#1 weener

weener

Sleeveless

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,716 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 10:09 PM

Hey buddies,

I don't remember how much detail I've gone into here these past 15 or so years, but I had a really weird upbringing and as a result I'm sort of stunted with the pop culture things I know about. It was as if I was dropped on earth in 2002 and my knowledge of things before that is very spotty. There are some very, verrrrry basic things/people/movies that I have never seen/heard of and it has created some uh somewhat embarrassing situations for me. It's easier to hide online because if something goes over my head I can keep my mouth shut and/or Google it, but in real life, people look at me weird when it comes out that I don't know who Patrick Swayze is. The truth is, I don't know what the fuck anyone is talking about at least half the time and I'm tired of it.

In the last few months, I watched a bunch of the movies I've never seen that everyone else knows (Ghostbusters, for instance, and Predator) and it's been kind of fun. I was hoping you, as the group of people I trust and value the most, could tell me the essential pop culture movies that a person my age (34) should have seen as a kid/teen so I can try to get caught up and finally join society.

So, to get started, I know I need to finally see Goonies. What else?

#2 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,358 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 10:24 PM

It was as if I was dropped on earth in 2002 and my knowledge of things before that is very spotty

Oh MAN, you've gotta see pre-2002 Simpsons, me and some others are STILL mining those episodes for jokes!

I don't know who Patrick Swayze is

Same

Predator

oh GOOOOD call.  I saw that way later in my life, and it's one of my favorites.  How about The Matrix?

#3 weener

weener

Sleeveless

• Shizzified
  • 13,716 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 10:28 PM

Haha, the Simpsons was like the one show I actually was allowed to watch as a kid, which is why I'm so into it. I have also seen Terminator 2 many, many times because it was one of the few VHS tapes my dad had, the other two being Die Hard and Groundhog Day. He also had The Fugitive but we only watched that when I was really little.

I did see The Matrix when I was older, good call though.

I watched several of those classic horror movies with the man friend this year, such as Halloween and Friday the 13th, but I fell asleep during most of them. They were not my cup of tea but I'm glad I got the gist of them.

#4 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 10:38 PM

I'm just gonna throw out some recs, stream of consciousness style:

Blade Runner - try to avoid the theatrical cut, although if you have no familiarity with the source novel, the excessive monologues might be helpful

The Blues Brothers - best musical of all time

The Beastmaster

The Neverending Story

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

The Terminator 1 & 2

RoboCop

The Last Starfighter

Hackers

Flight of the Navigator

Transformers: The Movie

The Wizard

This kind of turned into more of "stuff that fascinated me as a kid" than "significant cultural touchstones", but hopefully there's some crossover

#5 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Mission 1 Boss

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,775 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 10:39 PM

This is kind of like me, how I went on a Mormon mission to Africa from '97 to late '99, so every once in a while some movie or song will come up that I've never even heard of. My situation is brief though.

Anyway, good call on The Matrix. That was literally the movie I was told I needed to see when I got back.

I'd be surprised watching The Big Lebowski didn't pay off quick in terms of recognizing quotes.

The Sixth Sense and Seven would too, to a lesser extent.
Posted Image

#6 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 10:40 PM

I still haven't seen The Sixth Sense and I've never really felt like I missed out

#7 weener

weener

Sleeveless

• Shizzified
  • 13,716 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:12 PM

Pre 2000 stuff that's kind of a big deal?

The Thing with Kurt Russell
They Live with Rowdy Roddy Piper

Animated stuff.
Akira, Wizards, Heavy Metal

They Live is one of my fave movies of all time, and I did actually see The Thing for the first time a few months ago! I'll check out that other stuff.

I'm just gonna throw out some recs, stream of consciousness style:

Blade Runner - try to avoid the theatrical cut, although if you have no familiarity with the source novel, the excessive monologues might be helpful

The Blues Brothers - best musical of all time

The Beastmaster

The Neverending Story

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

The Terminator 1 & 2

RoboCop

The Last Starfighter

Hackers

Flight of the Navigator

Transformers: The Movie

The Wizard

This kind of turned into more of "stuff that fascinated me as a kid" than "significant cultural touchstones", but hopefully there's some crossover

I have only seen a few of things on this list; it'll be helpful!

#8 weener

weener

Sleeveless

• Shizzified
  • 13,716 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:15 PM

A thing that gets me is that I have often been in the position where I'm seeing a parody of something and I'm not familiar with the source material. Even things on The Simpsons, once in awhile I'll stumble across the source of one of their parodies and it dawns on me that the joke went over my head for the last 25 years.

Apparently they're always riffing on The Godfather, which I have never seen.

See also: songs Frank Zappa has parodied.

#9 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:34 PM

• Aladdin
  • Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Beverly Hills Cop
  • Billy Madison
  • Christmas Story
  • Donnie Darko
  • Karate Kid
  • Lion King
  • Little Mermaid
  • Pitch Black
  • Rambo
  • Rambo: First Blood Part II
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  • Wayne's World

DNa7A7D.jpg

#10 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:38 PM

I can't think of any specific songs Zappa parodied, but he certainly poked fun at certain people - some of whom I've had to learn afterwards too.

[edit] oh man, the first TMNT is such a good movie

#11 weener

weener

Sleeveless

• Shizzified
  • 13,716 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:41 PM

If you listen to Broadway the Hard Way it's full of parodies of things I've embarrassingly found out about later.

#12 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:44 PM

I haven't gotten deep into a lot of those later live releases, but it sounds like I should!

#13 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,358 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 12:31 AM

Oh good call on those classic Disney movies.

I remember seeing a video or article marching a bunch of Simpsons parodies up to their movie/TV originals. That'd be a great place to start... Stuff generally gets parodied when it's culturally relevant! Same with earlier Family Guy and Futurama (side note, I dare say Futurama is even funnier than Simpsons. Not more iconic, important, or quotable, but more laugh out loud funny).

#14 matsunami

matsunami

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,559 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 02:35 AM

Princess Bride

UAV3t1p.png

#15 Demonstray

Demonstray

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,726 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 02:46 AM

Gotta second Princess Bride, and if you haven't seen the Airplane! movies I find that their humour, while dated in some areas, has fuckin' beyond-Simpsons awareness of the English language at times. It might be nostalgia on my part, but to this day there are still parts where I go several minutes without being able to stop laughing out loud.

Dunno if you've seen the Naked Gun movies or the Hot Shots ones but I like those ones a lot too!

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users