• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:11 AM

25 entries, 5 alts!

http://dwellingofdue...els/20-08-free/

Send in votes to dodsongs@gmail.com !!!

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#2 MooglePower

MooglePower

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 01:12 PM

That was a really solid month!

I'm Ian M from DoD and BONEHENGE and The Travelers VGM and Life Stream and Free The Green Beans and Balaur and AstroTuna and Darby & Ian and...

I'm on Spotify: https://open.spotify...eSuem-YUKOtWuRA

Also as an artist: https://open.spotify...6RgioQ36MsDzlkA

Spotify Playlist: https://open.spotify...zSNG4YaAOp8qYjw

#3 Prince Uf Darkness

Prince Uf Darkness

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 01:25 PM

Real solid with a lot of variety. MAGfest tier I would argue.

#4 Papahoodwinker

Papahoodwinker

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:16 PM

Very good month, gonna go through and do my ratings later tonight. Lots of platinum medals this round!

#5 Jett Swole

Jett Swole

Shizz n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:19 AM

Quick* review tiem:

Battletoads & Double Dragon [NES] - Into space to the dark Queen

Nice chill vibe to it so far.  Kinda monotonous for most of the song, aside from that neat little chiptune fill around the end.  Solid idea, but it could've definitely used more variation throughout.

Castlevania - Scourge of Wallachia

Decent guitar work, even if I couldn't recognize any actual Castlevania material until like halfway into the song.  Picks up ok around the Vampire Killer part.  Not personally a fan of super heavily downtuned guitars where they don't really need to be that way for the song to work, but is whatevsies.  Could've probably managed a better ending than the fadeout.

Celeste - Resurrections

As much as I REALLY thought I'd hate this one by default for being the token 15+ minute song that holds the listening party hostage...this was pretty good.  Big Pink Floyd vibes all over and I dig that.  Could've still stood to be much shorter, but it's varied enough to stay relatively interesting for the most part.

Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - Nuclear Chipmunk

I can picture what this might've sounded like in chiptune form without having played it, but the translation to guitar is just really weird and chaotic.  Not to say it doesn't work, cause it sort of does, it just feels really erratic.  Not bad though.

Crawl - Abyss Clash

The drums could stand out in the mix more.  Nice breaking out into weird rhythms around the 2 minute mark, I dig the mood shift there.  Also Flowey laugh sample, because sure, why not?

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Hot Head Bop

Nice funk to it so far.  Lead guitar tone could stand to be a bit thicker.  General MIDI-ass brass there if I ever heard it.  Record scratch thing sounds kinda goofy and out of place.  Same with the clap.  Decent ideas, not so great execution.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Frozen Flames

Agreed with the listening party that this sounds ungodly 80s action movie-like.  Dunno how to describe it since I'm terrible at keeping track of the endless rabbit hole EDM subgenres, but this slaps.

Doom 2 - Shawn`s got the Shotgun

Huh.  Weird kick drum sound.  Really click-clacky, kind of obnoxious.  Bass could stand to be more audible with how little there is going on guitar-wise.  Attempt at a blast beat bit doesn't really work here.

E.V.O.: Search for Eden - Land of Ikustega

Goofy and lighthearted but not bad.  Nice change of pace from the rest.  And DRASTIC mood shift.  Feels kind of sudden, but the song was weird enough from the start that it didn't feel too out of place.  Ends abruptly though.

Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua, Fate/Grand Order - King of Knights

Nice solid power metal thing going on here.  Emiya synth riff cameo, I see you thar.  Guitar wanking solo doesn't outstay its welcome.  Chill tone shift.  I think I kinda like this part better than the first half.  Nice outro.

Final Fantasy 6 - Aria di Mezzo Carattere

Good string work if live, mediocre vocaloid production.

Final Fantasy 7 - Cid's Theme

How does someone end up this off pitch on a fucking synth?!  Guitar's whatever, pretty much no liberties taken on the arrangement, all-around pretty bad.

Final Fantasy 7 - Costa Del Sol

Lo-fi as fuck, kinda monotonous, don't really care for it.  Sounds like the kind of shit I'd hear for hold music over the phone.

Mario Kart 64, Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario World, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Super Mario Bros. 3 - Nostalgy

Meh kinda guitar tone, but the medley flows pretty well and seamlessly.  A lot of medleys fall into the trap of just randomly stringing together unfitting songs, but this ain't one of them.

Night In The Woods - Die Anywhere Else

Guess I'll die...(anywhere else)  For realsies though, this sounds like a pop punk song being sung at one of those karaoke bars with bad midi backing tracks for everything.

Pokemon Trading Card Game - I'm Not Going to Lose to You!

Fuck yes, I love this game, this OST, and particularly the source song!  You done Ronald's theme justice, DoD Anon, good on ya!

Serious Sam 3 - Bombsquad Apocalypse

This takes me back to my high school days when I was seriously into this kinda diarrhea-gargling vocal bit.  In hindsight, I don't know how I ever took that kinda thing the slightest bit seriously.

Sonic Mania - Casiopolis

Fucking stupidly loud future funk-ass drum beat, so points off for that, but amazing otherwise.  Whoever made this clearly knows exactly what J-fusion fanatics they're pandering to.

Sonic Unleashed - The Goddess Rouge

Sounds about right for a Rouge theme if I remember the Sonic Adventure 2 days clearly.  Vocals are fitting and well done.

Street Fighter 2 - Return of the World Warrior

Solid but really generic.  Not much to say about it, I guess.

Streets of Rage 4 - DJ K-Washi

Damn!  Definitely faithful to the old Streets of Rage musical stylings.  Mixed feelings on the djent element, but it works well in this context.  A bit on the short side, but it's probably for the better since it feels like the kind of thing I could binge listen for a while.

Super Mario 64 - BLJs for Days

The downtuning and/or 7-string feels really unnecessary here.  Kinda kills it for me.

Super Mario Odyssey - Steam Gardens

Well-played and accurate to the source, but doesn't do nearly enough to actually play with the arrangement.  The first time I listened to it, I didn't even notice that it broke from a basic loop at all.  Also ends incredibly suddenly.

Tecmo Super Bowl - TOUCHDOWN

Needs some kind of style or flair of literally any kind aside from just throwing in game samples.  Guitar sounds like it was just plugged in direct input, unfiltered completely, and played with as little enthusiasm as humanly possible.

Yoshi's Story - Yoshi at the Sandbar

Chill summer vibes, par for the course for Yoshi's Story.  Pretty much what I'd expect with a few nice touches like the steel drum bit.

Good month overall though, for realsies!

#6 evilsonic

evilsonic

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:37 AM

OK - it has literally been over 10 years since I've submitted a track and I haven't been listening and critiquing probably since then, so take all this with a grain of salt. 

Abyss ClashReally interesting elements to kick off the song – just when I was about to say that one thing’s been playing long enough, it cuts out a minute in. This has some real solid production. I don’t know the source, but it sounds stressful. The quality is excellent and I like this arrangement. There are a lot of really interesting individual things happening, but they come together cohesively. Good show.

Aria di Mezzo CarattereI’m having trouble figuring out what’s live and what’s digital? Nice arrangement, and a great sound, but the vocals sound a bit auto-tuned in a way that distracts just enough. I like listening to this, but I’m not sure how to evaluate it constructively.

BLJs for DaysThis starts off really well – I can’t hear this song and not think of Carbo’s Penguin Cap from Mario month, but that’s an unfair comparison. I like the guitar licks a minute and a half in – there’s also a danger of leaving the source material behind and going to Wanksville, but that felt very much in theme with the source. Good show.

Bombsquad ApocalypseThis is not my genre, and I can’t really add much. The vocals that are sung (as opposed to growled) around a minute in are excellent, it makes me want to hear more of that. The tonal shift away from the growl is much more my bag. I don’t want to ding the song for my personal preferences, but there’s clearly some skills.

CasiopolisOh, hell yes. This is a straight up banger. I have nothing to add, I’m just going to rock the fuck out for the next 4 minutes.

Cid's ThemeAs someone who has released out-of-tune tracks, I know it sucks when that’s what all the feedback is about, but it’s a crucial place to start. Keep working at it, and submit new things.

Costa Del SolI really like the way this starts. Nice playing, nice arrangement, nice mix… this is my kind of song.

Die Anywhere ElseVocals are not strong and distract as central instrument. The rest of the instruments are OK. I like the style it evokes. 

DJ K-WashiNot necessarily my style, but there’s an engaging quality that keeps me interested. 

Frozen FlamesUnderstated, in a really good way; solid production, nice build.

The Goddess Rouge - Vocals are pretty good, and other instrumentation blends nicely. There’s something interesting going on pretty much throughout. The voice has a certain quality that sticks really well.

Hot Head BopThe instruments all sound good on their own, but they don’t blend very well – it feels like there are excellent parts from a few different songs that are being played together. I really like some of these individual pieces, but it feels as though it needs to be fleshed out a bit more. There are some repeated parts that go on just a little too long.

I'm Not Going to Lose You!Really fun open. Solid playing, excellent mix, it hits the ground running. It builds on that momentum in a way that give the song a good trajectory.

Into space to the dark QueenThis song has a great opening, but there are a few odd percussion choices that seem out of place. Can’t quite place what it is, but it distracts from a really cool take on familiar source material. Around the midpoint of the song where it relies heavily on the drums, it stands out as being noticeably sequenced. I think I like the chip elements introduced towards the end? 

King of KnightsVery busy mix, guitars feel like they could have a little more pop. The drums are a bit overpowering. I like the arrangement. The strings felt disjointed, but the synth is working well. The song kicks it up a notch around the 2-minute mark. Guitars have that pop I was looking for… would have liked that sooner. Drums are still a bit overpowering and repetitive. The slowdown after 4 minutes seems abrupt… once I’m there, I like parts, but it’s still somewhat disjointed.

Land of IkustegaOoooh! I like this! Minimalist, fun track… there are some notes that sound a little off-key, but they’re catchy, and the foundation is so spot on you can tell it’s deliberate. The kick-up around 1:30 is nice and keeps the same fun atmosphere. The one item I don’t love is the rapid kick drum, there doesn’t seem to be any change in velocity so it’s noticeable.

Nostalgy The guitar tone at the start is not doing it for me. The backing tracks don’t have too much life in them, but the concept behind the arrangement is great. There’s more logic to how we get from one source to the next than I would have expected. All in all, I’d be very excited to hear this artist come back to this down the road, there’s promise here.

Nuclear ChipmunkThis doesn’t let you ease in at all. In that I feel uneasy at the start. It’s well recorded and well performed, but it’s aggressive from the beginning. Some variation after the midpoint that’s a nice break. I think there’s a certain mood I need to be in to get the most out of this. I’m not there right now, but I’ll keep this track in mind, it’s got a lot of strong elements

ResurrectionsNice intro – I feel like a song that’s pushing 19 minutes has to have a slow build. That first minute is so simple, but it definitely sets the mood. Smooth, deliberate guitar that comes in after that is spot on. The shift at 2:30 is pleasantly surprising; this song is definitely telling a story, and even when I don’t know the source material, I understand the world that’s being built here. I’m reminded of some of the mega-medleys that came from DoD 15 years ago (Crystal Flash, Scourge of 1691, Fall of IronSpire, and Unsealed)… this feels different somehow in a way that doesn’t diminish this or the 4 I just mentioned. Kicked up a notch 6 minutes in – it both feels like we’re just getting started and I’ve been here for a wonderful long time. Man, I really love this song. There’s a 28 Days Later vibe that works for me. There are points where it feels like there are just a few instruments in play but it sounds so full and fleshed out. Close to the 15 minute mark, and it’s entering a calm. I always get nervous when a see a track that’s 10 minutes long, it feels like a lot is being asked, and when it’s anonymous, there’s the blessing and curse of not knowing who did this and if it’s going to be worth the time commitment. This does not disappoint.

Return of the World WarriorHere’s some good upbeat fun. I’m playing these alphabetically, so it’s a hell of a shift from Resurrections, but it’s got such a nice kick it brings me in right away, so I'm not comparing the two. Great mix, great playing, I dig the tone. Hitting the two-minute mark, and I think it should have ended without the last 40 seconds. It’s a nice sound, but it’s very out of place with the rest of the track.

Scourge of Wallachia Really ominous opening, it sets the tone for a Castlevania track well. And kicking it up a notch a little over a minute in plays well. The repetition of the theme is done just long enough before it gets to be too much. Are those strings in tune? I feel like there’s something off, it’s been a while since I’ve listened to things critically like this, and I’m very willing to entertain that I’m missing something, but it seemed just a bit off. Three and a half minutes in and the guitar solo, while skilled, seems out of place. Much better guitar playing than I’m capable of, but it doesn’t feel like it blends with the rest. There are more things that I like about this than I don’t, so I hope I’m not coming off too harshly on this.

Shawn's got the ShotgunWhat’s happening here? Is the fella holding the shotgun a reference to the artist submitting the track? The further into the song we get, the more structured it feels… it started off feeling a bit sloppy, but it gets it together in a way I like so it all works. Real solid entry, I dig it.

Steam GardensFun song; it feels like some of it is doing one thing while the rest of the mix is doing something else… it’s noticeable, but I like it. Some nice guitar going on around 2:45, this track is doing it for me.

TOUCHDOWNHey, do you guys remember the Minibosses? There are a lot of great tracks that come out of DoD with some really polished, well-produced orchestra, choir-type sounds, but I still love a drummer, bassist, and two guitars. Double thumbs up

Yoshi at the SandbarGood fun – is that a harmonica? It’s really well played, but I’m not used to hearing something like this, and it feels like it’s overpowering the track… this may very easily be me, but I feel like if it was scaled back just a little bit, it would be perfection. Right now, it’s pretty damn good. Steel drums make a nice touch. This has a better than 50% chance of getting some significant repeat play with the end result of everything sounding just right the more I listen to it. I dig it.

Remember... No matter where you go... there you are.
-Buckaroo Banzai Adventures Across the Eighth Dimension

he/him/his

Letterboxd

#7 Katajun

Katajun

Keep rollin', everybody

• Members
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 01:24 PM

Battletoads & Double Dragon
Love this source tune, I think this is a very nice chill take on it. Since its very spacious, I would have loved for the snare to have a longer reverb on it, blend it in with the guitar reverb, yknow? Actually the entire kit could use some reverb. Chip ending was interesting if not a little out of place, felt a little shoehorned in.

Castlevania
Cool intro, though it feels a little simple and just loops a bit without going anywhere or adding anything on the second loop... then MTL!!!!!!! Your kick is very clicky and could probably come down some while bringing up the snare a hair. Also, the leads feel like they get a little buried under with the rhythm guitars. The strings are a nice touch, but when they are doing the sustain notes at the beginning of Vampire Killer, they are suuuuuper muddy. Sounds good when they go up into the next octave and staccato for the B section. If you didnt already, put the lower string and the high strings on different tracks and treat them differently with EQ and such. Guitar solo is very nice, great energy. Transition back to the slow half time section feels a little sudden, needed a drum fill or something to go back into it.

Celeste
Not familiar with the source tune, but its whimsical enough to be memorable by the end of this track (ALL 18 MINUTES!!!). I like the energy changes in this. Well mixed, the distorted bass contrasts nicely with the guitars.

Chip n Dale RR 2
Very high energy. Drum/Bass/Rhythm mix is real good, but the synth feels a little overpowering in places. Lead guitar could go up and the synth down instead. Bass is really slick, live or sequenced??? Fun arrangement.

Crawl
Right off the bat, this drum mix feels very squashed, the kick and snare both sound like they have been lowpassed, missing some CRACK, and just overall quiet/distant. Interesting transition into the second half, but you should have built up more tension during that slow down in order to relieve it when everything goes FAST MODE. I like the FM style bass sound, and the synths overall are pretty fun.

DKC2
Electronic drums = intentional machinegun that sounds good. Pretty solid mix, though I think the backing synth during 0:30 and repetitions of the section could be a bit more 'pluck'-y to help it break through the mix. I like the vibe that the brass is giving off, but to really sell it I think it could use a stacked 5th and/or and octave as the song goes on.

DKCR: Tropical Freeze
Hell Yes. Sick synths and sick guitars in this track. Moar reverb on the snare!!!!! Great energy building through this arrangement. Gimme dat Myrone Tone. When the double kick comes in I think its slamming your master compressor or something and getting a little pumpy, but thats the only bad part of this track. Maybe could use an additional layered synth in the arrangement during the part from 2:52 until the dropouts before the final section, just to really SELL it. OR you duplicate the section from 2:36-2:44, build it up really hard, then  when the next section comes you drop everything except the guitars for two measures or so, then SLAM back in with everything youve got to bring it home. Also terminator ending

Doom 2
Not sure how intentional the slappy drumkit intro is, but it is a little ridiculous sounding when it starts doing 8th note triplets. Snare drum can come up a lot on this. I like the doom-metal harmonies on the leads. Yeah your toms need more low end to really have an impact. I think i mentioned during the listening party that this feels like in the drum mix everything is out of phase. Synth feels a little out of place here, maybe a different sound would be better.

EVO
Love me some unique arrangements like the first half of this. THough the second half feels like a totally different song. DOUBLE KICKKKKKKKKKKKK BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBR. I honestly think you could have gone into the second half without changing the guitar tones at all and simply adding in the drumkit and it would have been fine that way.

Fate/stay/Leave/IDK
Symphonic metal here we goooooooooooooo! Guitar harmonies are nice and tight. Kick could use a little more 3k-5k click imo. Snare kinda sounds like a china cymbal due to the reverb on it, more dry signal! I really like the use of synths in this to compliment the orchestral elements! At 3:33 I really noticed that the rhythm guitars didnt sound "chuggy" enough like they would in a power metal song doing that kind of section, maybe a bit more 500hz would help that, or maybe adding click kick would alleviate the issue, not sure. The transition into 4:15 felt a little empty but I like the use of soft synths.

FF6
Hat soon Mike OOO. Live strings in this sound real nice. Like everyone said, this is a very straightforward arrangement, but its a great source tune so thats fine. If you were going for a big orchestra vibe then maybe some really wide panning could have added to that immersion.

FF7 - Cids Theme
This is tough to give feedback on, since its very different from what we normally get. I like the heavy use of synths, though they all kinda clash, like the brass is a little overpowering and masks the mellotron. The guitar playing is very static, i hear very little vibrato, and the tone is kinda honky. Arrangement is nice, but if im not mistaken it was just two loops and a fade?

FF7 - Costa Del Sol
Great soundscape in this track, nice use of filtering and dropping/adding instruments to keep the arrangement fresh. OCR would eat this up

Mario, Sonic, Etc
MT POWERDRUMKITTTTT. Drums all panned slightly left? Kick can be louder. Also I can hear in a few sections that there is rhythm guitar but its soooo quiet you cant tell whats going on with them. Overall I think the leads are a bit too loud compared to everything else. Cool use of piano as a backing. The leads at 1:52 can be tightened up a lot. I like the song choices in this and they do flow together very nicely! Guitar tone gets really honky during the SMW, and having a billion guitars with the same tone doesnt help. Maybe try using different amp sims/cab impulses on the lead vs harmonies to help them not get so mushy.

Night in the Woods
I love what this is going for. Gimme that 2000s-era Yellowcard sound. Vocals are a bit loud compared to everything else, and the synths are veeeeeryyy quiet. Harmony vocals are also quiet compared to the lead vox. I think it could be a really slick track once those are worked out! Abrupt ending, oof.

Pokemon Trading Card Game
This track is awesome, great source tune, AMAZING guitar playing and tone, funky drums, tight brass. Nothing else to say except UNFFFFFFFFF

Serious Sam 3
Big Chuggy, really tight low end on this. Vocals could be a bit louder and take up more high mids, along with the lead guitar that comes in.

Sonic Mania
Yeah whatever you dont need any feedback, except damn this thing is LOUD.

Sonic Unleashed
I love how many atypical styles we are getting this month! The flute is very nicely played, adds a bit of Jethro Tull vibes to this track. Great organ tone, great vocals. overall great jazzy vibes on this track, very nicely mixed too.

Street Fighter 2
Loving this energy! The low end feels a little muddy, with the bass synth (and bassy snare reverb? not sure). Guitars sound awesome! My only complaint is that the constant doot, dat, doot doot dat of the hat-less drum set leaves little for dynamics. I like the fake fade out to toy piano.

Streets of Rage 4
TECHNODEATH. INDUSTRIKILL METAL. Needs more power tool sound effects. Not familiar with the source, but I like whats going on in this track. Good changes ups keep it interesting. Well mixed track!

Super Mario 64
Compared to the last track, this feels like it lacks some high end 'sparkle', but it reminds me of old CarboHydroM and those always worked well. Can hear everything pretty decently. Nice sleigh bells, just what we need in this hot as hell August! Good guitar playing all around, and soloing over the chord progression is always a nice way to extend a track, especially when they are slick solos like this. Also just realized this was a 192kbps mp3, wonder if thats the lack of sparkle im hearing? HEY DOD PEOPLE, SEND IN 320KPBS CBR MP3S! WE CAN HANDLE IT I PROMISE!

Super Mario Odyssey
I like this source tune a lot, very fun and takes me right back to the game. The drums in this track are suuuuuper quiet. Everything else is pretty solid, great guitar work and organ playing. They compliment the song very nicely. Guitar solo could have come up some more as well.

Tecmo Superb Owl
Advantage style, i dig it. Classic VGM. Cant really hear the hi hat on the drums (when its closed) and that causes it to just sound like kick+snare in a few spots. Bass is kinda stomping on the kick drum leaving it hard to hear. I would say add more click to the kick, but I think a boofy kick fits the vibe of this song better, so I would notch out the kick fundamental as much as I could from the bass guitar instead.

Yoshis Story
Great tune, amazing rendition and instrumentation. The wide imaging on the percussion really adds to vibe. Makes me feel like I am in France and Brazil at the same time!

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png JIEXWZw.png
PC Game Metal

#8 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:56 PM

Battletoads & Double Dragon [NES] - Into space to the dark Queen
Coooooooool! I feel like most people don't know aobut the NES version
Very good recording, good job.

Castlevania - Scourge of Wallachia
REallll cool intro.  I think I heard a wrong note in vampire killer.  Come on.
Gooooood guitar playing.  Super heavy.  Maybe TOO heavy.

Celeste - Resurrections
Oh yeah I should play this game.
I lovved that intro, don't listen to the idiot short attention-spanners.
Really cool style on the next part.  Drums and guitar, but not METAL or whatever.
What drums are these btw?
Man soooooo coool.  I wanna hear the original now

Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - Nuclear Chipmunk
Heck yeah, Daemon9623 introduced me to this soundtrack.  So good!
Sooo good.  AWesome bass.

Crawl - Abyss Clash
That super fast synth is soooooo good!!
No idea about the source tune, so I dunno what was arranged.  But I'm hoping you got the right notes!
Coool mix of synths.

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Hot Head Bop
ROFL that first chord hit.  I think you gotta double check that one.
Guitar tone and playing could use work.  Smoother playing in general.  something about the mix...it's clear, but like, too dry, the stuff's too separated?  I do like the clean gutiars, and the piano/Epiano

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Frozen Flames 
Whoah hugge K.Rool drums.  Such good synths, amazing mixing.  Great guitar tone!  Man this is all amazing.

Doom 2 - Shawn`s got the Shotgun 
rofl  these are THE most paper-y drums!  The synth pokes out in a weird way.  Still Doom, still rules. That last guitar solo sounded cool, great tone.

E.V.O.: Search for Eden - Land of Ikustega
rofl

Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua, Fate/Grand Order - King of Knights
Pretty cool arrangement, awesome playing!  I think some of the tones and mixing could be much better.  The lead playing in the slower section could be waaaaay better.  Less accidental slides, slower wider vibrato.

Final Fantasy 6 - Aria di Mezzo Carattere
Nice singing, Maiko Z of theshizz.org/forum

Final Fantasy 7 - Cid's Theme
SICK synths.  REAL detune!

Final Fantasy 7 - Costa Del Sol
Reallllly good tones, the main lead synth sticks out too much for my taste?  And the kick and bass are a bit intense.  But I guess it works.  There's soooo much good stuff going on the background - gutiars and more backing synths.

Mario Kart 64, Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario World, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Super Mario Bros. 3 - Nostalgy 
Gutiar tone needs work obviosuly.  I wish I could give tips on how!  I love that the lead is double tracked and panned.  Less accidental slides would help a lot.  More vibrato (and slower and wider).

Night In The Woods - Die Anywhere Else
Good singin!  I think the drums should be louder.  More panning on the guitars/synths?  More high EQ on lots of it.

Pokemon Trading Card Game - I'm Not Going to Lose to You! 
wtf this is so good.  I want those tones.  Please do a rundown of your recording and mixing.

Serious Sam 3 - Bombsquad Apocalypse
oh man, BEST intro.  Dang this is reallllly good, great singing.  Pretty cool guitar.  Rhyhtms are amazing, leads, I feel like could be less scooped or something?  Slower, wider vibrato.

Sonic Mania - Casiopolis
rofl it's SO LOUD, I thought the volume wars were over!  Awesome tones.  Please do a rundown of your tones, especially the bass tone.

Sonic Unleashed - The Goddess Rouge 
Niiiiice singing, nice singing, Maiko Z of theshizz.org/forum
Whoah who plays flute???
Awesome arrangement!!

Street Fighter 2 - Return of the World Warrior
Pretty cool!  I dunno about that ending.  Unless I'm missing a reference.

Streets of Rage 4 - DJ K-Washi
Whoah realllllly cool tones

Super Mario 64 - BLJs for Days My Song
ok, I hate distorted/rock style arrangements of acoustic mario songs, but this guitar playing is AMAZING.  REallllly good solos, great arranging.

Super Mario Odyssey - Steam Gardens My Song
Cooool idea, cool guitar, but mixing needs work.  Tones are great, but needs better balancing?  Louder drums, quieter organ?  Yeah, quieter organ, ESPECIALLY when it's not lead.  Seriously good guitaring though.  Rofl perfect last note.

Tecmo Super Bowl - TOUCHDOWN 

Yoshi's Story - Yoshi at the Sandbar 
YES!!  Omg these tones are amazing.  Please teach me how to mic melodica.  And please reveal your upright bass sound.

Ballcrosowed - Segathi's Stroll
Ball crow WHAT now?  Anyway, prettttty sick bass.  Nice and short.

Dan Dare III: The Escape - Truth or Dare
Who's Dan?
Pretty cool.  Nice lofi ish cover.  I love the arpeggio synth!  I feel like this'd sound better with more "produced" type mixing.

Shining Force, Shining Force 3 - Shining Force Month: «Forgot-to-Send»
Rofl how do you forget to send??  Cool black metal.  Cool choir and strings!  Which, through the power of cultural appropriation I guess is still black metal?  Nice.  I love the panned guitars.

Street Fighter 2 - Bathhouse Boogie (E. Honda's Theme)
Get 'em with the ol' "Start with a soundclip"!  Heck yeah sick tapping.  But the guitar's so quiet.  Or the piano and synths are too loud.  Also the guitar has a phaser or something on it for some reason.

Vectorman - Robot Month: «Lack-of-Time»
Oh yeah, like Castlevania Level 6 "Lack of Time".  uh...pretty good, good job.

#9 corysbeard

corysbeard

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:42 AM

Celeste - Resurrections
Oh yeah I should play this game.
I lovved that intro, don't listen to the idiot short attention-spanners.
Really cool style on the next part.  Drums and guitar, but not METAL or whatever.
What drums are these btw?
Man soooooo coool.  I wanna hear the original now

I'm using SD2 and the Independent SDX. The kick is a Slingerland Rolling Bomber and the snare is a Gretsch Round Badge. I have different room mics side-chained gated to open up for the kick and snare separately. I'm really happy with how my drums turned out this go around. Now I just gotta get that way about my other elements, guitars ect.

#10 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 12:25 PM

I don’t really keep up with DoD but this Jeff Swole person seems to post like a dick! Is this regular for this scene? There are plenty of ways to voice criticisms without being an asshole about it, as other people in this thread have demonstrated.

eKawlATs.jpg

#11 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 12:43 PM

Yeah Jett, "stern but fair" is one thing, but you get more over the top as the reviews go on.

For anyone still curious: my strings are live (layered with BBCSO, but just barrrrrely). And that's Synthesizer V (a new Vocaloid type program). I'm actually really happy with my vocal production, even if it's not most people's thing. But I do want to get better orchestra sounds. My main question on that is: how do you be more dynamic (in the good way - performance wise), while keeping the bad dynamics in check (the stuff you need to fix with compressors for a good *recording/mix*)

Also just FYI: Francis's FF7 track was probably all hardware synths - he owns real Moogs and Mellotrons and all that. Hence weird flutes and trumpets and detuned square. I thought theshizz loved the "out of tune tape" vibe hahaha

#12 evilsonic

evilsonic

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 12:50 PM

Also just FYI: Francis's FF7 track was probably all hardware synths - he owns real Moogs and Mellotrons and all that. Hence weird flutes and trumpets and detuned square. I thought theshizz loved the "out of tune tape" vibe hahaha

That's pretty cool - I'm going to give that a re-listen with that in mind.

Remember... No matter where you go... there you are.
-Buckaroo Banzai Adventures Across the Eighth Dimension

he/him/his

Letterboxd

#13 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:17 PM

Jett Swole's comments are totally tame (and lame but that's beside the point).

amTr0fm.png

#14 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:19 PM

I just wanna see his take on "good" vocaloid production. Seriously - cause I wanna get better at it.

#15 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:28 PM

Also I just got to Jett Swole's entry and the lameness seems to carry over musically. But I think Jett Swole is just trolling to make a point that Snappleman in 2007 was an asshole. I will present my arguments below:

• strore brand Queensryche arrangement
  • guitar tones that sound like pirated Amplitube 1.0
  • "bass guitar" being just a wash of low end rumble
  • synth sounds reminiscent of the alarm on my casio digital watch
  • guitar playing devoid of feeling or expression
  • drum sounds that are just the "far room mic" from Dr.Feelgood that was muted from the final mix cuz it sounded like papery shit
  • cheaply ending on a power chord
  • "mixing" done by slapping SonitusFX suite 2001 compressor on master bus and setting threshold to -40db, makeupgain on max

that coupled with the nature of the reviews make it seem like this is just to troll theshizz for the Snappleman reputation of being a dick but not having the musical chops to back it up. Well played.

amTr0fm.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users