3 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua Cadmium

Joshua Cadmium

Shizz n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:42 PM

Uh, Hi! I'm new 'round these parts, but I wanted to share my band with you fine folks, if that's okay. We're called Square Things, and we are just starting out, though we've been playing all by ourselves for a while now. We are a two piece, with guitar and vocals taken care of by myself and drums taken care of by my bandmate, Alex Cerulean.

Please check out the website: http://www.squarethings.com/
You can click the song titles for the MP3s. If you don't want to listen to everything, at least check out songs 1 & 5. Song 4 has an interesting poetic structure (it's pretty neat-o) if you want to check that out on the lyrics page. Also, you can click the logo for some additional info.

I'd really like some feedback (even if it's quite negative - I just want to know what you guys think.)

Thanks so much!

-Joshua Cadmium

#2 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

Uh, Hi! I'm new 'round these parts, but I wanted to share my band with you fine folks, if that's okay. We're called Square Things, and we are just starting out, though we've been playing all by ourselves for a while now. We are a two piece, with guitar and vocals taken care of by myself and drums taken care of by my bandmate, Alex Cerulean.

Please check out the website: http://www.squarethings.com/
You can click the song titles for the MP3s. If you don't want to listen to everything, at least check out songs 1 & 5. Song 4 has an interesting poetic structure (it's pretty neat-o) if you want to check that out on the lyrics page. Also, you can click the logo for some additional info.

I'd really like some feedback (even if it's quite negative - I just want to know what you guys think.)

Thanks so much!

-Joshua Cadmium

I listened to 1,4,and 5

The first thing I thought of was The White Stripes not just because of it being a two piece, but stylistically as well. You have a garage rock sound which I like.
I would personally get a third instrument to fill in the space, but that is only a preference on my part.
Great vocals, you know how to sing which is always good to hear.

I like the horizontal/verticalness of lyrics on The Vibrant :)

EDIT: I went back and listened to the other songs after looking at your lyrics, currently listening to bit byte, good stuff.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#3 Joshua Cadmium

Joshua Cadmium

Shizz n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

Donald,

Thanks so much for the encouraging words!

I am a big fan of The White Stripes and I have been strongly influenced by them. I do like the same things they like, so I do think a good deal of it is just me being me. (I loved the De Stijl art movement in highschool, for instance, before I heard of the band, and I thought at the time that Mondrian didn't go far enough, that he could have omited blue and yellow and just gone with red, since it was the most dominant color. When I saw the White Stripes album De Stijl, it blew me away.)

Although I've considered having other instruments, I'll almost definitely keep it a two-piece. I'm of the belief that keeping it simple is better.

With two people, I think it is easier to get together and practice and it appears to me to be much easier to write songs. For instance, we couldn't come up with music that would fit the lyrics I had for Kickers (which by the way is about the classic video game Qix, which we're both hooked on. It's really addicting once you get the strategy.) I ended up writing the music the morning before we recorded, and Alex and I came up with a drum beat like 10 minutes before we laid it down.

The best part, though, is that it is so simple to improvise stuff (we did a good amount of that during recording, including most of my solos) and I can get crazy without worrying where exactly the music is going. We've also been playing so long that we're pretty in tune with what the other person is going to do, as well.

Also, and I think this has to be said, more people equals more that has to be spread around. I know it will be easier to do music full time (which is my goal) if we don't have to make as much money to support us.

Now a question for you: what venue do you think would be a good fit for us? Obviously, you get what you can get, but I'd really like our first show to be memorable. I'd really like to play The Trunk Space, but although I've been there several times for art exhibits, I've yet to see a show there. (I have been out of the loop for local shows, unfortunately.)

Thank you so much for checking us out! I'm really glad you liked it.

#4 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:11 PM

Yeah, I agree with Donald: you've got a very good start... outstanding voice for rock stuff. I think you can make the 2-piece work. You ought to look up Scorpion vs Tarantula (local band in a somewhat similar vein, fem vox) about where to book shows... Yucca Tap Room, Hollywood Alley might be where to start.

Most of my advice would simply be matters of taste: in the White Stripes/Raconteurs/Dead Weather tradition - I tend to prefer the stuff with a little more of a tight song structure. A little more "Fell in Love with a Girl" and a little less loose jamming/improvising. And getting real nitpicky (and really personal opinion) - if I were producing your record I'd tweak the guitar tone a bit. Less 'distortion', more 'overdrive' if that makes any sense? Less modern marshall type preamp gain and more power tube drive and strained speakers. Sorta referencing Jack White's Silvertones (basically most any reasonably healthy cranked old tube amp around 30-50w running a pair of 6L6's driving some older style speakers). Basically, it'd be like the tone you're going for, but better :-) But hey - to each their own.

All said, though - really nice work, looking forward to seeing y'all on the scene.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users