should write people back who beg nicely to them

#2 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:31 AM

I know of only a few promoters that haven't gotten blamed for not getting back to bands, and only because I am not familiar enough with any bands who have dealt with them.

It's pretty much par for the course, I will even admit to not getting back to bands, it just gets too overwhelming at times to respond to EVERY band. Maybe that's horrible of me but, I liken it to guys picking up on girls at a bar, if the girl doesn't respond back, it generally means the guy isn't what the girl is looking for in a guy. Better yet, it's like applying for a job, which essentially is what a band is doing when they want to play a particular show, most employers don't respond to every applicant that applies just to let them know they don't have the job. There are always exceptions to every rule, but saying a promoter is not getting back to you probably means, they already have another band(s) in mind or they do not think you will be the right fit for the job.

EDIT: you changed your post, after I wrote this, but what I say still holds true.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#3 bob

bob

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:45 AM

i'm trying to book a tour right now and there are folks that i consider my friends
i'm waiting to hear back from, nevermind the random strangers i've contacted.

does my band suck? it's likely, but it's probably more that there are 1,000,000,000,000,000,
0000000000000000000000000,000000000 bands out there looking for the same thing. it can get
a little depressing. but it just makes it all the more rad when things work out.

#4 lit up like a monument

lit up like a monument

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:47 AM

yeah i edited it because i thought i may have looked like i was being a crybaby (which i wasnt). this city has turned wierd since i left last. i dont even know who most of the new promoters are here now. i know that on myspace i get messages from ten thousand bands who want to play where i live and i still reply to them even if i cant help. maybe im just a sucker

#5 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:40 AM

myspace has killed everything decent that was left in the world.

I try to book shows, I don't know who you have to kill to get a show anywhere nowadays. I think it is getting harder everywhere, not just in Phoenix. It's like pulling teeth to get even a weekday show up here. I am working on getting a show for Fatigo in Seattle, and it is bloody frustrating. no one is responding at all. It absolutely sucks.

maybe they are all too busy on myspace.
you're a signature.

#6 lit up like a monument

lit up like a monument

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:55 AM

oh yeah seattle is a hell of a place to book a show in, there, san fran and LA have always been the hardest places for me to book in. it is awesome when you do get shows there and before you leave on tour you spend 100 bucks on color posters to help them help you promote the show and they cant even put them in the venue youre playing. it always makes me feel good. phoenix is definitely a lot easier to book then anywhere else i have ever lived in, it would just be nice if people could be a little more courteous

#7 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:05 PM

it's just hard because all venues have built in crowds. That is nice, but shifts the paradigm. Venues don't rely on bands to fill the venue. Any given night of the week, no matter who is playing, there will be people at the bar. There is so much buddy/buddy favor for favor stuff going on. No one here reaches out or takes chances. (seattle)

I agree that phoenix is way easier to book in. Not only because I know people, but it was easier from the start. Even when I was like 16 , I could get shows. It couldn't have been THAT hard. :)
you're a signature.

#8 mashed tates

mashed tates

Shizz Full Member

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:16 PM

i kind of like having to be buddy buddy with people to get shows. don't get me wrong, it'd be nice to contact places and be able to hook up a show that way...but knowing people is really great. it helps me feel like our band fits in with other things in other places accross the country. also, it seems like you'd have to pay your dues in order to get anywhere which is a good thing for everyone. what i mean is, if you don't play shows locally (where you know you can get some gigs), you won't meet the people that will help you get shows elsewhere. and i feel like that's a pretty important thing to do. seems like you really have to earn it and i like that.

#9 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:42 PM

meh don't worry, eventually everyone will do webcasts from their basements...

#10 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:55 PM

I am working on getting a show for Fatigo in Seattle, and it is bloody frustrating

i tried for a long time to set something up in seattle when we went up there last year. the sunset tavern was one of the few places that responded to me, but they were booked out forever. i actually wound up booking us at a place called mr. spot's chai house. just a tiny coffee/tea place in ballard. i think the guy there was named victor - anyway, they were totally receptive to having an unknown band from out of town play there. the downside: it was a free show, so we only made money from selling CD's. and we got a shitload of free tea. normally the $$ isn't an issue, but when you have to pay for your way on tour, well, it kind of sucks.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#11 Folofo

Folofo

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:58 PM

I have to agree with Donald. We (fatigo) have gone through way more "nos" than "yeses".....I used to kinda take it personal ,but now I pretty much expect people to flake on me so when they don't I'm really stoked. It's kinda funny cause the people who have come through for us (like shows in cali or whatever...free beer) are never who we expect. I don't know what the secret is..so far myspace has worked out cool for us because it's easy for people to hear our stuff and it's kinda like a press packet right there in front of em. Most of the clubs I call now don't even ask for a press pack anymore which is cool cause I'm pretty lazy. laterz Mike

#12 dharma_bum

dharma_bum

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

meh don't worry, eventually everyone will do webcasts from their basements...

hahaha... no shit....

#13 lit up like a monument

lit up like a monument

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:28 PM

yeah i agree that almost every aspect of myspace is ridiculous but when it comes to band profiles it has become a very useful booking tool. plus now i dont have to rely on anyone to update our webpage for me. it is all there and simple to use

#14 degrae

degrae

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:36 PM

most band people became bands because they like to "listen" and "absorb" the music of others, the vast majority of band people i have dealt with like to spend alot more time on their own tunes. I don't suppose too many great authors can't enjoy another writers book from time to time. Some bands, and clubs, are downright jealous of any successful effort, they would rather help a loser than get blown off the stage by a tight live show. So sad, stay small if you think small.

#15 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:38 PM

the sunset tavern was one of the few places that responded to me, but they were booked out forever. i actually wound up booking us at a place called mr. spot's chai house. just a tiny coffee/tea place in ballard. i think the guy there was named victor - anyway, they were totally receptive to having an unknown band from out of town play there. the downside: it was a free show, so we only made money from selling CD's. a

Yeah, Kwab @ the sunset is really easy to work with compared to some of the other clubs. That Chai place is awesome, but their chai is just a little too spicy, they put black pepper in it. crazy.
you're a signature.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users