48 replies to this topic

#16 Prince Uf Darkness

Prince Uf Darkness

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

Woo doggy. What a month. I actually loved zyko's song and was very surprised at his placement. That beat was phat as shit and the song itself was definitely unique and refreshing to DoD. Green Theater was actually incredibly amusing to me and the attention to detail with Panic Attack was fantastic. Plus, I love doing those type of silly musical mashups, so I'm biased. My favorite of course was DAAAAYTOONAAAA

Also, since I'm a DoD panelist and technically part of ISW, I'm giving the prize away to someone else. 

Ok, so about BIKE KID...

Here's the script: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

I did the music, Ailsean wrote the lyrics & the script as well as performed the last couple of lead guitars, Flik did all the voice acting, and then I got fellow Tiberian Sons Connor Engstrom to play the shreddy solo over Excitebike and Wild_Cat to do the Excitebike bass line. I wanted to include Tiberian Sons drummer Travis Moberg to play cowbell or something, but we had serious limited time in the weeks leading up to MAGfest and had to dedicate all that time to rehearsing Tiberian Sons material.

Having it be as long as it was was definitely a gamble, but I was hoping we could make it entertaining enough to make people forgive the length. We probably could've trimmed down the Rally Bike section and the Mach Rider Todd/BK race off, but that would've shaved off maybe 2 minutes.

Now, watch this video to understand how and why this song started:

The first iteration Sean came to me with was this idea of doing a medley of Paperboy, then Excitebike, then Mach Rider about some Bike Kid, kinda based on the stories of RAD and Turbokid. Basically a smaller version of what it is now. He also told me about RAD and Turbokid, which I watched both of. I loved the idea, and we went back and forth about all the glorious 80's cheese, references and jokes we could keep adding to the song, plus hunting down other bicycle/motorbike games we could include. We knew we wanted to do Paperboy in a Minneapolis Funk style pretty early on, which led to Minnesota Vikings, and thus, Biker Vikings.

I started on the arrangement a few days before Christmas, after I had finished mixing the new Tiberian Sons album. Send Me an Angel immediately struck me as a somewhat dramatic song, and easily translatable to a sort of musical opener, so I started with that. Then we just kept adding songs from there as we brainstormed the direction of the script. Finding Outride a Crisis pretty much tied it all together, because there was something missing from the middle of the story. Really, this song is an Outride a Crisis cover with 15 minutes of bullshit surrounding it. I'll probably extend it out and make it a standalone song at some point.

Flik recorded all of his stuff the weekend before MAGfest, and made himself sick after the last night, but kept pushing through it. How badass is that.

But I had a ton of fun making this idea come to fruition, and there's no way I can make any track bigger than this. So I'm sure I'm going to lose pretty hardcore come next MAGfest.  :)

#17 zyko

zyko

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

also, seriously, the announcement party might have been the bestest part of MAGFest because then it immediately segued into a hot tub and was fucking awesome.

Sad Man on a Rock - coming 20idunno!

#18 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

this was sooooooo f-ing amazing guys!!!!! i remember when you told me about your concept idea for this last yr sam, couldn't have imagined you'd have done it so well. 

Glad you and everyone at the listening party dug it! This was by far the most amount of work I ever put into arranging/recording a video game remix. My fingers felt like they were going to fall off after recording leads. Also the entire team I had assembled all bailed on me super last minute. This was originally supposed to be the same lineup I entered with last year for DoD. Brian from Lich King doing drums and mixing, Mike from Lich King/Condition Critical (my old band) doing bass and Tony (replaced me in that band) doing a crazy shred solo at the end. None of them had time so like a week before the deadline I managed to get Katamari to do the drums and Munzadeth to mix. Thanks SO MUCH Katamari and Munz!

I expected to place higher than 9th after how everyone reacted at the listening party, but I'll take being in the top 10 for a MAGFest month. I was destined to place one spot lower than Russian Attack again. Next year I will probably do something less br00tal. Gotta get on the level of those solo piano pieces. 

I also thought more people would have gotten the Vektor references and be sad about how the band just fell apart. At least I was able to do a tribute to them now that they're more or less gone. And credit goes to Magicalyardgnome and Robby V for sparking the idea for this. They were the ones who originally kept talking about how much Vektor was basically the Contra Alien's Lair music in thrash band form. Once I thought of ways to Vektorize other parts of the Contra soundtrack I knew I had to make this one a reality. I love doing remixes/covers where the focus is on the riffs and not just lead guitars playing a game melody.

I started on the arrangement a few days before Christmas

Are you fucking kidding me!? I thought for sure that would've taken so much more time. I can't even imagine recording/mixing a 20 minute long piece of music. 

Pretty disappointed in the rankings overall because I thought zyko's entry was waaaaaaay better than a lot of things that placed higher. Also Streifig's alt is one of my favorite VG covers of all time :)

I managed to guess a bunch of tracks correctly. Knew immediately which ones were zyko, PuD, Hakstok and Clansmaneddie. 

#19 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

there's no way I can make any track bigger than this. So I'm sure I'm going to lose pretty hardcore come next MAGfest.  :)

Haha, I'm willing to bet you'll find a way to outdo this next year. :D

#20 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,842 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Sagnu is the Kerry King of VGM

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#21 Demonstray

Demonstray

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

Are you fucking kidding me!? I thought for sure that would've taken so much more time.

You've...never met Tony, have you?

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#22 Hat

Hat

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

Hat's should have placed higher!

Thanks!!!!

also, seriously, the announcement party might have been the bestest part of MAGFest because then it immediately segued into a hot tub and was fucking awesome.

Dwelling of the Pools!!!!

So, yeah, when I saw the theme, I knew IMMEDIATELY that I'd have to do the 90's just for the troll factor (being someone who has more nostalgia for the 80's and was alive for all of it and what not).

Ever since hearing Zyko's "Monster Baby" track, I'd dreamed of the day that I'd be able to have a kid to sample, and it all came together when I decided it was finally time to make that Parappa cover that I'd always dreamed of, steeped with 90's samples.

In case anyone didn't know them all, I used "My Name is Mud" by Primus, "Poison" by Bell Biv Devoe, "Scenario" by A Tribe Called Quest, and "The Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground as my sample loops.  The guitar (that resembles the riff from the original game) was played live and the slide whistles were live.  Oh, and all of the rapping by Parappa, Chop Chop Master Onion, Mooselini, and Prince Fleaswallow.  :ph34r:

:ph34r:

#23 Prince Uf Darkness

Prince Uf Darkness

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

Are you fucking kidding me!? I thought for sure that would've taken so much more time.

You've...never met Tony, have you?

Haha, nothing that I did in this track was really that impressive. First of all, coffee. Second of all, so much of the music is just 8th note spamming on a single note or chord. Once I had all the source material sketched it was just a matter of distributing the parts to different instruments and writing drum beats.

Btw, if y'all want THAT 80's tom sound, get this VST: http://www.alyjamesl...eslabvsdsx.html

No acoustic toms were harmed in the making of this DoD.

#24 zyko

zyko

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

you know what really cooks my noodle about magfest month? coming out of the creative lull (thanks to tryptophan and wine phenols) of the holidays, i always want to immediately start working and writing. this year was no different. the amount of brilliant storytelling and pro musicating was again so prevalent in this year's DoD field. and soooo good to experience (most of) it with (most of) you, as always.

quick notes on "The OG"

i wanted to combine some of my favorite things with this one: Marcus Brody's tantalizing tale of the Ark of the Covenant from Raiders of The Lost Ark... Hanna Barbera music (and my totally unavoidable grandadness haha)... yet more desertmusic noodling... and PHAT BEETZ. Desert Falcon was an obvious favorite when i was really little because hell, the fact you got to battle a sphinx was like a wet dream for baby zyko and i loved that main theme so much. i was, as you could probably guess, initially going to rap over the track but was so bogged down in the weeks leading up to mag that i didn't end up even trying lol still i figured it'd be a totally zyko thing to mash some nutbusting cypress hill beats with a little scratch, some duduk, flute, violin and distorted wah guitar, go full grandad on the flintstones and build up to it with the iconic jetsons theme intro. i was also going to, for more shits and more giggles, mash some muppets theme in there (since i had been spamming the muppets christmas movie throughout the month hahah) but, probably fortunately for you all, decided against it. but muppets were harmed. lots of them.

all in all, i'm happy with it

Sad Man on a Rock - coming 20idunno!

#25 Pumpkin King

Pumpkin King

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:13 PM

Haha, nothing that I did in this track was really that impressive. 

Psh...  :rolleyes:

#26 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,842 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

you know what really cooks my noodle about magfest month? coming out of the creative lull (thanks to tryptophan and wine phenols) of the holidays, i always want to immediately start working and writing. this year was no different. the amount of brilliant storytelling and pro musicating was again so prevalent in this year's DoD field. and soooo good to experience (most of) it with (most of) you, as always.

quick notes on "The OG"

i wanted to combine some of my favorite things with this one: Marcus Brody's tantalizing tale of the Ark of the Covenant from Raiders of The Lost Ark... Hanna Barbera music (and my totally unavoidable grandadness haha)... yet more desertmusic noodling... and PHAT BEETZ. Desert Falcon was an obvious favorite when i was really little because hell, the fact you got to battle a sphinx was like a wet dream for baby zyko and i loved that main theme so much. i was, as you could probably guess, initially going to rap over the track but was so bogged down in the weeks leading up to mag that i didn't end up even trying lol still i figured it'd be a totally zyko thing to mash some nutbusting cypress hill beats with a little scratch, some duduk, flute, violin and distorted wah guitar, go full grandad on the flintstones and build up to it with the iconic jetsons theme intro. i was also going to, for more shits and more giggles, mash some muppets theme in there (since i had been spamming the muppets christmas movie throughout the month hahah) but, probably fortunately for you all, decided against it. but muppets were harmed. lots of them.

all in all, i'm happy with it

Rad dude! Yours was def. One of my top 3 favorites

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#27 Chernabogue

Chernabogue

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:44 AM

That bike medley was fucking insane.

Also, yay for brievity month!

I'm gonna get out of this thread before Simon Belmont destroys your shit forever.

VV3 here: tinyurl.com/VV3OCR

#28 jmr

jmr

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:15 AM

#24 jmr, streifig, ErichWK, Stemage - Maniac Mansion [NES] - The Boys Are Still Doing Research for Phil Lynott's Autobiography (Team 80s) - average +0.27

wtf are you guys deaf, ahah

I can't tell if you're commenting on the song, or how it placed. :P

Ducktales is actually in 1/16 and there are just different amounts of measures in the phrases you fucking scrubs

MARSHALL ART ULTIMATE - TEN FULL BAND VGM COVERS IN CHIP/POST/PROGROCK STYLE

MARSHALL ART - JMR - CHROMELODEON ARCHIVE

#29 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:18 AM

That bike medley was fucking long.

Fixed!

#30 Prince Uf Darkness

Prince Uf Darkness

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

That bike medley was fucking long.

Fixed!

DM;BS

(Doesn't Matter; Beat Snappleman)

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DoD, dwelling of duels, 80s, 90s, brevity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users