4 replies to this topic

#1 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:04 AM

Entries are up for Robot month! 14 mains and 3 alts!

http://dwellingofdue...ls/20-06-robot/

Listen and vote! Post reviews if you can! Yes!

Send votes to dodsongs@gmail.com by 11:59PM Eastern on June 30th

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png  JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#2 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:33 AM

https://clyp.it/nmkz...9143ddf2fbd20f5

my reviews xD

iu_10481_5243319.jpg?raw=1

#3 Papahoodwinker

Papahoodwinker

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:54 AM

https://clyp.it/nmkz...9143ddf2fbd20f5
my reviews xD

Most excellent

#4 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:47 AM

Reviews:

American McGee Presents: Scrapland - Human

Cool intro. These are some great rhythm tones! I love the idea of robot vocals, but they're off-beat at some parts. I know that syncing them up better would've taken a lot more time, so consider that a nitpick. Only thing this song is missing is a kickass guitar solo.

Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross - Johnny Races FATE Down Under

Down under, where beer does flow and men chunder? I'm getting some Highway Star vibes from this. In my opinion, you should've beefed up the drums just a bit more. I never thought these two themes could fit together, but the FATE part fit in nicely.

Cyborg Hunter - Keycards Everywhere.

Great selection of sounds, but there's room for improvement in the mix. Drums are good but they could use more punch. Also, don't be afraid to make that lead guitar more wet.

Mega Man 2 - Title & Woodman Themes

I like the drum sounds. Idk if the bass is just overpowering the leads, but they could definitely use a little volume boost. I'm assuming this is the soundtrack from the Gameboy MM2? This ending part is really good.

Mega Man X - OK, Wanger

Drums could use less room, they sound a bit muffled. Bass is kinda boomy (haha get it), could've used a midrange or high end boost. Great choices for synth sounds. The pre-outro part is good.

Murder By Numbers - Picross Examination

I like your style. This is great. I guess my only nitpick is that the lead could be a bit more expressive.

NieR: Automata - Copy of a Copy

Ah, some acoustics for a change. This atmosphere is great, as is the playing. The percussion mix is good. Oh fuck, there's choirs too. I really like this one.

NieR: Automata - Faltering Prayer

Another slow NieR track? Great bass tone. Nice usage of sound effects. Not a fan of the brassy synth. The bass synth is dope though. The song drags on for just a bit too long.

Rockman & Forte - That's Cold, Man

The drums, man, very nice. I love this groove. Cool j-fusion vibes. I just wish there was a halftime section or some other breakdown, the non-stop beat gets a bit tiring.

Rockman & Forte - Uhrenmuseum

Nice groove, Not a fan of the bass mix, too boomy and not enough "meat". Drums might be a bit overcompressed. Weird ending.

Soul Blazer - Dr. Leo's Basement

Dancy beat? Interesting. Can't say I like the arrangement though, everything is just too empty and repetitive.

Super Robot Wars: Original Generations - The Sword That Cleaves Evil

Oh shit, cool intro, great organ sound. Drums sound thin, the kick especially needs more power. Mix could use some improvement, but I like the arrangement. These vocal shouts are great. Nice outro.

Undertale - Rehearsing with Mettaton!!!

Damn, I like this style. The mix is ok, but there's noticable compression on the drums when the crash cymbals hit. The breakdown section is a good addition, nice and chill.

Xenogears - Baile Dúchais

Xenogears in celtic style? How original... just kidding, I'm always up for some celtic music. Cool arrangement, not as good as the one from Creid but still pretty good. I like the extra 5/4 parts. I'd give you bonus points for the fadeout but something about it is a bit off, like it should've started a few bars earlier and/or lasted longer.

#5 Funbuns

Funbuns

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:48 PM

Here's my minimalist reviews and stuff:

American McGee Presents: Scrapland - Human
Good rhythm tone, interesting use of Luka Megurine(?), could've used some instrumental leads or something to break up the monotony a little bit.

Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross - Johnny Races FATE Down Under
Kinda weak paper-thin rhythm guitar.  Organ bit's kinda nice.  Lead guitar's kinda bare bonesy, but it suits the mood, I guess.

Cyborg Hunter - Keycards Everywhere.
Nice 80s vibes, particularly synthwise.  Mix could use more punch to it overall, especially the guitar leads.

Mega Man 2 - Title & Woodman Themes
Went in expecting another MM2 NES cover for the endless pile, so the Gameboy OST's a neat choice at least.  Production and performance are nice and clean, but it feels way too straightforward by-the-numbers rock with the arrangement.

Mega Man X - OK, Wanger
Beginning's underwhelming.  Also weirdly quiet.  I like the synth leads in the second runthrough of the base melody.  Second half of the song picks up significantly.  KK Slider's a weird touch there, but it works.  Not bad, but the mix sounds a bit too subdued for its own good.

Murder By Numbers - Picross Examination
Strong start, really good lead guitar right off the bat.  Not much I can honestly nitpick about with this one in terms of execution and production values.  Arrangement-wise, it feels a little bare bones, but that's hard to judge without the source material on hand, I guess.

NieR: Automata - Copy of a Copy
Nice chill ambient vibe to the whole thing.  Excellent vocal work, assuming it isn't just sampled directly from the game or something.  Drags on a little towards the end.

NieR: Automata - Faltering Prayer
Lo-fi beats to study and/or question existence to.  Lost my tiny babby level attention span about a minute in or so.  Next.

Rockman & Forte - That's Cold, Man
Kind of an odd choice of the dinky little electric piano sound for the main melody in the beginning there.  Everything else is pretty much on point though.  Love the synth leads around the end.

Rockman & Forte - Uhrenmuseum
Lead guitar tone's good and the leads are good.  Not much arrangement to speak of, it's basically just a straight cover of the opening stage that ends kind of abruptly.

Soul Blazer - Dr. Leo's Basement
I'm like 90% sure this is literally just someone playing guitar and (maybe) bass dubbed over a couple loops of an mp3 or spc the original song.  Not even kidding, look up the original.  Pretty much every sound here except the guitar matches the source song note-for-note, sample-for-sample even.

Super Robot Wars: Original Generations - The Sword That Cleaves Evil
Solid arrangement, though the mixing and mastering could definitely use some work.  If it's going for a "wall of sound" kind of deal, EQ could stand to separate everything a little better so the mix doesn't feel so...I dunno, cramped, I guess.  Feels really weirdly compressed in certain spots.

Undertale - Rehearsing with Mettaton!!!
Cool, swing beat.  Nothing too flashy here, but it's more of a creative take on its source material than most things this month and I respect that.

Xenogears - Baile Dúchais
Ooh, happy-go-lucky town music vibes!  Not much to say about this one.  Tight performance and all, but it went on a lot longer than it needed to.

"I'm nuclear, I'm wild..." - Gandhi

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwelling of duels, dod, robot, beep boop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users