#1 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:14 PM

Free Month entries are up! You can listen to them on the duel page:

The deadline for voting is April 1st, 11:59PM EDT. Vote using the sliders on the duel page and send the votes to dodsongs@gmail.com.

#2 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:57 PM

Whoever did Castlevania x Great Giana Sisters gets a big thumbs up from me.

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com  ||  Castellum Sanguis LXVIII: Castlevania X68000 Tribute Album

#3 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

Great entries. IMO the "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3" and "F-Zero" tracks are the vocal highlight of the month.

iu_10481_5243319.jpg?raw=1

#4 BornInCrimson

BornInCrimson

King of The Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:15 AM

The Secret of Mana one was a really good cover. Very tasteful.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Jyqfuta.gif

#5 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:41 AM

Listening party tonight on DoD Twitch at 6PM EDT (in a bit over 3 hours if I'm not mistaken).

https://www.twitch.tv/dwellingofduels

#6 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:54 PM

Starting soon, get your asses in there. :)

#7 Juja

Juja

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

Are chat logs still a thing? I was at work from before the listening party started until after it was over, so I had no chance of participating.

#8 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:21 AM

Since we did it on twitch, you can view the chat in real time by watching the video.

I'm not at home right now so I can't upload just the log text file.

#9 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:32 PM

REVIEWS!

Alien Crush, Chrono Trigger, G.I. Joe: The Atlantis Factor, Mega Man 4 - Atlantis Burns Under A Lunar Eclipse

Great DoD guitar tones and playing. Unfortunately the snare gets lost in the mix a little bit and the bass playing could've been better.

Contra: Hard Corps - The Foggy Cave in the Darkness

I'd love to enjoy this one but for some reason, I just can't. The tons and sounds are all good but maybe it's all a tad too safe in terms of the arrangement as nothing creative is going on. It's very straightforward and that is a huge downside.

F-Zero - Fly WBM2.0

Holy shit. Amazing vocals. However, the instrumental track suffers from being kinda bland. I get a feeling there could be more added to it. A more intricate guitar solo perhaps?

Final Fantasy 7 - Death Throes of Gaia

It sounds good until the METALZ!! kicks in. Then the mix becomes tinny. Work on your EQ and levels.

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror - Ravage the Cabbage

Great sax and flute. The drums are the only thing that doesn't work in this track. If you had done it the Harmonium way, the arrangement would've been be better.

Langrisser - Kingdom Knight

Also some nice guitar tones. Good bass too. The Hakstokian brass ensemble patch becomes annoying after some time.

Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3 - Radiance Ephemeral

I like the way you incorporated Morse code into the song. Also it's refreshing to hear someone rockify the Protoman jingle. It's a really really nice arragement. Definitely my top 5 this month.

NieR: Automata - Manifesting Aliens (How Do I Save My Game????)

The trombone and double bass go together really nicely. Very Hat-like sound this one has. It's a shame the brass parts were recorded using a cheap method. They're very very brittle and I think I can kinda hear the noise removal.

Ninja Gaiden - Inside Shell

Standard DoD arrangement. I don't have much to say about it. Very middle of the road, not bad but bland-ish... a little tiny bit.

Persona 5 - The Veil that Thieves

Okay vox. You're accenting the wrong syllable in the word shape-shifter and that bugs me. But that's just me. I think the vocals aren't too bad, even though the arrangement I find boring.

Resident Evil - The End of Life

Cool keyboard sounds.... aaaaand that's it. I can't say anything about this because of how boring this arrangement is.

Secret of Mana - Pandora

This one is like a cross between Careless Juja and Claude D. Sweet sounding acoustics, good accordion/melodica too. Gotta add it to my top 5!

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES - Mass Destruction

Shiiiit! Awesome rap! Babeh babeh ba-babeh! This rocks! Nuff said.

Super Metroid - See You Next Mission

The rhythm guitar begs for it being doubletracked. Especially at the beginning. It's super straightforward. Not my cup of tea when it comes to DoD.

Touhou 15: Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom - Perseus Supercluster

Great intro. I like the VEC drums. The Djent part feels like it belongs to a completely different song. And that's great! It adds some variety. Sadly, many of the sweet ideas here lack top-quality execution and polish.

AND NOW FOR MY TOTALLY PERSONAL TOP 5 PICKS

1. F-Zero - Fly WBM2.0

2. Persona 3 - Mass Destruction

3. Secret of Mana - Pandora

4. Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3 - Radiance Ephemeral

5. Kirby and the Amazing Mirror - Ravage the Cabbage

iu_10481_5243319.jpg?raw=1

#10 Juja

Juja

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:26 PM

Hah, looks like Czyszy determined the top 5 since he has all the voting power from being the only reviewer.

I would do reviews, but I don't feel qualified to do so. I will say I really liked Mega Man 2/3 and Super Metroid. I think FFVII is pretty cool as well, but I agree that I liked it more earlier in the song.

#11 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

The transitions in that Alien Crush et al. medley are sublime. It's like those tracks were made to go together.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dod, dwelling of duels, free month

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users