28 replies to this topic

#1 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 04:57 PM

With all the folks on this board I know we have some 'Master of Puppets' fans who probably weren't too enamored with 'Reload' or whatever that album was Metallica put out last.

I thought that black album was a sign of the end for Metallica, I've considered them irrelevant for like 12 years now. But I was a big fan of 'Ride the Lightning' and 'And Justice for All' too, and I always wished they had kept putting out albums like that.

So now I am seeing all this stuff about how their new album is no longer sing-along verse-chorus-verse stuff. Evidently they are back to their 7 minute change filled songs.

My question- is this all a bunch of shitty hype? Has anybody heard the new album? Is it any good?

And who better to ask than a bunch of excellent musicians...

#2 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 05:02 PM

4 words for you:

system of a down
you're a signature.

#3 aaronburke

aaronburke

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzadmin
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 05:19 PM

i haven't heard it yet, but
i was just talking with lkelly
about this. apparently yes,
they are back to 7 minute songs.
however, there are no solos
whatsoever, which is kind of
a shame since kirk hammett
writes some fucking awesome
solos. now an album without
solos doesn't bother me -
actually i prefer my albums
that way. but i heard that these
7 minute epics are as boring as
fuck. i want to hear it, maybe
i'll kazaa that shit when i get
home.

#4 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 05:33 PM

Jesse, you say it sounds like System of a Down? Or that I should be listening to System of a Down instead.

No solos? That could be good or bad. But boring... I mean it almost sounds like they just cut the solos out and left the songs with the same old structure.

Aaron, have you heard the new NoFX?

#5 screen

screen

Shizz Ninja++

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 05:47 PM

The Mars Volta

#6 aaronburke

aaronburke

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzadmin
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 06:36 PM

i haven't heard the nofx but
i'd like to hear it.

that's exactly what i thought
too, mike, about getting rid
of the solos but retaining the
structure - except that with
master of puppets or justice
that would still sound pretty
kick ass, but with black album
or later it would suck SO hard.

#7 capharnaum

capharnaum

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 10:19 PM

ok here's my take
i've only heard on song; st anger
and from what i've heard
jesse wasn't too far off with the system of a down comment
it sounds like nu metal
i mean, i kinda know what system sounds like (due to radio)
but seriously this was just a bad song
to add insult to injury,
the production is god awful
the snare sounds like it belongs in a skanking pickle record
no balls or body whatsoever (the snare)
trujillo (new bass guy from suicidal t. apparently)
has some backup screamo thing
which is about 10 db's louder than james entire vocal line (singing)
and it's got a fast punk beat in the middle....(insert nu metal formula here)
anyways, i don't know about the rest of the songs
i definately want to hear them
but from that one song i heard
i've completely lost whatever respect i had left for what was metallica

well all of you will hear it cause it ain't coming off the airwaves
and you can't stay away from a radio for that long
let me know what you all think?
personally they peaked at master
and bagen taking shits on the black album

fred...

#8 Danosaur

Danosaur

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 12:15 AM

Yeah, this St. Anger CD is terrible...Jesse and i have recorded better drums with a pair of headphones hanging from the ceiling because we were to poor to buy a real microphone.St. Anger..fits them well because they are angry that they have forgotten how to play there old stuff...and apparently how to record as well.

#9 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 07:17 AM

I really like guitar solos as long as they aren't too long or drawn out. the first band I was in was a metal band and the lead guitarist was really good, and he would just solo and solo and solo. in fact, we kicked him out of the band eventually because of it.

st. anger is recorded really bad. I hope they didn't pay any money for that recording.

maybe it is all part of some master plan they have? I don't think they are that smart.

I think they just don't give a shit. maybe they know what they are doing is just a big joke? they are probably just going to write a few more shitty albums so that they can retire or something.

I respect the black only because that album was one of my guitar teachers. the songs were easy enough that amateurs like me could play along with them, sort of...

....>>> and burke's comment about kazaa'ing the new metallica album was pretty funny.
you're a signature.

#10 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 07:41 AM

Well, I was interested to hear your comments. Now I'm wondering why I was stupid enough to think maybe Metallica could ever be what they were.

I mean first of all, it's called St. Anger. I should have known. What the fuck do they have to be angry about? They're fucking rich white males. They can do whatever they want whenever they please. So obviously any anger is contrived. In fact, I still want to hear the album but I already know it's just another piece of shit. I guess I thought maybe they were done with dumbing down their music to make money and they had enough cash, and now they were recording an album of the stuff they really wanted to put out all along. But by now they're just corporate shills following a formula and making music is a job. Has anybody heard "Thank God It's Monday" by NoFX? The lyrics are about how when you don't have to work for a living you wake up whenever you want and Monday is great because the bar and the movies aren't crowded. Well as a bunch of 35 year old punk rock millionaires, that's probably pretty honest. But St. Anger? That's pretty dumb. The last thing we need is a spoiled 40 year old metalhead who probably votes republican wallowing in self-pity.

I had this idea a long time ago. I was thinking someone could form a total sellout band and then get really big writing songs about girls and stuff. Then at the height of popularity they could put out a punk rock album with all the lyrics about how corporate rock sucks. And they could name drop the underground bands who were doing something original and interesting. Why don't any of these big bands do that? The closest anyone ever came was Nirvana, but I'm talking direct lyrics, ya know, something like that AAA song Corporate Whore or like Drive Your Fucking Car You Asshole. Something where it's not even remotely possible to miss the point.

#11 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 08:04 AM

I was Die Hard Metallica during my youth, I remember when the black album came out alot of people were so pissed, including me. We couldn't believe that they used Bob Rock (the guy who produced Bon Jovi) as their producer. They were not in it at that point for the music anymore, it was all about the money. Especially after the Napster thing I thought I would never listen to them again. I have since gotten rid of the animosity and realized that it's all a fucking business, as much as I hate that, but it is. They have a shit load of money and will do what they can to make more. If that means becoming a whore for MTV then so be it. I personally don't like the idea otherwise I would be playing in a Blink182 cover band.

Kirk Hammet was one of my guitar heroe's when I was younger, I wish they would go back to the formula of haveing one instumental per album, like Call of Ktula, Orion, To live is to die. Then add a dark Metal Ballad like Fade to Black, Sanitarium and One, and then just ROCK the rest of the album HARDCORE man!!

They just need to sit in a room and listen to there first 4 albums and for a few weeks.

Lemmy from Motorhead is still rocking, why can't Metallica!!
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#12 Big_Poppa

Big_Poppa

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 08:17 AM

That song sucks. It DOES sound like a really lame System of a Down rip off band. I just heard it yesterday and I was wondering "what the fvck?". The vocals are not good and the production is pretty weak. (I am prepared to take shit for this but I heard a new Marilyn Manson song the other day and they sound HUGE production wise, must be nice to have Satan running the sound board?) ....Did anyone see that ICON show on MTV about Metallica? PAINFUL. I kept waiting for Jason Newsted to go, "Yeah, I saw the writting on the wall...."

What do I care, my favorite Metallica song is "Breadfan" and that was a cover anyways.

#13 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 08:21 AM

See, that's the thing Mike, Breadfan and the rest of the original Garage Days stuff sounded pretty good, especially for the late 80s. The bass drum on and justice for all sounded like a typewriter and they might as well not even have had a bass player. So when I heard they stripped down the production I thought maybe it would sound like Garage Days. Evidently not.

PS I'm not talking about Whiskey in the Jar and all that other lame ass shit they recorded in the 90s

[OBLIGATORY SHIT GIVING] Heh heh, you like Marilyn Manson. [/OBLIGATORY SHIT GIVING]

#14 Guest_nunya_*

Guest_nunya_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2003 - 09:35 AM

This is a blurb out of AZ central, this explains the anger

Anger management

Metallica singer James Hetfield says he's had fits of aggression so bad he was afraid he'd commit murder.

The growling frontman says he's even had blackouts and is using the band's new album, St. Anger, to vent his aggression.

"There were times when I thought I'd kill somebody," he tells Germany's Hamburger Morgenpost newspaper.

Hetfield also says facing his anger helped him with his alcohol addiction.

"My life was about to fall apart. I always needed a certain alcohol level and was constantly drinking," he says.

Now he limits himself to music and driving impressive cars.

"It's like cars are an extension of yourself, and I always wanted to be big and scary. That's why I drive a car that's larger than a house."

#15 Guest_nunya_*

Guest_nunya_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2003 - 09:42 AM

Isn't it a penial thing if a man uses cars as extention of himself???

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users