28 replies to this topic

#1 thecole

thecole

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:25 PM

i've noticed some smaller labels and even some local bands putting out tapes.
i don't even own a tape player. Some guy wants to put my bands stuff out on tape as a demo.
Are tapes making a comeback? Is this actually working even?
I thought its kind of interesting.

#2 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:44 AM

i've noticed some smaller labels and even some local bands putting out tapes.
i don't even own a tape player. Some guy wants to put my bands stuff out on tape as a demo.
Are tapes making a comeback? Is this actually working even?
I thought its kind of interesting.

i think it's kind of a gimmick - and i don't mean that in a bad way - just that it's a marketing tool and it seems like it's aimed at the ironic/hipster audience (and yes, i know that's almost a dirty word, but at least you know who the fuck i'm talking about). i don't see it having the same staying power as vinyl, but i'm sure there will always be some "tape purists" out there. i don't own a tape player either, and i don't know many people who do. so i guess it's a cool idea if you want to have a unique package to give out, but i'd question how effective it is if nobody can listen to your music. or easily get it on their computer.

the guys from pigeon religion released some tapes - maybe ask them?
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#3 billy

billy

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

fuck cassettes, it's all about the 8-track. our new double CD will also be out on 2 8-track tapes.

#4 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:03 AM

i still have a double tape deck component hooked up to my stereo, and a broken tape deck in my car

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#5 jhealy

jhealy

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

chad and i both have tape players in our cars, is this still normal? both tape players are broken, but i'd listen to tapes in there if i could. nostalgia, baby, nostalgia! but, yeah, probably not the most effective means of getting your music out there.

#6 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

when my car tape deck worked it was sweet because i have one of those tapes that can hook into a ipod. thus no need for a new stereo. now i am forced to listen to the radio. bah

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#7 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

I have a tape player in my truck. :) It's good for finding the odd thriftstore tape and playing it. I don't think cassettes will ever make a "comeback" though.

#8 bisbee slim

bisbee slim

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

unless your band is duran duran i'd say no to the tape thing.

#9 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

fuck cassettes, it's all about the 8-track. our new double CD will also be out on 2 8-track tapes.

i thought you were going to release it on one of those old school cylinder phonograph records.

or just etch it in sandstone.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#10 Guest_viewfinder_*

Guest_viewfinder_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

Both of my vehicles have working cassette decks. And....I actually just recorded at compilation tape last week of new records I had recently bought. It was hard trying to locate blank tapes (remember when there was a shit ton of variety out there?...no?) but Walmart had them. Also, I recently found my Jawbreaker "Dear You" cassette. How funny.

I really don't think tapes suck that much although I recognize utilizing them is a step backward in audio technology. They almost force you to listen to playlists from beginning to end because it isn't as easy to skip ahead or backward.

In conclusion...I'm looking for a ghettoblaster that I can take with me if I ever decide to go skate a ditch with my old school 32" skateboard (and it's not a longboard cruiser!!!).

#11 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

this reminds me of growing up in colorado, they have a lot of hippies and every once in a while a punk friend would fall off and turn into a dead head and have a would have a collection of 7th generation dead shows on tape, that was the worst.they would say "oh this jam solo coming up is the best!" i would think to myself, wow

-trunkspace

#12 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

i thought you were going to release it on one of those old school cylinder phonograph records.

My car has an 'etched sandstone' player, but it's broken. Total bummer. Does Field Services work on those, anyone know?
I still don't have a signature.

#13 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

Release all your music videos on CED.

video on vinyl
you're a signature.

#14 billy

billy

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

My car has an 'etched sandstone' player, but it's broken. Total bummer. Does Field Services work on those, anyone know?

sandstone is so 2009, its all about the granite tablets. or for you joe smith fans, GOLDEN tablets. our divine word must be SPREAD!

#15 s.cosand

s.cosand

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

anybody want me to make them a mix tape?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users