#1 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

The Phoenix Idiotarod

The Iditarod is a famous long-distance race held in Alaska. (They even made a movie about it). In the race, an idiot gets all bundled up in his warmest clothes and has a pack of dogs pull him on a sled over 1,100 miles while he stares at the last dog's ass.

The Idiotarod is quite similar, except you don't have to stare at a dog's ass! Well, there are a few other differences too. There aren't any dogs involved, you don't have a sled, and it's not in Alaska!

Replace the sled with a shopping cart, replace the dog team with 4 people, and replace the 1,100 miles of Alaskan countryside with the streets of Downtown Phoenix.

It all started in San Francisco about 10 years ago with what they dubbed the "Urban Iditarod". In 2004, New York City got a hold of it and made it ridiculous. You can check out the original San Francisco Idiotarod or feel free to Google search on that action.

Yeah?
Phoenix has a lot of cool creative people living here, and many of them are right downtown. A group of us decided that Phoenix needs to start doing more fun stuff. The Idiotarod is the first in several events being planned for our fair city.

What else?
"The Three P's"
PARTY! Well, a KICK-ASS after-party of course! A portion of the entry fees will go to buy a keg or two of decent beer, booze, cups, ice, etc. Every participant gets a free invite to the party!
PRIZES! The First place team is a bunch of idiots that COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT OF THE RACE. Prizes will be awarded as the race marshalls and organizers see fit. We look for things such as team costumes, team/race spirit, creativity, etc... There may be additional prizes announced along the way too!

So you want to do this eh? Just follow these four simple steps!
Step 1: Recruit a 5-person team.
Step 2: Register your team.
Step 3: Get a cart and show up with it and your team on Race Day!

---

i've done a few of these and my team "Muff Mondays" won the race in 2009 (actually we came in last but in this race, the winners are losers and the losers are winners!)

it is sooooo fun

#2 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

I would love to have a shizz team do this!
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#3 bunnyeyes

bunnyeyes

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

I'm in! What should be the theme?

#4 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:27 AM

i've had friends do this in the past and swear it's a blast. i'll see if i can find someone with pics.
Cheap domains, hosting, email, etc = Indieweb.co
Temporary forum for Azpunk.com message board folks = www.azpwithdrawal.com

#5 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

possible themes:

- KISS (don't know who the 5th person could be)
- Nude Dudes (we all wear nude colored body suits)
- Zombie Sarah Palin's
- Tron
- Illegal aliens (like UFO aliens, not like other humans, could wear antenae and tent city prison outfits)
- Ladies from the 80s - wear 80s-esque workout outifts, could have a boombox that plays Oliva Newton John and other 80s music
- 80s hair band?
- ZARDOZ theme - 1 person is the big head Zardoz, the others are either brutals or eternals:

Posted Image

Posted Image

it would be funny if Einhorn did one!

#6 bunnyeyes

bunnyeyes

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

I just saw Black Swan so this came to mind. Have a cart decorated like a swan and the rest of us could wear tutus and feathers and blast the music from the ballet. We should have a black swan though.

#7 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

I just saw Black Swan so this came to mind. Have a cart decorated like a swan and the rest of us could wear tutus and feathers and blast the music from the ballet. We should have a black swan though.

the cart could be the black swan - would make it out of cardboard and some feathers

that would be fun

#8 differently biotic

differently biotic

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

possible themes:

- - Nude Dudes (we all wear nude colored body suits)

makes me think of "never nude" hahahaha

goonies - and the cart can be made to look like a pirate ship
encino men
killer clowns from outspace
lollipop guild
flying monkeys
flying pigs
monty python characters
gilligan island cannibals castaways
track team from Juno
presidents from point break
jem and the holigrams
coneheads
earth girls are easy aliens
care bears - but funny versions
rabid teletubbies
love boat characters
a-team
fallopian tube swim team
brown coats
yo gabba gabba characters
alien guys from toy story
madonnas

#9 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

you could all go as dead rappers (you might have to get creative after biggie and tupac).

or maybe as the AZ republican party, such as brewer, arpaio, etc. you could name your cart the "high horse".

or pick some random movie and go as characters. like "varsity blues" or "throw momma from the train". the costumes wouldn't be that great, but seeing people's faces when you explain what movie you're from might be fun.

or you could go as the westboro baptist church. that would be topical.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#10 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

Michael Cera characters

#11 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

i'm on their email listgroup and one of the organizers just emailed out that they are only allowing 36 teams this year and there are all ready 17 registered. We need to jump on this ASAP

who is in for realz?

the event is on 2/5/11 and involves running and pushing a shopping cart with a person in it, drinking (they usually have "challenges" at the pit stops that involve chugging gross beer or doing shots etc.), throwing shit at other teams (pudding, whip cream, etc. etc.), trying to bribe and sweet talk the judges, and drinking more at the after party.

are you in?

registration costs vary by date:
* 11/12 - 11/30: $20 paypal per team of 5
* 12/01 - 12/31: $30 paypal per team of 5
* 01/01 - 02/03: $40 paypal per team of 5
* 02/04 - ONLINE REGISTRATION CLOSED
* 02/05 - RACE DAY: $60 cash only

so it would cost $8 per person if we register before 2/03/11 (if they still have team spots open)

#12 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

I'm in I think two of my coworkers are in, but won't know for sure till I get back from magfest
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#13 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

we should get as many people as we can and make as many teams as possible from the pool

so far i have:
me
camilla
donald
becky
ashley naftule
kevin vaughn-brubaker
bradon huigens
amy jean page

if you have 2 coworkers ready to go than we have two teams already!

#14 larah

larah

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

Michael Cera characters

So everyone would dress the same? I mean, since he is the same character in every movie...right?

#15 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

Michael Cera characters

So everyone would dress the same? I mean, since he is the same character in every movie...right?

i've got a couple zip up hoodies if you need to borrow them.

also, fuck that 36 teams noise. the real winners are the ones who just show up and own that race.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users