#1 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:00 PM

#1 Powellman - Final Fantasy 6 - Flight Of The Magitek - good -0.06
#2 Snappleman - Contra: Hard Corps - Browny's Party Favorites Vol.1 - good -0.28
#3 Ivan Hakstok - Pop'n TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventures - Mr. Green Hill - good -0.34
#4 M-H - Time Trax - Multi Trax - above average +0.32
#5 Cory Johnson - Earthbound - Smiles and Tears - above average +0.23
#6 Adam, Darmock, Jason Farrell - Dragon Knight 4 - Lushifon's Lips - above average +0.21
#7 newip - Langrisser 2 - Knight’s Errand - above average +0.17
#8 clansmaneddie - ATP Tour Championship Tennis - Seriously considered ATP Tour Championship Tennis because I didn't know what to for 1994 month thank you MegaMatt - above average +0.17
#9 Epic Game Music - Earthbound - A Journey to Sadett (Onett in a Minor Key) - above average +0.06
#10 Rifftus - Contra: Hard Corps, Psycho Pinball - Balls of Steel - above average +0.04
#11 housethegrate - Demon's Crest - Morning Star - above average -0.07
#12 Bradley Mizzi - Adventures of Batman and Robin - Chief of Considerable Size - above average -0.1
#13 BrankyKong - Donkey Kong Country - Kristmas with the Kongs - above average -0.19
#14 WASD - Heretic - Blighted Sanctuary - above average -0.21
#15 TheBitterRoost - Super 3D Noah's Ark - For Sacrifice - above average -0.22
#16 Mattmatatt - Dynamite Headdy - Boom Goes the Dynamite - above average -0.27
#17 Jett Swole - King of Fighters '94 - Psycho Soldier - above average -0.28
#18 Ian Martyn - Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Final Fantasy VI - Hard Days - above average -0.37
#19 DJ 401K - Donkey Kong Country - DK Island Swing Remix - above average -0.42
#20 tibone - One Must Fall: 2097 - One Must Funk 'til 2097 - above average -0.46
#21 Claude D. - Earthworm Jim - «Hellish New Junk Reggae For a Bad Guy» - average +0.48
#22 The Runaway Four - Little Big Adventure - Escape from the Temple - average +0.39
#23 SJ Van Damme - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters - Part of Tmnt TF (Congratulation dedicaded to VGM MAGfest Family) - average +0.08
#24 CzySzy, General Grunt - Earthbound - The Dramatic Tale of a Cosmic Sunflower - average -0.11
#25 Temp Sound Solutions - The Incredible Crash Dummies - Incredible CTE Boys - average -0.13
Voters: 28

Congrats to Powellman, Snappleman, and Ivan Hakštok(man) on the win for 1994 Month!

20-01-Brevity.jpg

Next month's theme is Brevity! Any game/music is applicable to this month, but the theme comes with an arrangement restriction: all entries must be no longer than 60 seconds in length. Whip up a quick tune in an afternoon and send it in to shake off the New Year's worries! Big Thanks to RisingSunfish for our artwork this month! Entries are due by January 29th!

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#2 Valence

Valence

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:48 PM

Cory Johnson you made me cry.

#3 corysbeard

corysbeard

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:42 AM

Cory Johnson you made me cry.

shh it's ok bb

#4 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:10 AM

Sooooooooo I have some explanations to do I guess.

1. Most of what I said was me really being honest. I think 1994 had the worst music out of all the 90s years, but that was never gonna stop me from entering. I just figured I'd throw everyone off by acting like an ass, since my entries are usually pretty recognizable. I was kinda laughing at people being so serious about the whole 1994 thing, and I was laughing even harder when I watched the listening party and saw it became some sort of DoD meme. :)

2. The only reason I kept mentioning Sonic 3 was because I thought Tony would enter a Sonic 3 song and win. Then I could've had my "see, I told you" moment. :D

3. I had to spend a huge chunk of my available time just looking for any decent music to cover. I considered Windjammers at one point but that soundtrack is devoid of any cool melodies. I ran into this Rainbow Bell Adventures soundtrack by chance and figured I'd just throw together some sort of medley. Because of the medley idea and me not being familiar with the source at all, I had to again spend a huge chunk of my time transcribing the sources. All the recording was done in a few days and I barely had any time to mix the song because I wasted so much time on just starting the project.

4. Everything in my entry except for the drums and the doo-wops was played live. I recorded the piano, brass, strings and synths using my MIDI keyboard, although I had to record the piano left and right hand separately because I'm not that good of a keyboard player (also had to quantize a few parts). I don't know if anyone got it, but the piano solo at 1:25 is just the Omens of Love verse, modified a bit so it fits the chord structure. I'm thinking about doing just a quick rundown video of my project file, or maybe a bass playthrough video since I think I ended up with a pretty cool bassline.

5. I named my song "Mr. Green Hill" because the style of the first section was inspired by ELO's Mr. Blue Sky, and one of the source tunes I used is called Green Hills - Blue Skies. :)

Thanks to everyone for listening and voting, and congrats to Powellman and Snappleman!

#5 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:44 AM

you talk a big game hakstok, but you failed to make your song 19:94 minutes long, how dare you?

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

#6 Demonstray

Demonstray

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,298 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 06:01 AM

Alright Hackschlock, I've decided I'll go easy on you in regards to your punishment, but in exchange, I demand that you send me your talent by mail. I know that it comes from some ancient gem or crystal of some sort, so just mail it to me and I will not say bad things about everything you do for the rest of time.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#7 powellman

powellman

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 06:20 AM

That cover for Brevity month is so goooooood. Already got a track idea, probably wait til Friday the 31st to even touch an instrument....

#8 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:40 PM

Hakstok, your entry was one of my favorites!

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#9 M-H

M-H

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:54 PM

Whoa didn't expect to place that high having kinda last-minute thrown it together. Congrats to the weiners and here's to another decade of the best music competition on the internet.

BANDCAMP - Featuring my newest release, Maiden Voyage a tribute to the Star Ocean games
SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#10 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,511 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:05 PM

OMG, I just realized the voice sample from Cory's track is from the Dilbert videos. A+++, automatically wins the month.

DNa7A7D.jpg

#11 corysbeard

corysbeard

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:10 AM

OMG, I just realized the voice sample from Cory's track is from the Dilbert videos. A+++, automatically wins the month.

<3

I can't take credit for it though. jmr had isolated that vocal sample for the Marshall Art set like an hour before I came to him asking for suggestions for something different to fill the space where the "I Miss You" is in the original. He didn't even respond with "oh yeah I may have something." He just sent the audio file and I fucking died of laughter.

#12 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:24 PM

ENTER BREVITY MONTH U NERDS

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#13 Valence

Valence

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:52 PM

When are entries due...

#14 corysbeard

corysbeard

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:03 PM

FUCK 1 MINUTE SONGS

#15 minorfffanatic1

minorfffanatic1

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:26 PM

Hey I did an alt for this month that was a one minute son....

<checking>

YEAH FUCK 1 MINUTE SONGS!!

Stupid public computers...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users