28 replies to this topic

#1 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:24 PM

Whoa, I get to be the one to start a thread! 

I have been greatly enjoying this game since the full version came out. I had quite a few people singing its praises to me when it was in early access, so I gave it a try even though I hadn't played any of the other Supergiant games and I was instantly hooked! I know quite a few shizzies have been playing too or at least giving it a go. Aside from being very, very fun, it also has a killer soundtrack and some really awesome musical vibes. And YOU CAN PET THE THREE HEADED DOG :D 

Some of my current stats in the spoiler tag below, I definitely have preferred builds and particular boons that I aim for, but once in a while I'll shake it up and try to challenge myself to use a weapon I don't like, or just try to get one of the in-game "achievements" for trying out all the various combinations of things. I have a few good videos/screenshots of particularly fun stuff that I'll see if I can get on here. I'm pretty much done with story-related stuff but haven't quite maxed everything out like a good completionist should...

Spoiler

Looking forward to seeing other people talk about their runs, favourite boons/aspects, and all that!

Is there no escape?

#2 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,140 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 07:51 PM

I *almost* started this thread the other day, but I was afraid of encountering spoilers.  I'm still not all the way done, but if there even are spoilers at this point, I'm ok with seeing them.

My first success, I had a pretty broken combo of Shield (2x attack), a few buffs to Doom, and a few buffs to Demeter's freeze beam crystals.  EZ.

Then I got out with the fists, with lots of Artemis crit buffs.

As much as I dislike the exagryph, I got pretty lucky and escaped with some Doom buffs and some REALLY upgraded Athena buffs.

Like angrypolar said in the other thread, I think it's great to start with a trinket to guide your build, then switch later.  Lately I use a God trinket and the coin purse in the first 2 zones, and the lucky tooth (extra death defy) in the last stage.

Holy hell, the soundtrack!!  Good Riddance and Orphues' lament!  And I know there's another singing song or two (I bought the soundtrack) but I haven't listened, because I'm waiting to actually find them in the game.

Polarbear, I don't like the bow.  Any tips?

#3 mana

mana

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 08:04 PM

How in the HADES do I beat the bosses in Elysium? It's very tedious to beat the first and second ones by raw fighting. :/

I've logged about 10 hours or so; very looking forward to dumping waaaay more time into it! I've yet to get past Elysium.

It's an awesome game. I've enjoyed using the sword and bow, more or less. For the bow, I've been playing it by evading as much as I can and killing off lower HP enemies. The Q arrow spray is especially good, but that's just my limited experience.

#4 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 08:11 PM

I think bano said it well, you can do tons of damage with the spread when you get close up. I personally love the Aspect of Chiron (if you’ve unlocked it) because once you get the hang of getting the homing target on the enemy and then using your special (especially if you get the hammer upgrade with more special shots), it can just demolish enemies. I like Poseidon on the attack and then Demeter on the special because it pushes them away and then slows them down. Also going for Zeus and the Zeus/Poseidon duo.

#5 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,140 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 08:12 PM

How in the HADES do I beat the bosses in Elysium? It's very tedious to beat the first and second ones by raw fighting. :/

Learn their patterns and have good upgrades/boons :/

For some context - I think I finally beat them in my 25th attempt or so..maybe more.

#6 Bano

Bano

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:05 AM

Learn their patterns and have good upgrades/boons :/

For some context - I think I finally beat them in my 25th attempt or so..maybe more.

Boons are way less important than learning their patterns though!

Boss strat:

Spoiler

#7 Bano

Bano

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:13 AM

I think bano said it well, you can do tons of damage with the spread when you get close up. I personally love the Aspect of Chiron (if you’ve unlocked it) because once you get the hang of getting the homing target on the enemy and then using your special (especially if you get the hammer upgrade with more special shots), it can just demolish enemies. I like Poseidon on the attack and then Demeter on the special because it pushes them away and then slows them down. Also going for Zeus and the Zeus/Poseidon duo.

Chiron aspect was my first clear that felt safe. I got that hammer to increase the amount of special shots in the first room, and it was so cool! After that, I tried out Hera, and learned the point blank special trick. I prefer Hera now, because it clears a lot faster and it gets me to actually use my cast.

#8 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,140 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:39 AM

Wowww ok I found an even more broken thing: Ares + Athena duo. Sooo much fast damage!

"Any ability that can deflect, immediately activated doom effects."

#9 BornInCrimson

BornInCrimson

King of The Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,751 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:54 AM

For the bow, if you get a rhythm down of power shot, dodge, power shot I’ve found you can easily stay out of the way of most attacks.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Jyqfuta.gif

#10 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:31 AM

I keep meaning to pick this up but waiting for a sale first, especially with the holidays upcoming. It looks right up my alley.

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com  ||  Castellum Sanguis LXVIII: Castlevania X68000 Tribute Album

#11 matsunami

matsunami

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,532 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:58 AM

I was having trouble with the game until I started using Exagryph with Hazard Bomb and then it was pretty easy from there.  I was able to beat the game and get the true ending in around 34 hours.  The key to any good run was getting Divine Dash from Athena.  Extra dashes from Hermes were also super helpful.  The only boons that were pretty useless for me were from Artemis.

As for the game itself, it's up there on the list of favorites I've played this year.  The rogue lite aspects were extremely forgiving and there was a great feeling of progression with each run.

UAV3t1p.png

#12 Corax

Corax

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:16 AM

I'm currently in a rut where 50% of the time I make it to the surface but can't beat daddy-o. I'm playing a bit impatiently because I just want to talk to Persephone more but my playing has gotten worse, haha. But I think it's because I'm putting time into the other weapons; for awhile all I used was Exagryph (once you upgrade the shots to 18 and don't have to reload as much it's golden) and I'm still not up to snuff (yet) with the others.

On the plus side, my partner thinks it's HILARIOUS how you can steal from Chiron and get your ass handed to you so that's been a fun couples activity of late.

#13 Corax

Corax

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:19 AM

Also just leaving this here...

Hades is about erotic punishment
https://www.polygon....otic-power-play

#14 Shoe

Shoe

Official Shizz Naruto Fanscribe

• Members
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:48 PM

Love Hades! I've only had 3-4 successful runs so far but it's a blast. Normally not a big roguelike fan but the variety of builds + music + story + art keep me coming back. Funny how things work out in it too - I hate the gun but got my first clear with it. Here's some unsolicited favorite boons/combos:

Poseidon dash - just go all out on dash boons. Add extra dashes from hermes, the riptide effect or whatever it's called, the extra knockback + boss damage and it's pretty wild. Combines real well with some zeus too, just melts rooms and bosses while keeping you pretty safe.

Fists - love em. anything that stacks is busted on attack, and a Zeus build clears rooms in seconds. Also great with an Arty crit build + those arrows that fire every time you attack. Pingo's mentioned ares/athena duo boon is busted on fists too.

Poseidon aspect sword - super fun for cast builds, but have to make sure it's a cast that sticks in enemies - I like arty's cast for that, just upgraded like wild

Bow - I like going all-out Dionysus for this since the spray can hit multiple enemies or instantly apply a full stack if you shotgun them. then run back and pick them off while the damage ticks away

#15 Bano

Bano

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:12 PM

Poseidon dash is nuts! Ridiculous damage output! One of my favorite builds is aspect 4 fists, poseidon dads, zeus' lighting strike in knockback, hermes extra dashes, gg, I'm Nightcrawler from that X-Men arcade game, but with unlimited special moves!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: video games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users