48 replies to this topic

#46 Katajun

Katajun

Keep rollin', everybody

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

There is also a matter of people knowing if the game song is a non-original piece in the first place. There has been a few times that I've heard classical pieces in video games, and im sure there has been many that I didn't recognize. I didn't know Snapplemans song was from anything other than a videgame (besides nutcracker obv) until it was pointed out by a friend who recognized the motif. In the case of someone who has never entered DoD, this could be pretty discouraging to have your song disqualified because it was part of Act II of some 15th century opera.

Summed: one cant tell if someone purposefully dodged the rule about adapted vgm.

And then, in terms of referencing another song vs. basing an entire song around it, half of my song was Hulk Hogan's theme from WWF. I counterbalanced it with a Casltevania tune, sure, but it did take up a decent chunk of my song. I know we all throw in musical references into our songs, I'm pretty sure my last 4 DoD entries have each had some other tune hidden in there.

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#47 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,338 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

There is a potential grey area when it comes to quotes, but I think in your case, it's clearly a VG cover with quotes from Hulk Hogan, as opposed to being clearly a cover of Hulk Hogan.

And it's good to be encouraging whenever possible, but the DoD rules are there for a reason.  I like them, personally.  I remember a year or so ago, someone's entry was disqualified because they released it on Facebook or something?  No hard feelings, but it's a key rule!

I think the music in Parodius is well-known enough for this rule to clearly apply.  Actually, the entire soundtrack might be classical http://en.wikipedia..../Parodius_music

To an extent (your 15th century opera act II could be an exception), I don't think the intent of the arranger matters.  The soundtrack for Skitchin could just be an instrumental The Offspring album, and honestly I would be none the wiser, because punk sucks and I don't listen to it.  But if I record a straight cover of it, it should be an alt, right?

#48 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

I wouldn't retroactively remove anything or change the rules, let's just keep an eye out for any future cases like this.

#49 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:29 AM

Yeah, agreed. I'm to blame for overlooking this.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DoD, Brevity, Dwelling Of Duels, SNK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users