#1 jhealy

jhealy

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:45 PM

so, are you english, irish, ethiopian,

my mother said today that she was angry at the idea of america.
she's 1/2 polish and 1/2 indian, she came to america because of the freedom of self, business, life, etc.
so, when she came here had to learn english, american speaking.
my mother is furious about the fact that now, we're supposed to speak spanish, chinese, viatnamese,
she came here and learned to speak the language that was set by our the government and the people
what about france, what about spain, are they openly speaking englsih?

#2 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:58 PM

For real?

She's learned the most essential language of the country. If there's a language barrier with some non-english speaking residents / citizens here, I'd think that she of all people should be most understanding and least affected by the divide.

My mom had to learn English when she moved here too, and she doesn't complain about not understanding Chinese people.

#3 hunter

hunter

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:07 PM

Being able to speak in two languages is such an advantage... I can speak in Spanish and English fluently (I'm just some dumb white italian-american too) and it's such a boon in not only being able to speak to people in Arizona but the job opportunities open up wider. I'm always amazed that a lot of the spanish immigrants who come to America learn English. I know a lot of immigrants who are fluent in English and there's nothing but kudos to be given, because I know how difficult it is to re-learn a language and understand the differences.

Your mother should be proud that she can communicate where a lot of people can't. I have quite a few friends from Europe whose parents can't speak much English, despite being here for 10, 20, even 30 years. I had a buddy whose parents were from Poland and he had to talk to them strictly in Polish. He was educated learning English and majored in Spanish at ASU, so he can do Polish, Spanish, and English, and I always get envious he can speak more than two languages. There's definitely a sense of pride she should hold in being able to communicate in America, as well as her native language.

If I had enough time, I'd learn as many languages as I could. :)
Wii: 5897-7799-8236-4316
Xbox Live: hunterxaz
PSN: hunterxaz

http://www.hunterxaz...raid_to_die.mp3

#4 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:50 AM

I'm just your typical American mutt. I speak a bit of German. :ph34r:

#5 jomama

jomama

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:55 AM

she is upset because she had to learn another language?

I would be overjoyed to be forced to learn another language, because that is the only way I will at this point in my life.

If I had a choice I would learn either Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese) or Spainish since it is basically our countries second language.

FYI
The U.S.A. does not have an official language
http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States
Isaiah 16:11 (Farting is cool)
Ezekiel 4:12 (God wants you to eat poop)
Deuteronomy 21:18-21 (Kill your son if he is disrespectful and a drunk)

Ah, the wonderful Peru

#6 eraser

eraser

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:21 AM

Out of curiosity, what's your mom's native language?

my mother is furious about the fact that now, we're supposed to speak spanish, chinese, viatnamese,
she came here and learned to speak the language that was set by our the government and the people
what about france, what about spain, are they openly speaking englsih?

I'm fluent in English and Spanish, and like others, I wish I could speak even more languages.

I'm not sure that they openly speak English in France or Spain (or whether they have secret speakeasies), but I'm willing to bet that there are pockets of immigrants in both countries where the immis' native language persists, just like here.

It should be noted that the US doesn't have an official language - here's a pretty decent Wikipedia entry on it:
http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

As far as being required to speak Spanish, Chinese, and Vietnamese - I've personally never been required to speak Spanish, Chinese, or Vietnamese. I do admit that knowing Spanish is pretty helpful sometimes.

I think it's all a moot point, though, since we all know what the 3 universal languages are that help us communicate beyond the borders of our geographical or ethnic points of origin:

1. Love
2. Music
3. Speaking our native tongues slower and LOUDER and with plenty of gesticulation
jose of The Torch Theatre - PHX's home for longform improv comedy & theatre and the Phoenix Improv Festival.

#7 larah

larah

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

Jen, my family feels the same way. Most of my family came over here after the war from Poland. None of them actually wanted to speak English, per se...but learned because that was what was required of them. To have to learn other languages in a country that has set their national language as something specific is frustrating. I think it is known that most larger countries (i.e., France, Spain, etc.) have started to teach their young English. But it is definitely not the first language in their respective countries. Did that make sense? I'm day drinking. Viva la fourth of July?

#8 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:59 PM

my mother is furious about the fact that now, we're supposed to speak spanish, chinese, viatnamese

To have to learn other languages in a country that has set their national language as something specific is frustrating...

The notion that you're pressured to learn a language just because you can't understand some groups in a multicultural environment is pretty silly. Do they really feel like they "have to" or are "supposed to" do anything?

It's also been pointed out twice-- there is no official language of the US. Sure, common sense says you need to learn English if you move here, but you have to have patience for language barriers. Our country considers being a "melting pot" a positive trait, does it not? It'd be backwards to believe in that if you also expect to get by without having to hear a language you don't understand.

#9 weener

weener

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:57 AM

Our country considers being a "melting pot" a positive trait, does it not? It'd be backwards to believe in that if you also expect to get by without having to hear a language you don't understand.

Coming from a place where there are a lot of Spanish-speaking immigrants, it's obvious that there are a LOT of people who wish for just that. There are a ton of whites here who seem to believe that they are entitled to never be exposed to Spanish-language signage, music, or people. I work at a library, and there are plenty of folks who get seriously pissed at the Spanish option on the self-check machines, the "Para servicio en espanol, marque a dos" on the phone message, and the large number of Spanish-speakers that take advantage of our services. I think it's backwards too, but there is no shortage here of people that think that America is only for people that look and talk like they do.

#10 Mary

Mary

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

I am German on one side and Swedish on the other. But it's a few generations back since anyone came from the old country in my family.

One of my co-workers just got back from vacation in Greece, and she said literally all the locals where she was spoke both English and German. I realize it may have been kind of a touristy area, but second languages (if not thirds and fourths) are de rigueur in the education systems of most other developed countries, as I understand it.

If it's easier now for new immigrants to the U.S. to learn English while they are already working and getting settled, because we make some accommodations for speakers of other languages, I agree that's probably a good thing. I can understand your mom's annoyance at what seems like unfairness, Jen, but maybe things as they are now are an improvement. I have a theory that one way to get beyond our differences is to be as different as possible: so instead of two political parties, have 23 on the ballot; instead of some arbitrary number of races like 5 or whatever, mix it up until no one can keep track; instead of one language, live in three or four.
Love like you don't need the money, dance like you've never been hurt, and work like nobody's watching.

#11 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:45 PM

the more languages the better. what's wrong with learning how to express yourself in different languages?

In a lot of other countries they learn more than 1 language fluently so they can communicate with their neighboring countries.
In high school my family had a foreign exchange student live with us from Switzerland and he spoke german, spanish, italian and french fluently. And when i lived in Rome my roommate was a girl from Japan who spoke japanese, spanish, english and italian fluently. I felt a little dumb because i only spoke english and italian and bad spanish.

i would never go live in another country and not try to learn their native language (or the language most spoken) it's kind of a slap in the face not to.

#12 dustin

dustin

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

spanish was my first language til i was about 3-4, so had to pretty much speak only english once i had to start going to school. i'd like to learn thai and japanese so i can travel extensively in their respective homelands.

#13 eraser

eraser

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:52 PM

I felt a little dumb because i only spoke english and italian and bad spanish.

El soy quando agunto! Ella balloona balunga espanyo!
jose of The Torch Theatre - PHX's home for longform improv comedy & theatre and the Phoenix Improv Festival.

#14 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

i would never go live in another country and not try to learn their native language (or the language most spoken) it's kind of a slap in the face not to.

Sometimes the above is used as an argument that agrees with complainers about people moving to the US who can't speak English. It's one I don't like.

The difference between you moving to another country and a lot of other people moving to the US, is that for you it'd be a luxury. You may not be rich, but you're the one already living in a 1st world nation and the odds of you having many more resources and much more time to learn another language are stacked highly in your favor.

I know that's not necessarily what you were saying, and I'd want to do the same, but just throwing that out there. Saying you would "never" do the above is also an idea backed by luxury. What if increasing political tensions caused violent rebel groups to invade + take refuge in your home town, and you wanted to get the hell out of your country before shit hits the fan?
Just saying. B)

#15 The Real Jeffrey Lebowski

The Real Jeffrey Lebowski

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:13 AM

Just curious, has anyone ever used those Rosetta Stone thingys? They tell me they're good, but I'd rather hear it from an impartial source.

This ship will sail, This heart won't die

Tumblr
Twitter
Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users