording debut of my newest bass, an Ibanez SR1206. It's a pleasure to play, and I like to think that when set to neutral (as it was here), it has a pleasing J-bass type of sound. I'll be sure to experiment more with it in the future. Unlike my EBMM Bongo, which is at its best with minimal tone shaping, this one lends itself better to the use of effects.

#29 Magicalyardgnome

Magicalyardgnome

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:13 AM

lol, pretty good place.  hahah.  i'm happy with my song.  it was just something quick i did.  i was trying to mash up as many songs as i could.  \

i really just wanted to record something with my new guitar, which apparently doesn't sound good.  but at least it's bright green

Yours was my favorite!

Posted Image

#30 M-H

M-H

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:25 PM

Congrats to the winners and everyone! This was a really solid month, maybe just because having the song be only one minute leaves less of a chance for crappiness to creep in. 
In case anyone was really wondering, the drums being so panned was out of my control as my friend Clint recorded them with just one overhead mic. 

Here's something I would've tried: I don't know how many tracks in total he recorded, but since you only said one overhead, I'm guessing there were maybe two more mics for the other parts of the kits.

I would've put them all in the center, mono style. Bus all of these to a single track (in Cubase, create a group track and change the outputs on each individual track to go to this group track). Now create an FX channel or something similar (with no effects, for now), and use the FX Sends from the individual tracks to go to this new track.

So, now you have two tracks with the same audio.

Then, low-pass EQ the Group track a little to lessen the cymbals a tad. Don't go too agressive. Then, try high-passing the FX channel and remove a fair amount of the low-end and some mids. Now, on the high-passed track add a spatial effect like Cubase's Mono to Stereo, and play around. That could help widen up the top-end without widening the lows and mids too much. You'll have to play around with the EQs and stuff. Then you can balance the tracks' faders to taste. You might find a subtle, suitable stereo-ness that works in the mix. 

And you can still go back and add some compression and stuff to the individual elements.

Again, this is just something I would try -- just throwing a friendly tip out there.  If it ends up sounding weird and phasey, I'd have no problem with just going straight up the middle, summed-mono drums. Sometimes that's best. It's up to you. 

BANDCAMP featuring free music such as:

- 2020 Super Hang-On cover album Ride to Survive

- 2020 Original, full-length metal album Rotting Planet

- 2019 Star Ocean tribute Maiden Voyage 

Oh, and random stuff on SoundCloud

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DoD, Brevity, Dwelling Of Duels, SNK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users