#5 eraser

eraser

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

Neat.

It sounds like Fizzle's "Phoenix Covers Phoenix" CD but a bit wider in scope.
jose of The Torch Theatre - PHX's home for longform improv comedy & theatre and the Phoenix Improv Festival.

#6 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

I got a myspace on this from the folks in Babaluca, so I guess they're spearheading it.

Could be a cool thing if its done right.

JRC

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

#7 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

there are actually quite a few "Shizz" bands participating in this, but i know they want to get involvement from as many people as possible.

The Shizz is helping out to act as a "sponsor" (for lack of a better term) - we'll definitely be helping to promote the compilation once it's released and we want to get as many bands as possible involved. i know time is short, but if there's anyone out there who is interested in doing it then go to the website and give them your info! it's for a great cause.

and if anyone needs to record on the cheap i know there are a lot of options - plenty of people on this board either have full on studios or can do mobile recording. PM me if you need more info. or if you're able to record other people and you want to get your name out there, post your info here.

Oh, and in case you didn't see the link above, here's a quick summary of what they're trying to do (direct from their website):

The concept is visionary yet simple, Arizona musicians will pay homage to their community by recording their own version of a song from a fellow AZ Band/Musician.

When in AZ... Music Compilation also has a sweet cushy center. Proceeds from the sales of this compilation will be donated to Valley nonprofits that support music education in schools and communities.

Please contact us at when.in.az@gmail.com if you are interested in participating. Also, download compilation details from this page.

the page has a list of all the particpating bands, all the compilation details, contact info, etc. check it out.

shizz power ACTIVATE!
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#8 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

rad!

#9 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:27 PM

recording deadline pushed back to july 27.

now you have no excuses.

DO IT.

"but nick didn't invite us to be part of the comp..."

he doesn't know everybody in the world. that's why it got posted here. if you want to do it, then goddammit, do it.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#10 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

I like this and it seems fun but why would any one outside of AZ like this?

#11 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

I think if you get some "buzz" bands on it, out of staters would pick it up just for the rarety/novelty of it.
WLST&F, AJJ, P(each)C(ake) . . . umm . . . other?
Who's hot right now? I have no idea?

JRC

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

#12 Coward Crutch

Coward Crutch

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:39 PM

seconded

so does the cover have to be of an existing band or is "local and unsigned" the only prereque"?

shitty is now.

#13 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

why does anyone outside of AZ have to be into this? Why can't we just like it?

#14 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

seconded

so does the cover have to be of an existing band or is "local and unsigned" the only prereque"?

to my knowledge, local and unsigned is the only rule.

i think the goal here - and i'm making assumptions because i didn't specifically talk to nick about this - is that they want people to look at it and say "oh, i like that band or i like that song" and as you listen to it you get exposed to other AZ bands along the way. it's going to be a digital download, so they don't have to worry about pressing discs or shipping them out of state, so their overall costs are pretty low. i give it the thumbs up because A) anything that helps bring attention to local bands is good, and B) they're giving all the proceeds to a good cause.

i don't know if anyone outside of AZ will care - but JRC is right, there are some bands involved that do have a reputation outside of this state, so that might bode well for everyone involved.

i look at it this way: if you don't do a song nobody is going to notice and nothing is going to happen. that's really the only outcome. on the other hand, if you do a song, the worst that can happen is that nobody notices. but odds are you'll get some attention (locally or otherwise), pick up a few new fans, and maybe find some other bands to play with in the future.

i heard the former friends of young americans song the other night - it's rad. if the other songs are as good as that one, this project will rule.

EDIT: so above i tried to make my second point by putting a B with a ) after it, and it turned into B). which i guess means that i endorse giving money to a good cause by using a smiley face with sunglasses. ?
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

- Martin Shizzmore

#15 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:56 PM

Hi Im mikey I ask silly questions! :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users